Have been using JAlbum for a week now with no issues until I went to add a few new folders to the main album I had been working with and got a 553 error.
info.cqs.remotefs.RemoteFSException: com.enterprisedt.net.ftp.FTPException: 553 Can't open that file: No such file or directory
I'm using the standard settings for FTP upload (editFTPj), tried switching to ftp4j but nothing.
I thought maybe my file names, or types were an issue, but nothing strange about either. After hrs of troubleshooting I uploaded to a friends server without issue. This leads me to believe there is a server side setting that is just now causing issues with upload.
Just a hunch, but it might be that the server doesn't like subdirectory names that look like file names. A subdirectory would not normally have dots in its name, like 12.04.18.
Just as a test, set up a small album with maybe three folders, each with four images, and see if you run into the same problem when adding a couple of folders. But then change the folder names to something more conventional, like 120418, and see if that cures it. If it does, your path is clear - rename your folders without the dots, and use a jAlbum title on each folder to provide the text you want to have displayed in the album.
Another possible workaround is to use FileZilla to do your uploading. From within the album project, choose Tools, Open directories, Output directory - you just need to upload everything you see in that directory. You can tell FileZilla to upload only new or changed files, which will vastly speed things up - in FileZilla, see Edit - Settings - Transfers - File exists action - Uploads, and choose Overwrite file if source file newer. Let us know if that works better.
(I used to have my sites on Hostgator, where you appear to be, and never saw this error. But then HG got acquired by EIG, and things went downhill. I fled at the first opportunity.)
Try deleting the file "manifest.jmf" from the root of the target folder of the already uploaded album, then retry the uploading. I suspect that the contents of the manifest.jmf file is out of sync with the true contents of the server.