This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 13 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 24-Feb-2019 17:02 Last Post By: TBradleyPhotog Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
TBradleyPhotog

Feedback Window BUG - Email doesn't generate
Posted: 13-Feb-2019 14:34

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Laza

First, I'm VERY IMPRESSED with Tiger. I used JAlbum (Chameleon) for years and then switched to a gallery that supported Lightroom plugins until a few weeks ago when I took another look at JAlbum. There have been very significant improvements over the years. Well done! The features and overall appearance are very professional.

I'm struggling with the FEEDBACK feature. I want to use it for clients to "proof" their final images and provide me with specific Photoshop instructions. Unfortunately, I'm finding that it doesn't always generate an email when they push "Send Feedback". It works great if there is an email software installed on the workstation (such as Outlook) but it doesn't work if the client uses a web based email (such as gmail). It also doesn't generate an error if it fails so the client believes the email has been sent.

I know generating an email using the private web server would be extremely difficult so you have to rely on the software installed on the client workstation. Could I suggest an alternative?. Within settings, give the gallery builder the option to 1) Send Email, or 2) Generate a PDF. The PDF would contain the Target Email Address, the user name, thumbnail images, file names, comments. The client could simply attach the PDF using the email method of their choice. That would eliminate the problems caused by different email configurations on the workstation. I suppose if you couldn't generate an PDF you could simply put a button that would "Copy to Clipboard" and allow the client to paste it where needed. I love the FEEDBACK feature but I need to get it working for all my clients.

While not a bug, it would be nice if FEEDBACK feature would be available on the lightbox page (similar to the Shopping Cart feature). The images on the index page are simply too small to make critical assessments of similar images. Customers need to see the big images. Some folks may not want this feature but at least give the gallery builder the option to add it to the Lightbox page.

Here is a sample gallery: https://bradleyphotog.com/gallery/test/proof-test/

Thanks again for your help!!

Tom
Laza

Re: Feedback Window BUG - Email doesn't generate
Posted: 14-Feb-2019 12:10   in response to: TBradleyPhotog in response to: TBradleyPhotog

Yes, unfortunately the web page itself has no idea how the OS will handle the "mailto:" links, so it's not even aware the user action didn't succeed. We have a solution which utilizes our server to send out mails, however as this poses security risks, and our server might get red flagged if someone is using it to spam, we are not advertising it. We can arrange this for you, however.

The "add to feedback" button in the lightbox might be implemented in the future, but today I'm into other - more important - developments.
TBradleyPhotog

Posted: 14-Feb-2019 16:09   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

Laza

Thanks for the quick response.

I can appreciate the need to prioritize your development efforts. Once it bubbles to the top of your list, the feedback option when in the lightbox would be helpful.

In terms of the email problem, an easy fix might be to give the option to replace the "Email" button for a "Copy to Clipboard" functionality and then let the user paste it where ever they want. With more people using web based email (gmail), it's just too risky if the email message is not sent because you'll end up with an angry client plus they have no record of the feedback they provided. In some ways, the ability to copy to clipboard could be better than a plain text email since the clipboard could hold the thumbnails too.

If it's not too much trouble, I'd like to take you up on your offer regarding email via your server. Thanks for the offer.

Also, it's refreshing to have a software developer that actually interacts with their client base. Your responsiveness shows in the flexibility and maturity of your skins. They are well thought-out and cover the needs of most people.

Thanks

Tom

Edited by: TBradleyPhotog on 14-Feb-2019 16:10

Edited by: TBradleyPhotog on 14-Feb-2019 16:13
TBradleyPhotog

Posted: 19-Feb-2019 18:22   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

Laza

It appears that most of my request to provide a "Copy to Clipboard" option for the FEEDBACK functionality is already built. The laza.feedback.min.js file already has logic to open a text box (rather than send an email) if the data string is > 2048 characters. I simply changed the criteria from "length>2048" to be "length>1" so it opens the text box every time regardless of the size and will never attempt an email. I also found the texts.properties file and modified the "overLimitWarning" to a more meaningful instructional text.

Since using the MailTo command isn't reliable on every client's workstation, using the clipboard seems like a much more consistent solution. I don't want to get yelled again by a client that spent an hour providing detailed feedback that was lost when the email failed to generate. :)

When you have time, I'd love for you to tweak that text box a little bit and add a "Copy to Clipboard" button. Currently the user is required to select the text, then RIGHT CLICK, then COPY. It works but it's not quite as professional as the rest of Tiger.

If you're interested, here is my solution:
https://bradleyphotog.com/gallery/test/Test-ClientProof/

I'm open to any other suggestions you might have. Thanks
Laza

Posted: 20-Feb-2019 16:53   in response to: TBradleyPhotog in response to: TBradleyPhotog

Great find, I almost forgot about that feature - perhaps I will add a third button - say, "Copy to clipboard" - and some text below to explain which one to select.
jGromit

Posted: 20-Feb-2019 17:04   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

Laza wrote:
...I almost forgot about that feature....

No one ever believes me when I refer to the Code Gnomes™, who sneak into your PC when you're not looking, and crank out lines and lines of stuff. They're real.
Laza

Posted: 21-Feb-2019 15:26   in response to: TBradleyPhotog in response to: TBradleyPhotog

Can you look into this test album if this works as you imagined?
http://www.lazaworx.com/albums/Photoblogger%20Demo/
TBradleyPhotog

Posted: 21-Feb-2019 17:31   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

Very nice! Yes, that's exactly what I imagined.

I also noticed you added the "Feedback" button when you're in the Lightbox view. Very helpful when people want to see big images as they provide feedback. NICE!

I appreciate your help! It would be great if all developers actually responded to their client base.

In the demo gallery, I can't see the configuration OPTIONS, but I'd like the ability to completely turn off the email button since that doesn't work for my gmail users and it recently caused some confusion. I want everyone to just copy the data to the clipboard via JAlbum and then use the email of their choice.

How do I get this enhancement or does it just come out with the next skin update?

Thanks again. (Donation headed your way!!)
Laza

Posted: 22-Feb-2019 10:06   in response to: TBradleyPhotog in response to: TBradleyPhotog

I have added some more convenience improvements:
  • auto scroll to last item
  • auto copy when the text is too large
  • remove items only after user confirmation even with "Send"
  • added explanation for the buttons

I will add the possibility for removing the "Send" button now.
Laza

Posted: 22-Feb-2019 10:27   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

Removed the "Send" button, check out!
TBradleyPhotog

Posted: 22-Feb-2019 16:57   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

YES!!!! You nailed it. It seems much more reliable and the clipboard functionality will work well for both my web mail and Outlook clients. I think a lot of photographers will love this feature for proofing.

I also like the fact that it doesn't automatically clear all their feedback. They may decide to go back and add more comments, or maybe they didn't paste correctly, etc, etc. Their comments are only deleted when they confirm they are finished. Nice addition.

And of course, the fact that they can now add their comments from within the Lightbox view is extremely helpful. Many portrait images are very similar so the larger view will help them decide.

VERY NICE! I'm anxious to get my hands on these enhancements so let me know the next steps for Tiger.

I appreciate your prompt attention.

T
TBradleyPhotog

Posted: 23-Feb-2019 16:37   in response to: TBradleyPhotog in response to: TBradleyPhotog

OK, now you're just showing off! :)

I love the "Show Only Selected" filter that you just added to your demo. That will make proofing and image selection much easier for portrait and wedding photographers. You just need to add the ability to clear the filter and show all again.

You're on a roll . . . can't wait to see what else you come up with.
Laza

Posted: 23-Feb-2019 19:14   in response to: TBradleyPhotog in response to: TBradleyPhotog

The "X" in the top right corner of the thumbs brings back the original view.
TBradleyPhotog

Posted: 24-Feb-2019 17:02   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

Yep, the X restores the view. I worry it might not be intuitive for some people (I didn't see it until you mentioned it). You might consider rather than disabling the filter button you could just change the label to "Restore All" or something. Basically make that single button a toggle and that way it wouldn't take up additional real estate on the webpage.

I'm anxious to see what else you come up with!

Thanks!

T
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums