This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 6 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 12-May-2019 18:01 Last Post By: mikebriley Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
mikebriley

Mercury: How to download photos to a PC
Posted: 02-May-2019 14:51

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hi. I am using the great skin Mercury and I have a problem. People are asking me how to download photos (which I allow this is for family and friends only). I discovered that on phones or tablets a prolonged pressure on the photo brings up a menu which includes a download possibility. What is the equivalent maneuver on a PC (if there is one)?
Many thanks and keep up the good work
jGromit

Re: Mercury: How to download photos to a PC
Posted: 02-May-2019 15:05   in response to: mikebriley in response to: mikebriley

I was about to post something about right-clicking on the slide image, but because of the on-image navigation, that doesn't work. It's still possible to get to the image from the developer's console in the browser, but that's not exactly what I'd call "user friendly."

The only other quick and dirty way is to go to the browser's address bar and replace .html with .jpg, which opens the image in the browser with nothing around it. Also not very helpful for most users, since it takes a lot of fiddling. And if you've got hotlink protection enabled on your server, that might not get you there - you might just get a "forbidden" message.

I'll have to mull that one over a bit. I've resisted loading up my newer skins with excess features, like a download link, but this one is probably not an unusual requirement.

I'll be gone for the next week, so nothing will happen until mid-May.
mikebriley

Posted: 02-May-2019 18:29   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Thanks a lot. I look forward to the fruits of your reflections.
jGromit

Posted: 03-May-2019 00:22   in response to: mikebriley in response to: mikebriley

BTW, glad you like Mercury. I think it's one of my better efforts, but it tends to get overlooked.
jGromit

Posted: 05-May-2019 17:01   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Had a day of bad weather to kill before I left for the beach, so I cobbled together a beta release that includes the option of planting a download icon in the caption area. It also now permits Link to originals via scaled images, which the current version does not (without a download icon, that option made no sense - there was no way to access the included originals). Probably still needs a tweak or two, e.g., separate control over the size of the download icon (it currently just matches the size of the navigation icons).

There are also some changes to the way the page layout is handled if you choose Link to originals, which tends to be a problematic choice in many skins (do you really want to provide 6000x4000 images, and how should the slide page be laid out for that?).

Fair warning - this is what I call "thinly tested," i.e., I don't think it will blow up, and I think the options are behaving themselves, but no guarantees.

(beta removed)
jGromit

Posted: 12-May-2019 14:11   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

The latest release of Mercury includes an option to provide a download link.
mikebriley

Posted: 12-May-2019 18:01   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Thanks a lot for the update. It works great for me. Just what I needed. Providing the original images is useful in some cases (when you know relatives are going to print them out) so your efforts are fully appreciated.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums