This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 13 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 10-Apr-2019 14:07 Last Post By: jGromit Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
rfm2

Neptune & Saturn - video volume and pause
Posted: 07-Apr-2019 23:37

Click to reply to this thread Reply
I've just discovered a strange behavior with accessing video volume and pause/play with Neptune and Saturn when using Firefox. I was hesitant to post it here because it might just be a quirk with my setup. With Firefox I cannot get the cursor to stay on the video volume or play/pause strip. It will bring up the strip with the cursor above the control strip, but when I move down to the strip it closes. It does not happen with Chrome or Edge, and it doesn't happen when using Firefox with a Gromit album.or my older Matrix albums. Any idea what settings I should look at to allow the cursor to stay on the control strip of a video?

It happens with Firefox on both desktop (Win 7) and notebook (Win 10) computers.

Edited by: rfm2 on 07-Apr-2019 23:38
jGromit

Re: Neptune & Saturn - video volume and pause
Posted: 07-Apr-2019 23:45   in response to: rfm2 in response to: rfm2

Oh, that's a strange one! It does appear to be just Firefox, and just skins that use Floatbox (Neptune, Pluto, and Saturn, but not my other skins). I'll have to put together a stripped-down test case to send to the Floatbox developer.

The clunky workaround is to click the video to pause it - then, you can access the control bar to move within the video, adjust the volume, etc. Then click the video again to unpause.
rfm2

Posted: 07-Apr-2019 23:59   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Interestingly, I can't even pause the video since when I slide down to the control strip it closes.
jGromit

Posted: 08-Apr-2019 00:00   in response to: rfm2 in response to: rfm2

If you just click on the video itself, it will pause - no need to get to the play/pause button.

ETA: I just emailed Byron about this one - I could duplicate it with the simplest of one-object pages.
rfm2

Posted: 08-Apr-2019 00:05   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

I didn't get to finish the comment before it was too late to edit it. Yes, I can pause with the on-video click.

It will be interesting to see what strange interaction is causing it.
jGromit

Posted: 08-Apr-2019 12:36   in response to: rfm2 in response to: rfm2

Byron has chosen to punt on this one. He simply blames it on Firefox, despite the fact that the problem shows up only within a Floatbox expander.

I'll tinker with it as time permits, but I'm wandering into territory in which I don't really know what I'm doing. This may just be something you'll have to live with.
rfm2

Posted: 08-Apr-2019 17:54   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

That's interesting. Even though it is a unique interaction with Firefox I would have thought he would want to find out what is causing it. It is not a big deal for me to do the click image/adjust volume, but trying to let all potential family member viewers of all Neptune videos what to do (and even then only those using Firefox as the default) would be a challenge. They'll just have to adjust the volume of their viewing device.
jGromit

Posted: 08-Apr-2019 18:45   in response to: rfm2 in response to: rfm2

Byron is, shall we say, irrascible. Sometimes he just gets it into his head that he's not going to address something, and then stubbornly ignores it. He also hates Firefox. I use it as my default, because I have found, and can prove, that it renders images and fonts better than Chrome, by a small but noticeable margin. And it's miles better than Edge.

But stay tuned - I've got my eye on a chunk of Byron's code that I'm sure is causing the problem. What I'm not sure about is what function it is supposed to perform, so I need to do some testing before taking a scalpel to it.
jGromit

Posted: 08-Apr-2019 20:41   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Attachment Neptune.jaskin (903.5 KB)
Here's a Neptune beta to experiment with. A small change, and I don't think it has any nasty side effects, but you know how that works.
rfm2

Posted: 09-Apr-2019 00:25   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Well, it's taken me a while to figure out what's going on. Yes, the beta now allows access to the control bar. However, with the videos I have been using in a full album and that I copied into a test album which were made with an iPhone, the volume can only be muted, but no volume control bar. I tried with some videos made with a Canon camera and they have full volume control. Both sets of videos were made in the .MOV format and converted to .MP4 in jAlbum. I can send the original iOS video (.mov) if you'd like to see what you get with it.
jGromit

Posted: 09-Apr-2019 00:28   in response to: rfm2 in response to: rfm2

Do those iPhone videos allow volume control when you just double-click on them in Windows, and let your default media player display them? And try one of them in Gromit - that's the simplest implementation, using just a <video> tag in the browser, with nothing fancy going on.
rfm2

Posted: 09-Apr-2019 00:43   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

If I open the ios.mp4 video (after jAlbum's conversion from .mov) with Windows Media Player (my default for .mp4) or with Quick Time Player full volume control is available. Using the original ios.mov in Gromit and letting jAlbum convert to .mp4 the volume can only be muted, same as the Neptune beta.
jGromit

Posted: 09-Apr-2019 00:55   in response to: rfm2 in response to: rfm2

Interesting set of symptoms. It suggests that the jAlbum (ffmpeg) conversion is fine, but that there's something screwy about the audio track of the video, something that throws a browser for a loop.

I'm in the middle of making my fine dinner at the moment, but please give me a link to one of the original, unprocessed iPhone videos, MOV format. There might be a clue in there. But this wouldn't be the first time that an iPhone video had proven to be perverse in some way. They routinely louse up things like this - for example, I once spent untold hours trying to straighten out a portrait mode iPhone video that required all sorts of gyrations to wrestle to the ground.
jGromit

Posted: 10-Apr-2019 14:07   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Just to wrap up this thread, the subject of which became an email exchange....

On the subject of the "fugitive" control bar in Firefox, I found and fixed the Floatbox error that was causing this.

On the subject of the missing volume control, when Firefox doesn't have enough frame width to display all of its video controls, it starts eliminating some of them, beginning with the volume control. Chrome wraps the controls onto another line, instead.

If you choose 480p resolution for a portrait-mode video, you end up with a video that's only 270x480px, which is actually smaller than the screen on the smartphone you used to shoot the video! At that width, Firefox always eliminates the volume control. These days, 720p is the wiser choice, whether landscape mode or portrait mode.

Our explorations revealed a Floatbox bug that was making the situation even worse, and I've figured out how to work around it.

On this subject, people, please, please, please stop shooting videos in portrait mode. Have you ever seen a movie theater screen that's taller than it is wide? Have you ever had a TV, or a desktop monitor, or a laptop monitor that was portrait mode? Then why shoot your videos that way?
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums