This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 30 - Pages: 3 [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ] - Last Post: 10-Dec-2018 17:04 Last Post By: davidekholm Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
jGromit

Re: Alphabetic arrangement
Posted: 06-Dec-2018 22:18   in response to: rfm2 in response to: rfm2

Click to reply to this thread Reply
The order in which the directories appear in the uploading window is determined by the server - it shows them in whatever sorting order its operating system uses. (It's just like a list of files in Windows File Explorer.)

The order in which they appear in that list has nothing to do with the order in which they appear in the album - that's controlled by the coding of the album itself. You don't need to move them around.
rfm2

Posted: 06-Dec-2018 22:27   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Thanks for the quick response, but I'm still confused. When I look at the list of the sub-directories with Filezilla, the folder "fa..." follows "Ex... and before "Fe..." When I look at the directory with Upload/Manage it is at the very bottom of the list of 100 capitalized albums. If the server is offering up the list in both cases, why shouldn't they be the same?
jGromit

Posted: 06-Dec-2018 22:35   in response to: rfm2 in response to: rfm2

Not sure. But it doesn't matter. The order in which they're listed has nothing to do with the order in which they appear in the album. Just ignore it!
rfm2

Posted: 06-Dec-2018 22:43   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Attachment WithFilezilla.jpg (162.1 KB)
Attachment WithUpload-2.jpg (92.2 KB)
Attachment WithUpload.jpg (92.9 KB)
These "sub-directories" are not subs of an album - they are completely separate albums which I store on the server under different "main directory" names for ease of finding. That's why sticking the name at the bottom of the list makes it so hard to quickly find the album I want if all non-capitalized names are always stuck at the bottom of the list.

I have attached 3 screen shots to show the problem: 2 taken from Upload/Manage and 1 from Filezilla.

This situation with Upload/Manage only started appearing a few months ago. Before that they were in alphabetic order.

Edited by: rfm2 on 06-Dec-2018 22:44
jGromit

Posted: 06-Dec-2018 22:50   in response to: rfm2 in response to: rfm2

That's actually a setting within FileZilla - see Edit, Settings, File lists, Name sorting mode. In short, FileZilla is making the list case-insensitive, whereas Java (in the jAlbum uploader) is not doing so. The truth is that file lists are case-sensitive on most server operating systems. It's FileZilla that's doing something nonstandard.

So what you're really asking for would be a new feature. Not sure how much demand there is for it.
rfm2

Posted: 06-Dec-2018 23:15   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

In that case I guess the Java used with jAlbum must have had a fairly recent change in handling alphabetic listings since in all the years I have uploaded files the placement of the non-alphabetized name just started showing up at the end several months ago.

Anyhow, since I am now conditioned to it (when I can remember it), I don't expect (or want) jAlbum to look into it as an option.

Thanks for the clarification.
jGromit

Posted: 06-Dec-2018 23:42   in response to: rfm2 in response to: rfm2

Maybe the shift from Java 8 to Java 11. But I suspect it was something that jAlbum was doing before, to show case-insensitive sorting, that got eliminated in the latest release(s).

Either that, or it was another sneaky, midnight attack by the Code Gnomes™.
karlmistelberger

Posted: 07-Dec-2018 08:10   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
Sorry I got the download link wrong. Try again You should get 17.1.2 then.

Downloaded and got again 17.1.1. Double checked and found that I had selected the wrong program starter. The correct one gives 17.1rc1.

Currently both 17.1.1 and 17.1rc1 sort folders in project Order correctly by name. I am not sure how to trigger the bug with 17.1.1 reliably.

I am looking forward and I hope 17.1rc1 and later versions will sort the folders correctly at any time.

More fun:

Checked with the older project testjAlbum and 17.1rc1. Toggling between Order by name and custom would not change anything.

I then switched to Order by According to jAlbum settings. That worked and sorted correctly. Then I tried again Order by name and now that worked too.

Live of mortals is too short to check all states of jAlbum GUI.

Edited by: karlmistelberger on 07-Dec-2018 08:14
davidekholm

Posted: 07-Dec-2018 09:41   in response to: karlmistelberger in response to: karlmistelberger

Karl, please grab and test with v17.1.2. You need to grab it manually from http://jalbum.net/download/17.1/jalbum-core.jar and replace your old lib/jalbum-core.jar with it. Now ordering should work
davidekholm

Posted: 07-Dec-2018 09:55   in response to: rfm2 in response to: rfm2

rfm2 wrote:
In that case I guess the Java used with jAlbum must have had a fairly recent change in handling alphabetic listings since in all the years I have uploaded files the placement of the non-alphabetized name just started showing up at the end several months ago.

Anyhow, since I am now conditioned to it (when I can remember it), I don't expect (or want) jAlbum to look into it as an option.

Thanks for the clarification.

I checked the ordering within the upload window too. It turns out that we're sorting the entries in a classic case sensitive alphabetical order. Since I agree a case insensitive ordering is more intuitive, I've now changed to that in 17.1.3. You can get it from here: http://jalbum.net/download/17.1/jalbum-core.jar. Replace the file lib/jalbum-core.jar with this update.
karlmistelberger

Posted: 07-Dec-2018 11:04   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
Karl, please grab and test with v17.1.2. You need to grab it manually from http://jalbum.net/download/17.1/jalbum-core.jar and replace your old lib/jalbum-core.jar with it. Now ordering should work

Grabbed previously manually as told http://jalbum.net/download/beta/jalbum-core.jar and got 17.1rc1.

Grabbed now http://jalbum.net/download/17.1/jalbum-core.jar and got 17.1.3. Order by name now works.
jGromit

Posted: 07-Dec-2018 13:54   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
...case insensitive ordering is more intuitive....

Agreed. Both File Explorer and Finder stick to that, and FileZilla defaults to it. So does the File Manager in cPanel (though I seem to recall that it used to be case-sensitive).
rfm2

Posted: 08-Dec-2018 00:28   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Thanks for having a look and making the listing case insensitive. I replaced the jalbum-core.jar in lib, and unfortunately I get this message:

We're sorry. jAlbum is unable to start. Please pass this error report to support@jalbum.net
Thank you for your patience.

java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
at se.datadosen.jalbum.JConsoleFrame.<init>(JConsoleFrame.java:66)
at se.datadosen.jalbum.JAlbumFrame.<init>(JAlbumFrame.java:166)
at se.datadosen.jalbum.JAlbum.<init>(JAlbum.java:133)
at se.datadosen.jalbum.JAlbum.main(JAlbum.java:369)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
at se.datadosen.jalbum.Main.main(Main.java:45)
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: No ScriptLanguage enum constant for extension groovy
at se.datadosen.jalbum.ScriptLanguage.extensionOf(ScriptLanguage.java:98)
at se.datadosen.jalbum.ScriptLanguage.<clinit>(ScriptLanguage.java:35)
... 9 more
Went back to the previous jar file and it runs fine. Not sure what might be happening with the replacement jar file.
jGromit

Posted: 08-Dec-2018 01:16   in response to: rfm2 in response to: rfm2

That's an odd one. I guess I'd try doing a very clean install of jAlbum 17.1 (removing all old stuff beforehand), then downloading the 17.1.3 core file again and moving it into the jAlbum program directory.
rfm2

Posted: 08-Dec-2018 03:41   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Thanks for chiming in while David gets a well deserved night's rest. I deleted v. 17 (it may have been just 17.0, even though I accept all updates), installed 17.1.1, moved the new jar file to lib, the splash screen shows 17.1.3, and the upload directory listing is case insensitive!!

My thanks to David for the fix and you for getting it operational before David had to bother with it.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums