This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.


Permlink Replies: 7 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 28-Aug-2018 08:25 Last Post By: AndreWolff Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
AndreWolff

Posts: 1,841
Registered: 14-Dec-2007
Set cropping theme image not working
Posted: 26-Aug-2018 12:30
 
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
I changed my theme image code to the simple method 1 as given in the documentation so that the theme image cropping could be controlled by the right mouse pop-up menu.

However I still get the message 'Controlled by skin', see attached screen-shot.

Which code / variable prevents that I can use the right mouse pop-up menu to set the cropping?
RobM

Posts: 3,201
Registered: 4-Aug-2006
Re: Set cropping theme image not working
Posted: 26-Aug-2018 13:06   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
 
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
The context menu was added in jAlbum 16 and its use described in post five of this forum thread.

The help page mentioned above has been updated to include a reference to the skin property element needed.
AndreWolff

Posts: 1,841
Registered: 14-Dec-2007
Re: Set cropping theme image not working
Posted: 26-Aug-2018 15:23   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
 
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
Well, the correct answer is add to the SkinProperties:

editableThemeImageSize=true

I think that should be said in the documentation!

But jAlbum 16.2 still contains this bug:

If you change the cropping of a theme image in a folder album, it is copied to all sub-albums.

The context menu suggest a setting applicable only to the selected theme image, but it is not, it is a global setting for all theme images in the album. A very bad user interface!
RobM

Posts: 3,201
Registered: 4-Aug-2006
Re: Set cropping theme image not working
Posted: 26-Aug-2018 15:58   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
 
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
AndreWolff wrote:
Well, the correct answer is add to the SkinProperties:

editableThemeImageSize=true

I think that should be said in the documentation!

Obviously my first edit did not stand out enough for you to read it, so I have made it much more obvious now.

I think if you find the documentation short on something it is better to edit it than moan about it.
But jAlbum 16.2 still contains this bug:
No it doesn’t, read the manual it clearly states it is an albumwide setting.
If you change the cropping of a theme image in a folder album, it is copied to all sub-albums.

The context menu suggest a setting applicable only to the selected theme image, but it is not, it is a global setting for all theme images in the album. A very bad user interface!

AndreWolff

Posts: 1,841
Registered: 14-Dec-2007
Re: Set cropping theme image not working
Posted: 26-Aug-2018 18:21   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
 
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
RobM wrote:
AndreWolff wrote:
But jAlbum 16.2 still contains this bug:
No it doesn’t, read the manual it clearly states it is an albumwide setting.
Correcting a weak user interface by a note in the manual, will not help most users, because they do not read the manual.
This bug should be repaired by saving the dimensions in the same way as the url of the theme image is saved!
RobM

Posts: 3,201
Registered: 4-Aug-2006
Re: Set cropping theme image not working
Posted: 26-Aug-2018 20:04   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
 
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
AndreWolff wrote:
RobM wrote:
AndreWolff wrote:
But jAlbum 16.2 still contains this bug:
No it doesn’t, read the manual it clearly states it is an albumwide setting.
Correcting a weak user interface by a note in the manual, will not help most users, because they do not read the manual.
This bug should be repaired by saving the dimensions in the same way as the url of the theme image is saved!
Again, it is not a bug, it was a design choice and works as expected by the designer. You may not like the choice made and that is fine, in which case don’t use it in your skins.

The manual does not ‘correct’ a weak interface, it reflects what actually happens. If users don’t get the expected results and don’t read the manual that is their choice and they are free to continue being nonplussed. If there is an omission or an error in the manual then the finder of such is free to edit the wiki in support of their fellow users.
AndreWolff

Posts: 1,841
Registered: 14-Dec-2007
Re: Set cropping theme image not working
Posted: 26-Aug-2018 21:06   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
 
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
RobM wrote:
Again, it is not a bug, it was a design choice and works as expected by the designer.
I think the designer was a little lazy to do his job correctly!

It is a pity that he did not implement my whole proposal!
AndreWolff

Posts: 1,841
Registered: 14-Dec-2007
Re: Set cropping theme image not working
Posted: 26-Aug-2018 21:16   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
 
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
RobM wrote:
AndreWolff wrote:
Well, the correct answer is add to the SkinProperties:

editableThemeImageSize=true

I think that should be said in the documentation!

Obviously my first edit did not stand out enough for you to read it, so I have made it much more obvious now.

I think if you find the documentation short on something it is better to edit it than moan about it.

In the documentation you had 2 methods and now you give 3 methods to create a theme image.
It looks if you are saying in method 1 it is not required to have in init.bsh the statement
engine.setThemeImageProcessor(new ThemeImageProcessor
but that is not true, that statement is still required.
And with that statement your method 1 is still not working.

Your method 2 is also not working,
The correct instructions for method 2 are:

Enter in init.bsh :
engine.setThemeImageProcessor(new ThemeImageProcessor());
Set in the head section of index.htt:
<ja:if exists="themePath">
<style>
.themeImage {
min-height: ${themeHeight}px;
background: url(${themePath}) center top no-repeat;
}
</style>
</ja:if>

Set in the body section of index.htt at the place you like to see the theme image:
<ja:if exists="themePath">
<div class="themeImage"></div>
</ja:if>


Edit:

I see you corrected your method 1, but think your method 1 and 2 are identical, so you can remove one of the two.
You give for me the impression that you has to insert css code at the place you like to see the theme image.

Both methods will not work correctly if you do not add property min-height.

It is also recommended to add property background-size: cover;

Edited by: AndreWolff on 27-Aug-2018 14:08
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums