This question is answered.

Permlink Replies: 12 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 13 Jun 18, 01:35 Last Post By: linuxrog Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
linuxrog

ZigZag - Remove Image Name
Posted: 11 Jun 18, 18:07

Click to reply to this thread Reply
How does one remove the image name from pages generated by ZigZag?

Love this new skin. Using it to generate directions to my home.

Actually, the image-name-removal issue is a difficult one to deal with for many skins. I find it buried as a header which I hide, e.g., for Turtle.

/Roger

Edited by: linuxrog on 11-Jun-2018 12:07
JeffTucker

Re: ZigZag - Remove Image Name
Posted: 11 Jun 18, 18:14   in response to: linuxrog in response to: linuxrog
Helpful
If you give the image a File Title, the skin will display that instead of the image file name (true in most skins, in fact).

ETA: And you can use a sneaky little trick to eliminate it entirely. For the File Title, enter a non-breaking HTML space. Almost impossible to show in a forum post (since the software turns it into a space, of course!), but type an &, followed by nbsp, followed by ; - ampersand, nbsp, semi-colon.

Edited by: jGromit on 11-Jun-2018 12:15
linuxrog

Posted: 11 Jun 18, 18:36   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Cute trick . . . you have to have inside knowledge to use a non-breaking space to hide image name. But, blankness remains and takes up verticle real estate which it would be good to be rid of. I tried styling with a negative margin, to no avail.

In the end, it would be nice to eliminate the image name and space occupied thereby.

I'll settle for this for now.

Thanks.
linuxrog

Posted: 11 Jun 18, 18:46   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Oh . . . adding a non-breaking space to the Title field requires editing this field for every image, a pain. Hopefully a more general approach can be implemented in development.

Thanks for "listening."

/R
JeffTucker

Posted: 11 Jun 18, 18:49   in response to: linuxrog in response to: linuxrog

ZigZag doesn't include a "provide your own CSS" setting, alas, but you can edit the skin files, and add this line at the very end of the common.css file:
.item h2 {display:none;}

This will apply to any album you make with ZigZag, and will be wiped out if you install an update. So, you might want to make your own copy of the skin and tinker with the copy.
davidekholm

Posted: 11 Jun 18, 18:50   in response to: linuxrog in response to: linuxrog
Correct
I might add a setting for this. Until we have that, edit the file "index.htt" of Zigzag (CTRL+SHIFT+E), then delete
<h2>${title}</h2>
from line 8. Save and make the album again.
JeffTucker

Posted: 11 Jun 18, 18:51   in response to: linuxrog in response to: linuxrog

linuxrog wrote:
Oh . . . adding a non-breaking space to the Title field requires editing this field for every image, a pain.

You can enter a comment for one image, then copy it (right-click, Comment, Copy), select all of the remaining images (CTRL-A), and paste the comment for them (right-click, Comment, Paste), all in one fell swoop.
JeffTucker

Posted: 11 Jun 18, 18:53   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
I might add a setting for this. Until we have that, edit the file "index.htt" of Zigzag (CTRL+SHIFT+E), then delete
<h2>${title}</h2>
from line 8. Save and make the album again.

Even better is the "my CSS" setting that a lot of other skins provide (mine and Laza's, for example). Takes care of all sorts of user-tinkering in a non-destructive way. And with luck, more of the users will learn how to use the browser developer tools to sniff out the CSS classes!
linuxrog

Posted: 11 Jun 18, 18:55   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

David: that would be GREAT. I'll look forward to seeing that enhancement. Still working on my first ZigZag album. Making step-by-step directions from Brooklyn to our apartment in the DC area with helpful images. ZigZag is ideal for this if one used his/her cell phone for navigation. Google maps doesn't "do it" for our tricky location. Google just shows blank space in place of roads and streets.
JeffTucker

Posted: 11 Jun 18, 19:01   in response to: linuxrog in response to: linuxrog

linuxrog wrote:
Google just shows blank space in place of roads and streets.

Moved into one of the Anacostia "no go" zones? ;)
linuxrog

Posted: 11 Jun 18, 19:09   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

I see that you've been "around."

I know a guy . . ..
linuxrog

Posted: 11 Jun 18, 19:15   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Here's what I ended-up with (please ignore the poor quality images shot thru a wind shield): Directions..

Too much white space and an errant separator image (the double line). If a title is entered, it appears before the separator image which I'm using to delineate between a picture/comment duple.

Guess I've got more to do.

Edited by: linuxrog on 12-Jun-2018 15:31
The linked album is being deleted.
linuxrog

Posted: 13 Jun 18, 01:33   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Ah, removing (commenting-out) the h2 {title}

did the trick. Nicer / easier than substituting non-breaking-spaces to the title for many images. Guess I'll have to check to see if this gets over-written with an update.

Will look forward to having this as an option in the skin settings.

Thanks.

/Roger
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums