This question is answered.

Permlink Replies: 3 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 02-Jan-2019 15:42 Last Post By: jGromit Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
John-Simpson

GROMIT: Alignment is wrong on Chrome but OK on MSEdge
Posted: 01-Jan-2019 20:46

Click to reply to this thread Reply
I've just updated this album stored on my server and found that the folder header block is not centred and the comments text isn't within the slide image width.

It is a long time since I've added to the album so don't know when this occurred.

It works fine on Microsoft Edge but not on Chrome. See attached images left is edge right is chrome.

I'm using Windows 10 and GROMIT just updated today. I'm using a standard theme not custom.

Viewpoint is set to width.

I'm mystified why it works on Edge and displays fine on JAlbum Local.

Regards John

Edited by: RobM on 01-Jan-2019 20:00
Added Gromit to title
jGromit

Re: GROMIT: Alignment is wrong on Chrome but OK on MSEdge
Posted: 01-Jan-2019 22:17   in response to: John-Simpson in response to: John-Simpson
Correct
I just slapped together a quick test album and tested it in Chrome, and everything centers as it should.

If it previews properly, but not from the server, that points to one of two things: missing or damaged file, like common.css (unlikely - that would produce more catastrophic problems), or browser cache. The Javascript routines for the header have had some extensive changes, so an incorrect cached version might produce odd problems. CTRL-F5.

In any event, I can't debug a screenshot.
John-Simpson

Posted: 02-Jan-2019 13:20   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Thanks Jeff.

I have completely regenerated the website by deleting the contents of my Output Directory on My Albums on my computer and also all the files stored online. To denote the change, I gave the Album a new background colour so that I would know if I was looking at a current version. Guess what; after I regenerated the whole site and uploaded it, the problem on Google Chrome still persisted even after I pressed Reload the Page several times. Also, I noted that the background colour hadn't changed either! Meanwhile, on MS Edge the site still worked fine and sported the new background. I then took up your suggestion and deleted my Chrome browsing cache from my own PC and tablet and BINGO it now all works as it should.

This must be a common problem when design changes are made.

By all means, delete this post because this was all down to me. Or leave it as a lesson to others!
jGromit

Posted: 02-Jan-2019 15:42   in response to: John-Simpson in response to: John-Simpson
Helpful
That's why I said CTRL-F5. Just choosing "reload" is the equivalent of F5, and is often not enough. CTRL-F5 says, "I really mean it!"

Tablets and phones are often even more stubborn about clinging to cached stuff, especially Javascript routines. In Chrome on Android, for example, I sometimes have to plunge deep into the settings to delete cached stuff - Chrome, Settings, Privacy, Clear browsing data. Makes testing a real joy.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums