This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 19 - Pages: 2 [ 1 2 | Next ] - Last Post: 09-Jul-2018 13:38 Last Post By: JeffTucker Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
nnathans

Upload Album: Can't upload-Uploading hangs on Album size
Posted: 07-Jul-2018 19:04

Click to reply to this thread Reply
I have tried to upload my album a half dozen times, waiting 20+ minutes or more while it hangs on "Album size ..." wheel spinning, never gets to point to say OK. I updated to 16.1, problem persists. I have plenty of space on my account. I am using a skin (MatrixSlide) that I have used many times. Album size and content (photos, music) similar to previous albums. Minor disaster; was counting on showing this in two days. I pay for Standard License, Premium storage, expires 2020.
RobM

Re: Upload Album: Can't upload-Uploading hangs on Album size
Posted: 07-Jul-2018 19:12   in response to: nnathans in response to: nnathans

Have you tried any of these?
JeffTucker

Posted: 07-Jul-2018 20:04   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

Almost certainly the first thing listed - a mangled manifest.jmf file. Connect to the server, navigate to the directory for this album, and delete it. Then try the upload again.
nnathans

Posted: 07-Jul-2018 20:23   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

there is nothing that includes the file extension .jmf. I found folders with all the album names, but am uneasy that I'm deleted the album I spent many hours creating. ?? When I click on delete, is asks whether I want to delete the directory "Filename" and all its subdirectories.
RobM

Posted: 07-Jul-2018 20:26   in response to: nnathans in response to: nnathans

Did you look at the link in the earlier post, it gives details on how to ‘Delete the manifest file’?
JeffTucker

Posted: 07-Jul-2018 20:32   in response to: nnathans in response to: nnathans

nnathans wrote:
there is nothing that includes the file extension .jmf.

The file won't be on your PC. If it exists at all, it's on the server.

ETA: I just confirmed it. It's sitting in the directory on the server with your "Riverboat cruises" album. I don't have the necessary permissions to delete it - you have to do it.

So, from within jAlbum, choose Tools, Upload/Manage. Then click Connect to connect to your account on jalbum.net. Open the RIverboat cruises folder, click on the manifest.jmf file, and delete it. Then close the window. Open your project, and try uploading it again.

I'm assuming this is the album you're trying to update. If not, just follow the same instructions for the one you are trying to update.
nnathans

Posted: 07-Jul-2018 22:04   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Thank you for your patience. I figured out how to find the files ... must click on "Advanced" before the files will show. I found the files in Riverboat Cruises and other albums, but Baltic Sea Cruise doesn't exist yet on the server (I am trying to upload a new album). I can't get past select a location, then it gets stuck on Album size. Totally baffled.
JeffTucker

Posted: 07-Jul-2018 22:10   in response to: nnathans in response to: nnathans

Sorry I forgot to mention the need for "Advanced" mode, since I'm always in it, already.

Very weird that it's getting stuck on an album that hasn't been uploaded yet. Perhaps David can suggest some debugging steps.
JeffTucker

Posted: 08-Jul-2018 02:17   in response to: nnathans in response to: nnathans

I see that the album is now on the server! Do you have any idea what you did to get past the "endless spinner" problem?

I think I may know the source of the problem. The trip began in Stockholm. That must be it. ;)
davidekholm

Posted: 08-Jul-2018 11:43   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Did it eventually get past the album size calculation? The purpose of the (sometimes misbehaving) manifest.jmf file is to speed up album size calculation.
JeffTucker

Posted: 08-Jul-2018 12:16   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
Did it eventually get past the album size calculation? The purpose of the (sometimes misbehaving) manifest.jmf file is to speed up album size calculation.

That's the apparent mystery here. This was a first-time upload of an album. There was no manifest file.
nnathans

Posted: 08-Jul-2018 18:32   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

I did a VERY small test file, a new album with a new name, just to eliminate other possibilities. It's clear my account is still okay, password okay, personal computer okay, etc. Same skin (MatrixSlide), but no adjustments to images (cropping, straightening, caption) and no music. I tried again this morning with the real file (approx. 300 images plus music) and still won't go past calculating file size.
JeffTucker

Posted: 08-Jul-2018 18:39   in response to: nnathans in response to: nnathans

Puzzling, indeed. I just tried a test MatrixSlide album - almost 200 images plus music. The upload routine gets through that "album size" phase in less than 3 seconds.

So, just grasping at straws, here. Does it help if you remove the music track(s)?
nnathans

Posted: 08-Jul-2018 20:29   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Alas, I deleted 50 photos and all the music tracks. Still no luck. I think there must be a corrupted individual image file. Short of taking one out at a time, I have no other ideas.
JeffTucker

Posted: 08-Jul-2018 22:17   in response to: nnathans in response to: nnathans

Hmmm.... One option is to use FileZilla to do the uploading. That would be much less likely to get stuck on one image, though it's hard to tell for sure. Do you have FileZilla? Have you used it?

The second option is to zero in on the problem image, if there is one, by "excluding halves."

Select half the images in the album (click on #1, scroll, shift-click #150), then click the "exclude" icon, or just hit the "minus" key on your keyboard. This is better than deleting them, because it preserves any comments or titles you've entered. Now make the album and see if you can upload it.

If it works, include 1-150, exclude 151-300, make the album, and see what happens. If it fails, include 1-75 and leave 76-150 excluded. In short, keep taking half and half again until you narrow it down to the problem image.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums