This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 36 - Pages: 3 [ 1 2 3 | Next ] - Last Post: 10-Oct-2019 19:43 Last Post By: PeterGibb Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
PeterGibb

Opening an album project - Target directory setting
Posted: 04-Oct-2019 20:32

Click to reply to this thread Reply
I do hope its ok for me to ask what may seem like a daft question.

When I first open jAlbum and select 'Open Album Project' the target is my
albums directory, just as expected.

However if I edit the project and do something, the next time I select 'Open Album Project'
the target is the album directory I just worked on and its then necessary to navigate back up
to the main album directory to enable opening another album.

I know this sounds all a bit lazy on my part, but it was highlighted this week when I made good use of jAlbums 'Import settings from album project' feature, and what a truly fantastic thing that option is.

It enabled me to edit nearly 200 albums and make much needed album updates to my little website.

My issue, for want of a better word, was having to navigate backwards every time I opened another project.

My question is, would it be possible to enable me to set the album directory as a permanent destination target, just as the 'Import settings' option does, as the import settings option ALWAYS targets the album directory every time I use it.

Thankyou, I do apologise if this is seen as a very silly thing, but it would help those who open many many albums quite a lot I think.

Kind Regards, Peter
AndreWolff

Re: Opening an album project - Target directory setting
Posted: 04-Oct-2019 20:52   in response to: PeterGibb in response to: PeterGibb

If you start jAlbum and next use the File / Open album project... menu item, the file system starts with the folder indicated in Preferences / Album / Project directory.
If you next browse to another folder or disk and opens an album, that disk / folder combination is the starting folder for a next Open album project action. But if you now closes jAlbum and opens it again use the File / Open album project... menu item, the file system starts with the folder indicated in Preferences / Album / Project directory. So if you close jAlbum if you are ready with a project, you get what you wants.

This is in my eyes a very good recipe which is also used by most other programs, so I hope jAlbum will not change this!

Edited by: AndreWolff on 04-Oct-2019 20:57
PeterGibb

Posted: 04-Oct-2019 21:10   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

Yes, thats absolutely fine, I do understand entirely. Though in this
case, I dont ever want to open the same album I am on my way out of.

All the software I use will target the last directory too, but its usually full
of images or documents, in this sense jAlbum is very very different and just takes me back to where I started, the current album directory, with only the current album files being available and nothing else.

I certainly dont think closing jAlbum and restarting it again would be very useful, especially when I would do it 200 times... Thats just silly!

I find it a right pain, especially when doing a lot of albums

I just wondered if there was a way to have a new setting in the
preferences section that users could set as their preference
for the target directory... Permanently!

Regards, Peter

Edited by: PeterGibb on 04-Oct-2019 20:12

Edited by: PeterGibb on 04-Oct-2019 20:17
RobM

Posted: 04-Oct-2019 21:42   in response to: PeterGibb in response to: PeterGibb

What about using the project gallery instead?
AndreWolff

Posted: 04-Oct-2019 21:46   in response to: PeterGibb in response to: PeterGibb

PeterGibb wrote:
I just wondered if there was a way to have a new setting in the
preferences section that users could set as their preference
for the target directory... Permanently!
Well you could request for a new menu item File / Open Album Project in Projects directory...
PeterGibb

Posted: 04-Oct-2019 22:15   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

The projects galley is there but not quite the same thing as seeing the albums listed in the album directory as you would normally do, the scale of it is the main thing.

I do apologise for asking this question, I wondered what would come up, a preference setting would be just lovely to have in this instance, the Projects Galley just cant compete with the established file 'open' way of seeing things, its very fancy but the gallery loading times are a little tedious to say the least and I dont use it.

When you have over a thousand albums in the albums directory and want to open one that begins with L, the gallery really doesn't cut it. Whereas opening the album directory, viewing it normally and then hitting L...... Does it instantly

I like all jAlbums new ideas and how creative you all are but some are a bit over the top I think.... Sorry about that.

If it was possible to have a simple preference setting to permanently open the specified album storage directory, after all its already there specified in the preferences section, even going to the area the current album is displayed in just as it does now would be great, but cut out this initial location showing where you are now, to be honest I dont think I have ever reopened an album Im on the way out of...

Then all bases would covered.

Kind Regards, Peter

Edited by: PeterGibb on 04-Oct-2019 21:20
RobM

Posted: 04-Oct-2019 22:51   in response to: PeterGibb in response to: PeterGibb

PeterGibb wrote:a
If it was possible to have a simple preference setting to permanently open the specified album storage directory, after all its already there specified in the preferences section, even going to the area the current album is displayed in just as it does now would be great, but cut out this initial location showing where you are now, to be honest I dont think I have ever reopened an album Im on the way out of...

Then all bases would covered.

Maybe, instead of a preference setting a keyboard modifier would be acceptable, like hold down SHIFT or ALT/OPT key to select ‘My albums’ folder. That way you can choose on the fly.
PeterGibb

Posted: 04-Oct-2019 23:05   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

Thankyou Rob

I will leave it there, just a setting that sorts it out permanently would be fine.

Key board short cuts are ok for many, but I dont do things on the fly, and dont
need to relearn, I just would like to use something familiar thats built in.

Many Many Thanks for all the suggestions, I am probably getting too old for this
and have been holding off from asking the question ever since this file opening
procedure changed in jAlbum, as I'm sure it used to do it ... Some time ago

Thanks again

Kind Regards, Peter
RobM

Posted: 04-Oct-2019 23:08   in response to: PeterGibb in response to: PeterGibb

PeterGibb wrote:
I am probably getting too old for this
You are not alone in that ;)
PeterGibb

Posted: 07-Oct-2019 11:17   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

Advancing age does have its issues sometimes, Hey Ho.

However just to finish off, if it was thought possible to have a setting
in the preferences it would be lovely.

I have my target already set there but after editing an album its not used...

My ideal situation would be...

When starting jAlbum and then opening an album project, the main target directory is
displayed, just as it is now.

Then, after editing an album and upon opening another project, I would be taken to the
main target directory again and be at the last opened albums position within it.

That would be fantastic.

Many Many Thanks to all at jAlbum for the quite astonishingly good software you have
produced over all the years, and, for listening!

I do appreciate that not everything is possible though.

Kind Regards, Peter
davidekholm

Posted: 07-Oct-2019 19:30   in response to: PeterGibb in response to: PeterGibb

Thank you Peter. I will consider it. An alternative could be to allow users to simply select a project folder. After all, 99.9% of all projects only have one relevant project file within each folder. That way there would be no walking up and down the folder hierarchy when opening album projects.

But try what I'm doing today: Use the new search bar (CTRL+Space) then simply type some characters for the project you wish to open and select the matching project from the list!
PeterGibb

Posted: 07-Oct-2019 19:51   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Heavens Above! I didn't know I could do that...

Thats very slick indeed, Thankyou very much, its very acceptable and I
shall use it from now on.

The jAlbum team never ceases to amaze me!

I still think the 'Open Album Project' option should go to the already specified and preferred
main target directory though, and not just stay inside the one you are about to leave...

Thankyou David, I am sorry if I bang on a bit sometimes...

How amazing!

Kind Regards, Peter
RobM

Posted: 07-Oct-2019 20:01   in response to: PeterGibb in response to: PeterGibb

PeterGibb wrote:
Heavens Above! I didn't know I could do that...

Thats very slick indeed, Thankyou very much, its very acceptable and I
shall use it from now on.

See the wiki help page for Search, jAlbum’s new feature
PeterGibb

Posted: 07-Oct-2019 20:15   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

Thankyou Rob,

I didnt know that either, I just used it and its a nice way to open files I have to say.

I forget a lot of things sometimes now, so will use the spyglass when I forget the key strokes.

I am very pleased I asked in here though, and am sorry if it was a nuisance as sometimes I have no idea what it is I am looking for...

I have to say this feature to find and open projects is amazing, hahaha, I wish had known, is it a very new thing ? Its brilliant

Well Done

Regards, Peter
PeterGibb

Posted: 07-Oct-2019 20:28   in response to: PeterGibb in response to: PeterGibb

Ps, Please bear with me....

The spyglass search function is very very smart indeed, would it not be better
to make it a lot more obvious, maybe move it across to the opposite side of the screen and make it bigger, Its a thing that would be used all the time yet its tiny and tucked away over there.

Its bonkers how well it works and how fast it is.

Thankyou so much, over n out!!

Regards, Peter
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums