Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

Permlink Replies: 113 - Pages: 8 [ 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] - Last Post: 30-Sep-2019 19:30 Last Post By: davidekholm Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
davidekholm

jAlbum 18.5 beta for testing
Posted: 06-Sep-2019 16:40
For the upcoming jAlbum 18.5, I've incorporated a spell checker (JOrtho). You can download and play with the beta already:

Installers:
Windows: http://jalbum.net/download/jAlbum-install.exe
Mac: http://jalbum.net/download/jAlbum.dmg
Any: http://jalbum.net/download/jAlbum.zip

It works like this: As you type text into text components that have spelling support activated, your spelling errors will be highlighted with a red wavy line. Right click the misspelled word and select the right word from the "Spelling" menu. If the word is unknown to the dictionary, then you can add it. jAlbum will pick a dictionary that matches the language chosen under Preferences, but you can quickly switch to another dictionary by right clicking the text component and selecting another dictionary under the "Languages" menu. If you want to spell check a larger text mass, hit F7 to open the spell checker dialogue. (If any other component has focus then F7 opens the system console as usual)

Annoyed about these red wavy lines? The spell checker can be disabled under Preferences.

jAlbum now comes bundled with dictionaries for English, German and Dutch. Some other languages are available from our site (jAlbum will suggest the download if you select one of them, for instance French or Italian). Many other languages unfortunately have very few words so I haven't included them yet. (I'll check with the developers of this library).

The bundled dictionaries are located under progdir /system/dictionaries and downloaded and user dictionaries are located under configdir /dictionaries.

Skin developers:
Make your skins aware of the new spell checker by using either of these APIs for text components that should be spell checked:
  • jAlbum 18.5 and above: Call .spelling() on any JSmartTextField or JSmartTextArea component. This method returns the same object so you can conveniently call it during construction, for instance: JSmartTextField notes = new JSmartTextField(40).spelling();
  • Any jAlbum version (backwards compatible): Call .putClientProperty("spelling", true); on any JSmartTextField or JSmartTextArea component.

What do you think? I didn't value this feature so much until I had it spell check some of my own galleries and noticed several misspelled words (usually swapped and missing characters)

Edited by: davidekholm on 16-Sep-2019 12:53: Changed JTextField to JSmartTextField
AndreWolff

Re: jAlbum 18.5 beta for testing
Posted: 06-Sep-2019 17:08   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
What do you think?
This is an overkill! I think it is nonsense to include a spelling checker into jAlbum, it is a pity that you spent your time to such an item.

Personally I enter most text via other programs like Light-room and if I use jAlbum directly, I enter long text first locally in an editor with a spelling checker.

The 'Feature request' thread contains much more important new features which should be implemented, but I am not sure you use the 'Feature request' thread for your development planning.

This forum could use a good spelling checker!
jGromit

Posted: 06-Sep-2019 17:59   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
Seems to be about as well-behaved as most spell checkers. It chokes on some proper names, but the dictionary already includes a lot of the more common ones. Had to add Barkhamsted - all 3000 of us here are outraged at this omission.

It also doesn't like capitalization. Dining Room sparks a wavy line, whereas dining room does not. In short, it thinks you're writing ordinary prose, rather than image captions.

It's not happy with href, example.com, or resPath, which leads me to think that skin developers should be careful about attaching spell-checking to their input fields - in most skins, those tend to be loaded with "code stuff," probably ill-suited to spell-checking. Maybe you should add all of the jAlbum variable names to the dictionaries!
MarkusD

Posted: 06-Sep-2019 18:42   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
What do you think?
Thumbs up. I like the spell checker!
davidekholm

Posted: 06-Sep-2019 19:07   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
Seems to be about as well-behaved as most spell checkers. It chokes on some proper names, but the dictionary already includes a lot of the more common ones. Had to add Barkhamsted - all 3000 of us here are outraged at this omission.

:-D

It also doesn't like capitalization. Dining Room sparks a wavy line, whereas dining room does not. In short, it thinks you're writing ordinary prose, rather than image captions.

Good point. Now addressed at http://jalbum.net/download/beta/jalbum-core.jar

It's not happy with href, example.com, or resPath, which leads me to think that skin developers should be careful about attaching spell-checking to their input fields - in most skins, those tend to be loaded with "code stuff," probably ill-suited to spell-checking. Maybe you should add all of the jAlbum variable names to the dictionaries!

I'll look into that, but it's probably better to keep such text fields unchecked. On the other hand, if we add jAlbum's variables then the spell checker can actually assist the user in using the right name...
mrag

Posted: 06-Sep-2019 21:13   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
I like it. Imagine it will take a little while to work out some kinks like "thumbstrip, exif, iptc" and so on, but my current spell checker still kicks out some stray words also.

And it doesn't appear that it took massive amounts of time to implement.

Now if you could have it work on your and you're, I'd be really happy.
jGromit

Posted: 06-Sep-2019 21:19   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
Make sure you add a Swenglish dictionary. It wouldn't be jAlbum without that.
davidekholm

Posted: 06-Sep-2019 21:26   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:

Many thanks :-)
RobM

Posted: 06-Sep-2019 22:03   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
Not entirely what I would expect. If I purposely type an incorrect word, like wonderfil instead of wonderful it suggests woonderful (a Dutch word, apperantly) even though I'm using English.

But I'm impressed that the English dictionary includes transmogrification.
jimberry

Posted: 07-Sep-2019 01:02   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
Will the JOrtho spellchecker be able to flag the misuse of "definitively" when "definitely" is the intended meaning? ;)
jGromit

Posted: 07-Sep-2019 01:09   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry
jimberry wrote:
Will the JOrtho spellchecker be able to flag the misuse of "definitively" when "definitely" is the intended meaning? ;)

I certainly hope not. Let's not rob Swenglish of its charm.
jGromit

Posted: 07-Sep-2019 01:48   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
Ooh, ooh! Guess what word the spell checker doesn't like.

jAlbum
jGromit

Posted: 07-Sep-2019 02:06   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
Getting a console error with the macOS version of the beta:
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/adobe/xmp/XMPException
	at net.jalbum.locationeditor.LocationPlugin.init(LocationPlugin.java:24)
	at se.datadosen.jalbum.PluginManager.initPlugins(PluginManager.java:144)
	at se.datadosen.jalbum.JAlbum.<init>(JAlbum.java:135)
	at se.datadosen.jalbum.JAlbum.main(JAlbum.java:369)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at se.datadosen.jalbum.Main.main(Main.java:44)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.adobe.xmp.XMPException
	at java.base/java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
	... 9 more
Skin loading: 1.327s
Not seeing it on Windows.
davidekholm

Posted: 07-Sep-2019 10:52   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
Getting a console error with the macOS version of the beta:
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/adobe/xmp/XMPException
	at net.jalbum.locationeditor.LocationPlugin.init(LocationPlugin.java:24)
	at se.datadosen.jalbum.PluginManager.initPlugins(PluginManager.java:144)
	at se.datadosen.jalbum.JAlbum.<init>(JAlbum.java:135)
	at se.datadosen.jalbum.JAlbum.main(JAlbum.java:369)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at se.datadosen.jalbum.Main.main(Main.java:44)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.adobe.xmp.XMPException
	at java.base/java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
	... 9 more
Skin loading: 1.327s
Not seeing it on Windows.

Ensure you don't have an instance of LocationEditor.jaext under config /ext on your Mac. I had to rewrite all plugins referring to the xmpcore library as Drew Noakes decided to rename all packages for his updated metadata-extractor v12.2 library.
jGromit

Posted: 07-Sep-2019 12:39   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
Ensure you don't have an instance of LocationEditor.jaext under config /ext on your Mac.

Yes, that was the problem - a leftover from earlier experimentation.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums