This question is answered.

Permlink Replies: 18 - Pages: 2 [ 1 2 | Next ] - Last Post: 04-Dec-2018 13:12 Last Post By: jGromit Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
AndreWolff

Web location problems not solved
Posted: 01-Dec-2018 12:10

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Attachment SSLException.PNG (208.6 KB)
Jalbum v17.1 does not solve the SSL problem, see attached screen and also not the refresh problem (F5) for Windows 10.

I tried https://www.andrewolff.nl/FotoSerie/AlgarveSlideShow/FancyBox/
and https://jgromit.com both generates the same SSL error and after I select an image via the browse button, it does not show up in the Explorere untill I press F5.
jGromit

Re: Web location problems not solved
Posted: 01-Dec-2018 12:50   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

Solved on macOS, but not on Windows. I get the same SSL error, and I'm now getting it on almost every site, not just the ones that caused problems before.

There's no sense testing the "no thumbnail" problem until the SSL issue is resolved. But I believe it's just a matter of impatience. The thumbnail has always been slow to appear in the Explore view, but it does get there on its own if you just wait a few seconds.
davidekholm

Posted: 01-Dec-2018 14:46   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

That is REALLY odd. I could reproduce this error on all OSes, but after the 17.1 update I've verified that it works on both OS X and Windows 10. I tested with https://jgromit.com. Try an uninstall + reinstall.
jGromit

Posted: 01-Dec-2018 14:54   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

No joy. Still getting the same error, even after a completely clean, fresh install.
AndreWolff

Posted: 01-Dec-2018 15:16   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
That is REALLY odd. I could reproduce this error on all OSes, but after the 17.1 update I've verified that it works on both OS X and Windows 10.
Let me guess, you are testing on a Windows 10 PC which contains also your development environment. Never a good idea.
jGromit

Posted: 01-Dec-2018 15:17   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Here's the fun part - you can actually make it work.

• Add the weblocation, and get the "ECDH" error dialog. Click OK.
  • Browse to a location for an image to use, then click OK.
  • This will create the webLoc item, but without an image.
  • Edit the webLoc item and add the image again.

In the process of doing this, you get a bunch of null pointer errors in the console. But at the end of the day, you've got something that works. It can never retrieve an image from the site, alas - you can use only an image from your own PC.
jGromit

Posted: 01-Dec-2018 15:22   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

AndreWolff wrote:
Let me guess, you are testing on a Windows 10 PC which contains also your development environment. Never a good idea.

All jAlbum development is done on a Mac. I'm surprised that after 12 years' experience, after developing 4 skins, and knowing what you're doing, you were unaware of this.

Besides that, there's no problem doing your testing on the same machine on which you do your coding, as long as your machine isn't a toxic waste site. That's what virtually all of us do - we don't keep a collection of "testing only" machines lying around.
AndreWolff

Posted: 01-Dec-2018 15:50   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:
All jAlbum development is done on a Mac. I'm surprised that after 12 years' experience, after developing 4 skins, and knowing what you're doing, you were unaware of this.
??? I am developing on a Windows PC, how. can I know what others do?

Should I conclude that others are developping on a Mac, because I see that most bugs are reported for a Windows PC?
jGromit

Posted: 01-Dec-2018 15:54   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

AndreWolff wrote:

This has been talked about on here repeatedly, for years. David is a Mac guy. Always has been. I'm amazed that you've completely missed it. Well, not so amazed, actually....
davidekholm

Posted: 01-Dec-2018 20:14   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:
AndreWolff wrote:

This has been talked about on here repeatedly, for years. David is a Mac guy. Always has been. I'm amazed that you've completely missed it. Well, not so amazed, actually....

Please jGromit, not while I'm sipping my beer here. Now I have to clean up the keyboard :-)
jGromit

Posted: 01-Dec-2018 21:23   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
...I'm sipping my beer here.

That's why this bug is still in there. You're doing it wrong. Single malt is for sipping. Beer is for chugging. To write good code, you need to get properly liquored up. I should know.
hanso

Posted: 02-Dec-2018 19:02   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Chuckle chuckle ;)
davidekholm

Posted: 03-Dec-2018 19:00   in response to: hanso in response to: hanso
Correct
Thanks for reporting. Problem fixed. Get an updated 17.1 for Windows from http://jalbum.net/download/17.1/Windows/jAlbum-install.exe (95,6 MB (100 280 704 byte))

(I did test jAlbum after installation on the test machine, but earlier tests had "polluted" the new installation with remaining files that made it work even though the official installer lacked some important files. After a clean uninstall+reinstall I could finally reproduce this problem on Windows. I solved the problem the classical way by triggering the installer builder to re-read all Java files we were referencing and thus picking up the changes (thought it would have done so automatically, but it didn't))
AndreWolff

Posted: 03-Dec-2018 22:44   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
(I did test jAlbum after installation on the test machine, but earlier tests had "polluted" the new installation with remaining files that made it work even though the official installer lacked some important files. After a clean uninstall+reinstall I could finally reproduce this problem on Windows. I solved the problem the classical way by triggering the installer builder to re-read all Java files we were referencing and thus picking up the changes (thought it would have done so automatically, but it didn't))
So my suspicion was correct:
AndreWolff wrote:
jGromit

Posted: 03-Dec-2018 22:57   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

AndreWolff wrote:
So my suspicion was correct:

No. "Development environment" and "test machine" are not the same thing.

I develop on a Win10 desktop. I test on a Macbook Air and an Android phone. The laptop and the phone are not my development environment.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums