Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

Permlink Replies: 113 - Pages: 8 [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] - Last Post: 30-Sep-2019 19:30 Last Post By: davidekholm Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
jGromit

Re: jAlbum 18.5 beta for testing
Posted: 13-Sep-2019 22:33   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM wrote:
Just tried adding the spell checker to a template (About.htt) page....

Just a hunch, but try sticking to JSmartTextField, rather than JTextField. David's post about it is a bit muddled, but implies that it needs the "smart" fields.
RobM

Posted: 13-Sep-2019 22:42   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
Editing the template to use the 'Smart' version of text fields and it works without any error.
<ja:ui>
	class AboutUI extends JWebPageUI {
		JSmartTextField aboutHeader = new JSmartTextField(texts.getString("ui.AboutMyPortfolio"), 30).spelling();
		JSmartTextArea aboutText = new JSmartTextArea(8,30).spelling();
Does this mean only the 'Smart' text elements are supported?
RobM

Posted: 13-Sep-2019 22:43   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
RobM wrote:
Just tried adding the spell checker to a template (About.htt) page....

Just a hunch, but try sticking to JSmartTextField, rather than JTextField. David's post about it is a bit muddled, but implies that it needs the "smart" fields.

I was experimenting with that when you posted a reply, it seems the answer is yes, it does need the smarty pants version ;)
jGromit

Posted: 13-Sep-2019 22:44   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM wrote:

So it would seem.

This, BTW, is why they pay me the big bucks.
RobM

Posted: 13-Sep-2019 22:59   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
RobM wrote:

So it would seem.

This, BTW, is why they pay me the big bucks.

Maybe you can get the spieling to work on jAlbum 18.4 using the
Any jAlbum version (backwards compatible): Call .putClientProperty("spelling", true);
on any JSmartTextField or JSmartTextArea component.
Because I can't :(
jGromit

Posted: 13-Sep-2019 23:28   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
I'll have to come back to this later - going back to jAlbum 18.4 has coughed up some weird problems that I need to hunt down.

Edit: I'm back. Had to do a complete uninstall/reinstall - having 18.4 living alongside 18.5b2 made for a very unhappy machine.

I think we've got the wrong end of the stick, here. Putting that client property call on a field won't magically get jAlbum 18.4 to start checking the spelling. It will only start checking spelling in 18.5+. But if you use the newer syntax of tacking .spelling() onto the field definition, you'll have a skin that will blow up if you try to use it in anything before jAlbum 18.5b2.

ETA: Confirmed. Using myfield.putClientProperty("spelling", true) works in 18.5b2. It doesn't do any spell checking in 18.4, but the skin loads without complaint. Using myfield = new JSmartTextField(50).spelling(); works in 18.5b2, but causes smoke and flames in 18.4.
RobM

Posted: 14-Sep-2019 00:00   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
I think we've got the wrong end of the stick, here. Putting that client property call on a field won't magically get jAlbum 18.4 to start checking the spelling. It will only start checking spelling in 18.5+. But if you use the newer syntax of tacking .spelling() onto the field definition, you'll have a skin that will blow up if you try to use it in anything before jAlbum 18.5b2.
It is all to odd for me at the moment, adding .putClientProperty("spelling", true) to a smart text field initialisation doesn’t cause a crash in 18.4, but then adding .spelling() does. So what is the point of the former? (Rhetorical question as I only wanted to test adding spelling in 18.5b to page templates and now I’m away to my bed).
jGromit

Posted: 14-Sep-2019 00:12   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM wrote:
So what is the point of the former?

It lets you add spell checking to one of your own fields, but in a way that keeps the skin usable in older versions of jAlbum. In 18.5, the field will be spell-checked.

If you use the latter method, your skin can't be used in anything before 18.5. So, use the latter method if you want to force your users to 18.5.
RobM

Posted: 14-Sep-2019 00:24   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
RobM wrote:
So what is the point of the former?

It lets you add spell checking to one of your own fields, but in a way that keeps the skin usable in older versions of jAlbum. In 18.5, the field will be spell-checked.

If you use the latter method, your skin can't be used in anything before 18.5. So, use the latter method if you want to force your users to 18.5.

Now I get it, the medication is helping but I’m still addled much of the time!
jGromit

Posted: 14-Sep-2019 00:30   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM wrote:
...I’m still addled much of the time!

I've decided simply to embrace my befuddlement, and wear it like a badge of honor.

"I'm an old man! I'm confused!!"
mrag

Posted: 14-Sep-2019 01:52   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
Well thank the dear Lord we have resolved one thing ;-)
davidekholm

Posted: 15-Sep-2019 17:07   in response to: mrag in response to: mrag
Man, I though I was clear enough, but you've eventually figured out the implications of the two syntaxes, and yes, these features only apply to "smart" text components, i.e. JSmartTextField and JSmartTextArea.
jGromit

Posted: 15-Sep-2019 17:15   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
Man, I though I was clear enough, but you've eventually figured out the implications of the two syntaxes, and yes, these features only apply to "smart" text components, i.e. JSmartTextField and JSmartTextArea.

You have to remember that you're dealing with a small group of people, most of whom are hard-pressed to tell you what they had for breakfast this morning.

In my case, my most recent real-world, paid tech experience involved an environment in which the internet existed, but the world wide web didn't. Programming? That would be C (not even C++) and APL. Searching? Oh, you must be referring to Archie, right? I could probably still set the memory registers on a Hayes acoustic modem.

We're old. We're confused. It's amazing that we can still produce anything remotely current or relevant.

But, to be fair, your first post really does refer to JTextField in a couple of places, so we're not the only ones. ;)
RobM

Posted: 15-Sep-2019 20:23   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
davidekholm wrote:

You have to remember that you're dealing with a small group of people, most of whom are hard-pressed to tell you what they had for breakfast this morning.

In mitigation I have had a severe infection for the last few weeks, not been affected like this before - unable to do simple math or even give my age correctly to medical staff. I’m pretty confident that I’m regaining my faculties and will be back to my usual self shortly (Yes, I know, it will be hard to tell the difference ;) )
davidekholm

Posted: 16-Sep-2019 12:55   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
Oh, sad to hear that Rob, but I trust and hope you'll recover fully from that.

Now I see it: I had accidentally written new JTextField().spelling() when I meant JSmartTextField().spelling(). Time for ME to see a doctor perhaps? ;-)
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums