Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.



Permlink Replies: 113 - Pages: 8 [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] - Last Post: 30-Sep-2019 19:30 Last Post By: davidekholm Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
jGromit

Posts: 7,284
Registered: 31-Jan-2006
Re: jAlbum 18.5 beta for testing
Posted: 16-Sep-2019 13:02   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
Time for ME to see a doctor perhaps? ;-)

No, young doctors just take one look at you, decide that your problem is simply that you're getting old, and send you home with advice to get more exercise and eat better. You could have a third arm growing out of your chest, and they would still tell you to exercise and eat better.

Real-world testing of the spell-checker seems to be working fine. I'm incorporating it into my skins (for fields where it makes sense), using the backward-compatible form. I'm now compiling my skins to JDK 11, and testing in jAlbum 17 works fine. In jAlbum 18.5b2, the spell-checking kicks in as expected.
davidekholm

Posts: 3,550
Registered: 18-Oct-2002
Re: jAlbum 18.5 beta for testing
Posted: 16-Sep-2019 14:59   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
Great!
hanso

Posts: 53
Registered: 16-Apr-2008
Re: jAlbum 18.5 beta for testing
Posted: 17-Sep-2019 09:21   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
Spell checker is welcome! Good idea, I need all the help I van get to get the most basic words correctly spelled due to my typing skills, exchanged characters e.g.

Hans
jGromit

Posts: 7,284
Registered: 31-Jan-2006
Re: jAlbum 18.5 beta for testing
Posted: 17-Sep-2019 13:20   in response to: hanso in response to: hanso
hanso wrote:
...I need all the help I van get to get the most basic words correctly spelled....

But some things, not even a spell checker can take care of. "Van" is a perfectly good English word. But it's not an auxiliary verb. ;)
davidekholm

Posts: 3,550
Registered: 18-Oct-2002
Re: jAlbum 18.5 beta for testing
Posted: 21-Sep-2019 14:46   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
Improved search bar
I've now revisited jAlbum's feature search bar and added it to the main window too (See top-right corner). Click it to search all of jAlbum, meaning settings, preferences, share and publish controls.

You can also activate this search bar by hitting CTRL+Space or via Help->search

To try it, ensure you have v18.5b installed, then replace lib/jalbum-core.jar with http://jalbum.net/download/beta/jalbum-core.jar
jGromit

Posts: 7,284
Registered: 31-Jan-2006
Re: jAlbum 18.5 beta for testing
Posted: 21-Sep-2019 15:36   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
Attachment ss006060.png (39.5 KB)
davidekholm wrote:
Improved search bar

Perhaps not ready for prime time. ;)

I click on the magnifying glass, and enter "font." I see a bunch of locations, but I can't click on any of them. See screenshot.
davidekholm

Posts: 3,550
Registered: 18-Oct-2002
Re: jAlbum 18.5 beta for testing
Posted: 21-Sep-2019 16:50   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
davidekholm wrote:
Improved search bar

Perhaps not ready for prime time. ;)

I click on the magnifying glass, and enter "font." I see a bunch of locations, but I can't click on any of them. See screenshot.


Aargh! That "naturally" didn't manifest itself when I tested on my Mac with Darcula Look&Feel :-( I'll do some digging into this and get back to you when I've hopefully got it working properly. It seems to relate to multiple repainting of the menu. Try a word that doesn't cause multiple repainting, like "GDPR". That works here.
jGromit

Posts: 7,284
Registered: 31-Jan-2006
Re: jAlbum 18.5 beta for testing
Posted: 21-Sep-2019 17:01   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
Try a word that doesn't cause multiple repainting, like "GDPR". That works here.

That gives me no results at all.

But yes, if there's only one result, hitting Enter takes me to it. But it's counter-intuitive. If I enter "chain," I see one result listed, and my first instinct is to click on that one result, not to hit Enter.

In short, it should behave the same way it does when searching from one the skin settings panel. Nothing ever grayed-out, results always clickable.
davidekholm

Posts: 3,550
Registered: 18-Oct-2002
Re: jAlbum 18.5 beta for testing
Posted: 21-Sep-2019 18:14   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
Yes, It should never gray-out items. I promise, that's nothing I intentionally do.
RobM

Posts: 3,064
Registered: 4-Aug-2006
Re: jAlbum 18.5 beta for testing
Posted: 21-Sep-2019 21:29   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
Improved search bar
I've now revisited jAlbum's feature search bar and added it to the main window too (See top-right corner). Click it to search all of jAlbum, meaning settings, preferences, share and publish controls.

You can also activate this search bar by hitting CTRL+Space or via Help->search

To try it, ensure you have v18.5b installed, then replace lib/jalbum-core.jar with http://jalbum.net/download/beta/jalbum-core.jar

For the documentation, is the below as intended?
If I have no window open the search will look everywhere within the limits above.
If I have a settings window open the search is limited to the setting tabs.
If I have preferences open I can't search at all.
davidekholm

Posts: 3,550
Registered: 18-Oct-2002
Re: jAlbum 18.5 beta for testing
Posted: 22-Sep-2019 14:44   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM wrote:

For the documentation, is the below as intended?
If I have no window open the search will look everywhere within the limits above.
If I have a settings window open the search is limited to the setting tabs.
If I have preferences open I can't search at all.

No, the intended behavior is like this:
  • The search bar that's integrated into the settings window only searches the settings window
  • The search bar that's accessible via CTRL+SPACE or via Help->Search or via the magnifying glass in the top-right corner of the main window searches all parts of jAlbum (settings, preferences, share and publish). In the future I plan to extend this global search to also search album projects and perhaps also search album objects.
davidekholm

Posts: 3,550
Registered: 18-Oct-2002
Re: jAlbum 18.5 beta for testing
Posted: 22-Sep-2019 14:44   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
davidekholm wrote:
Try a word that doesn't cause multiple repainting, like "GDPR". That works here.

That gives me no results at all.


That works only if you have the Tiger skin selected.
davidekholm

Posts: 3,550
Registered: 18-Oct-2002
Re: jAlbum 18.5 beta for testing
Posted: 22-Sep-2019 14:48   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
I've spent almost a day trying to figure out why the menu looks disabled sometimes. It seems to be some kind of Java level bug that's related to certain look&feels and when the source component of the popup menu is installed in that floating way as I've done (it's installed in the "glass pane" of jAlbum's window). The problem doesn't manifest with the search bar that's integrated inside the settings window.

I have a workaround for this bug but it has a side effect that the popup menu isn't closed if the jAlbum windows is moved or if another window is moved in front of jAlbum's window. Testing other potential workarounds now...
davidekholm

Posts: 3,550
Registered: 18-Oct-2002
Re: jAlbum 18.5 beta for testing
Posted: 22-Sep-2019 17:07   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
I've finally been able to rewrite the search bar so it behaves properly now. Just grab the updated beta file and test.

Tech details: I consider the problem we had a Java layer bug, but never mind. With this rewrite the bug doesn't manifest (the search bar's JTextField component has now been installed under the window's LayeredPane instead of on its GlassPanel. For more info see https://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/javax/swing/JRootPane.html)
RobM

Posts: 3,064
Registered: 4-Aug-2006
Re: jAlbum 18.5 beta for testing
Posted: 22-Sep-2019 17:30   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
RobM wrote:

For the documentation, is the below as intended?
If I have no window open the search will look everywhere within the limits above.
If I have a settings window open the search is limited to the setting tabs.
If I have preferences open I can't search at all.

No, the intended behavior is like this:

  • The search bar that's integrated into the settings window only searches the settings window
  • The search bar that's accessible via CTRL+SPACE or via Help->Search or via the magnifying glass in the top-right corner of the main window searches all parts of jAlbum (settings, preferences, share and publish). In the future I plan to extend this global search to also search album projects and perhaps also search album objects.
If I have the preference window open and it has the focus then the keyboard shortcut CTRL + SPACE does not work, you need to click on the search icon. Clicking on the icon works, but in my initial test I happened to have the preference window above the search bar, so it looked like it wasn't working - I'll make a note of windows possibly obscuring the search bar in the wiki.

An odd one is the upload manager window, it is searchable (step 1) but when it is actually open none of the search methods open the search bar.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums