This question is answered.

Permlink Replies: 3 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 26 Feb 19, 00:15 Last Post By: JeffTucker Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
deOldphart

Fancybox: Unable to get maps working.
Posted: 25 Feb 19, 13:06

Click to reply to this thread Reply
I am trying to use Google maps in the Fancybox skin but I am getting the error "Geocoder failed due to: REQUEST_DENIED" that is associated with not having an API key. However, I do have an API key from Google and that key works perfectly well in the Gromit skin, so I have no idea what the problem really is. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
JeffTucker

Re: Fancybox: Unable to get maps working.
Posted: 25 Feb 19, 23:51   in response to: deOldphart in response to: deOldphart
Correct
Attachment step1.png (29.6 KB)
Attachment step2.png (80.9 KB)
Attachment step3.png (32.6 KB)
Attachment step4.png (21.9 KB)
As much as I've enjoyed this thrashing about, I guess it's time to confess. When I saw your original post, and did about 60 seconds of Googling, I was pretty sure I knew what the problem is. I haven't done a thorough test, but I'm about 98% sure my first hunch was correct.

Now, what's it worth to both of you to find out how to fix this?

OK, I'll take pity on you. In short, Fancybox is calling upon one of the Google maps API's that's "beyond" the basic functionality. The tipoff is that the error message refers to "geocode," which is a separate service. On my old API keys, it's enabled by default, so the Fancybox maps work. But maybe with a newer key, that's apparently not the case. Just be aware that it's billed at a different rate.

Head for your Google maps API console, then see the series of screenshots attached, in order. After the last step, look for an "enable" button somewhere.
deOldphart

Posted: 26 Feb 19, 00:13   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Thanks for your belated assistance, Gromit. That worked, and the test site is now bringing up the Google Maps as expected.

I'm afraid I know next to nothing about Google APIs and simply followed the instructions I found, I believe, in one of the forum posts here. I suspect the instructions for using Google Map APIs are going to get a bit more complicated.
JeffTucker

Posted: 26 Feb 19, 00:15   in response to: deOldphart in response to: deOldphart

deOldphart wrote:
I suspect the instructions for using Google Map APIs are going to get a bit more complicated.

It's already become byzantine. And their user interface is pretty miserable, so even if you think you know what you need to do, dog help you!
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums