This question is answered.

Permlink Replies: 6 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 10-Oct-2019 07:05 Last Post By: karlmistelberger Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
GHammer

Install to Manjaro (or Other Linux with no Package)
Posted: 29-Sep-2019 14:21

Click to reply to this thread Reply
I am running Manjaro and as there are no packages for Manjaro, downloaded the jAlbum for anything zip file.

Further down the same page, there are install instructions. Those instructions must be out of date as the file indicated to run for install does not exist in the extracted zip.

Download Page

How to install into a linux distro with no package?

Thank you.
RobM

Re: Install to Manjaro (or Other Linux with no Package)
Posted: 29-Sep-2019 18:46   in response to: GHammer in response to: GHammer
Helpful
The download page says, for jAlbum for anything, ‘Alternatives
Zip version: If you are having trouble using the installers, don't like installers or just want to make a minor update, try downloading jAlbum without an installer as a zip archive.’

You just need start jAlbum.
GHammer

Posted: 30-Sep-2019 17:26   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

Thanks for that.

Perhaps the other instructions should be removed. There is no install.sh in the file and no alternate linux download other than the no installer version.

Other Unix platforms - Linux (.bin version), Solaris, HP-UX and AIX:

After downloading open a shell and, cd to the directory where you downloaded the installer.
At the prompt type: sh ./jAlbuminstall.bin

Please note: Java is required to run jAlbum.

There doesn't seem to be a jAlbuminstall.jar in the zip as indicated by the directions either.
All other platforms (using the .jar or .zip versions):

Edited by: GHammer on 30-Sep-2019 23:29
karlmistelberger

Posted: 09-Oct-2019 12:32   in response to: GHammer in response to: GHammer
Correct
GHammer wrote:
Thanks for that.

Perhaps the other instructions should be removed. There is no install.sh in the file and no alternate linux download other than the no installer version.

Other Unix platforms - Linux (.bin version), Solaris, HP-UX and AIX:

After downloading open a shell and, cd to the directory where you downloaded the installer.
At the prompt type: sh ./jAlbuminstall.bin

Please note: Java is required to run jAlbum.

There doesn't seem to be a jAlbuminstall.jar in the zip as indicated by the directions either.

All other platforms (using the .jar or .zip versions):

Edited by: GHammer on 30-Sep-2019 23:29

I am running the latest packed version for production as well as the zipped version for beta testing. The invocation of the latter is straight forward:

LANG=en_GB.utf8 /usr/lib/jalbum/jre64/bin/java -jar /home/karl/Downloads/jAlbum/JAlbum.jar

You may need to adjust the path names in the above line. See also: https://jalbum.net/help/en/Manuals/Users:kmistelberger/Installation#Beta_Testing
GHammer

Posted: 10-Oct-2019 02:28   in response to: karlmistelberger in response to: karlmistelberger

I'll mark this solved as the reply was useful, though I've been running for a while, thanks to the use of debtap that takes a debian package and translates it for Arch/Manjaro use.

The yum repo is not useful to me due to my selection of Manjaro. The command for launching jAlbum is useful to me (or anyone).

I think the main point now is that all the linux info needs a look by whoever maintains such things.

Edited by: GHammer on 10-Oct-2019 08:29
jGromit

Posted: 10-Oct-2019 02:59   in response to: GHammer in response to: GHammer

The problem is that Linux users account for probably no more than 2% of jAlbum customers. When the entire staff consists three, count 'em, three people, it doesn't make commercial sense to invest time and effort to support them.

I thought people used Linux because they wanted to do things for themselves. Great. Do it, and stop demanding hand-holding.
karlmistelberger

Posted: 10-Oct-2019 07:05   in response to: GHammer in response to: GHammer

GHammer wrote:
The yum repo is not useful to me due to my selection of Manjaro.

Sure. But there are users of rpm based distributions, such as Fedora, openSUSE and others. They will appreciate a repository allowing for seamless maintenance.

The command for launching jAlbum is useful to me (or anyone).

There is help for installing and running jAlbum for anything.

I think the main point now is that all the linux info needs a look by whoever maintains such things.

Some time ago I had a discussion with jAlbum on the contents of the download page regarding Linux to no avail.

Due to lack of feedback I paused my efforts on maintaining the documentation and created a personal cheat sheet, which contains everything I need to know.

A more comprehensive, yet concise manual page on maintaining jAlbum on Linux would be useful. Feedback by Linux users will help.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums