This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 2 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 11 Jun 18, 23:27 Last Post By: killiney1903
killiney1903

Tiger - iMac - Kiosk - What is the best solution?
Posted: 8 Jun 18, 22:05

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Apologies, if this is posted to the wrong section of the forum.

We are a golf club and have an album build using jAlbum and Tiger. Currently it contains approx 7,000 images and 8 videos, in individual folders from 2018 to 1903. I expect the image count to increase to 10,000 in the near future. We are getting additional historic material scanned.

Currently the album is only accessed via our website. Members must log into the site to gain access to the album. The collection is searchable using the Tiger search function. It works perfectly.

I would like to install an iMac in the lobby dedicated to the jAlbum Tiger collection. It would have to be in some form of 'Kiosk". Presumably a kiosk utility would be needed to lock the machine so the it couldn't be interfered with. Even if the machine was rebooted the the jAlbum album would pop up on screen.

Because the Tiger search function is critical to the use of the collection, it would be necessary to give users access to a keyboard and a mouse.

Because of the quality of the display I'm interested in using an iMac.

Not sure how to do this. However, I'm sure some forum member has looked at this and solved it. Any advice would be welcome.

Again, apologies if this is posted to the wrong place.

PeterB
RobM

Re: Tiger - iMac - Kiosk - What is the best solution?
Posted: 9 Jun 18, 12:32   in response to: killiney1903 in response to: killiney1903

Moved to General discussion as it is a general question.

The easiest way would be to just set the iMac to auto login to a specific user account, one with no other information and ensuring any other account on the Mac does not allow sharing of folders with other users.

Any reboots would just give access to that account, only users who know the admin name and password would be able to override the auto login.

You could leave Safari running with the album page shown when closing down and have it reopen on starting again. But that wouldn’t restrict what users can do, like Close Safari or visit other sites and download files.

You could try nobkiosk from noblic.com.
Never used any kiosk software so can’t say much more about it.
killiney1903

Re: Tiger - iMac - Kiosk - What is the best solution?
Posted: 11 Jun 18, 23:27   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

Thank you.

Will check out NobKiosk.

Regards,

PererB
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums