This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 1. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 34 - Pages: 3 [ 1 2 3 | Next ] - Last Post: 27-Mar-2018 21:19 Last Post By: RobM Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
berutoran

Cannot invite people to a group I created!
Posted: 23-Mar-2018 08:14

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hi!

Yesterday, I created a private group.
I want to invite people to join this group, but I get 2 issues:
1. I can only choose within a short list of people (people who follows my albums???)
2. even if I click to invite one of these people in the list, nothing happens!

So:
A. How can I invite some people who doesn't show in the list prompted up?
B. How can I make the invitation effective when I click on the listed people?

I tried this on several browsers, on MacOS and Windows, but I always get the same non-responsive behaviour...

Many thanks for any help.
jGromit

Re: Cannot invite people to a group I created!
Posted: 23-Mar-2018 11:40   in response to: berutoran in response to: berutoran
Helpful
Strange behavior, indeed. I'd never tried this before, but if I set up a private group, the list of potential invitees consists of only 6 names. All 6 are, indeed, on my "followers" list, but that list actually includes 27 names. So I have no idea what the criterion is.

I didn't actually try to invite any of them, since the six names available are almost all people who haven't visited here in years.
berutoran

Posted: 23-Mar-2018 12:15   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Thank you for your reply.

Would it be possible to check with the web service development team in order to fix this issue?

Many thanks in advance.
jGromit

Posted: 23-Mar-2018 12:22   in response to: berutoran in response to: berutoran

berutoran wrote:
Would it be possible to check with the web service development team in order to fix this issue?

You're apparently under the impression that there's a web service development "team."

There's David, who does core application development, Laza, who does skins, and Anders, who does pretty much everything else, including watering the office houseplants. That's it. Think about what those three are trying to handle: the desktop application, the mobile apps, the website, the forums, the hosting operation, the help desk, the blog, the newsletters, the finances, etc.

Unless there's a very easy fix, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for problems with private groups to be addressed. Kind of a low priority.
jGromit

Posted: 23-Mar-2018 12:26   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Attachment ss003812.png (289.8 KB)
There's a "team" picture on this site, but it needs updating. Here's my take on it. From left, Laza, David, Anders. They could hold an "all hands" meeting in an old Saab. ;)
AnCa

Posted: 23-Mar-2018 14:17   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:
and Anders, who does pretty much everything else, including watering the office houseplants.

Yepp, Friday is plant watering day. So I gotta remember doing that. :)

The invite popup looks a bit weird. It is supposed to be a grid layout, but is a plain list. I'll check why. (It probably broke when we made the site responsive a few years ago, which means this is a rarely used function as noone have noticed this.)
jGromit

Posted: 23-Mar-2018 14:43   in response to: AnCa in response to: AnCa

You should probably call a meeting of the web development team. I believe they're now on the 37th floor of jAlbum World Headquarters.
AnCa

Posted: 23-Mar-2018 17:12   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Ah, I'm stuck on the 1st floor. That's why I never see them!
berutoran

Posted: 24-Mar-2018 04:27   in response to: AnCa in response to: AnCa

I apologize!
Please don't take my words badly!

jAlbum Desktop app is a great app and all the services you propose (even if there are bugs and potential improvements) are globally so impressive that I couldn't figure even one second that just 3 people are behind this work!

Now I understand much more the situation.

So, I would say: When you have time, it would be fine to fix the issue I pointed. And concerning my project, I guess I will look for another solution...

Edited by: berutoran on 24-Mar-2018 04:47
berutoran

Posted: 24-Mar-2018 04:36   in response to: AnCa in response to: AnCa

I do understand that most people using jAlbum want to have their pictures watched by as many people as possible, so public groups are the "rule".
But I am presently looking for solutions for a strictly private, non commercial project.
This is why I started testing jAlbum groups to see if this can fit my needs.
Also, I have to admit that I am not used to album.net service, which I very rarely use.
(I consider myself as a novice on jalbum.net)

I know you will tell me that their are other ways to create private galleries on the Web...
and I am presently testing these other solutions too... with some constraints (most members of the project have very poor skill on IT and the Web, some even don't have a computer, just a smartphone, and I don't want this to be too much work only for one person (me)...) But I still want a very good-looking and collaborative photo gallery...

Edited by: berutoran on 24-Mar-2018 04:36

Edited by: berutoran on 24-Mar-2018 04:53
jGromit

Posted: 24-Mar-2018 04:54   in response to: berutoran in response to: berutoran

berutoran wrote:
I apologize!

No need to apologize! We always get a chuckle when people assume that jAlbum is a large organization. If they only knew just how small it is.

People even think that I'm part of the team. I'm not - I'm just a retired IT guy in the U.S. who tries to help out. David keeps promising me a big bag of kronor, but it never shows up. ;)

Even when working as originally built, the private groups seem to be very limited. If you can't invite people unless they "follow" you, that makes it rather difficult: email them, ask them to follow you, then invite them to the group - that's a long way to go to get there!

Setting up private, but shared, galleries on the web is a difficult thing to do. Maybe someone else will have some ideas about how to do it. It's easy to set up a gallery that most other people can't see. Setting up a place where different people can post their own galleries to share with the group - that's the hard part.
jGromit

Posted: 24-Mar-2018 04:56   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

One quick test. I just "followed" you. Invite me to join your private group. I want to see if I get the email. (I won't actually invade your family galleries!)
berutoran

Posted: 24-Mar-2018 05:04   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Yes, I do agree with you.

I guess that, in a first stage at least, I will create an hidden album and share the link with all other members of the project. But this means that I will do all the job, which is exactly what I want to avoid...
berutoran

Posted: 24-Mar-2018 05:09   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Sorry! You are not part of the six persons listed up. I cannot invite you!
jGromit

Posted: 24-Mar-2018 05:11   in response to: berutoran in response to: berutoran

berutoran wrote:
Sorry! You are not part of the six persons listed up. I cannot invite you!

Ah, yes, I understand. I keep one little dummy account so that I can test things like this, but that one isn't one of the "magic six," either, so I can't do the test!
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums