This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 28 - Pages: 2 [ 1 2 | Next ] - Last Post: 07-Feb-2018 22:18 Last Post By: PaulWhiting Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
PaulWhiting

can't log on to Filezilla forum
Posted: 05-Feb-2018 22:29

Click to reply to this thread Reply
I'm in a real Catch-22 with the Filezilla Forum and this (jAlbum) is the only place I can think of that might help.

It was my first attempt to log on to the Filezilla Forum and I created a User Name and Password. I immediately tried to log on but got a msg saying my User Name was incorrect. I tried several more times, altering my User Name slightly thinking I had perhaps entered a typo. Nothing worked. I saw a message telling me to contact the Board Administrator but then I got a message saying that page had been deleted.

There are probably many users here familiar with Filezilla.. am I in the right forum? If not, please feel free to move me, just let me know where.

Thanks all!

PS I'm using the Turtle skin. My question is, when working on my website, somehow the titles for other folders get gathered as subfolders into a parent forum. I do have some screen shots, I can post those at any time.
jGromit

Re: can't log on to Filezilla forum
Posted: 05-Feb-2018 22:39   in response to: PaulWhiting in response to: PaulWhiting

Go back to the FileZilla forum and register with a new, different user name. Be very careful about giving it a working email address. You can't login until you've received the activation email from the forum, and clicked on the link that it provides, so don't jump the gun.

If it won't let you register (if you use the same email address, it might balk), let me know what username and email address you used to register. I have an account on that forum, and can probably PM the admin, asking him to get in touch with you. I'm not active over there, but my account is working.

I'll move this thread in a bit, probably to the Supporting applications forum section, since it's not really part of jAlbum.
RobM

Posted: 05-Feb-2018 22:42   in response to: PaulWhiting in response to: PaulWhiting

Have you tried clicking on the 'I forgot my password' link?
If you don't get the email then the registration process probably failed.
PaulWhiting

Posted: 05-Feb-2018 23:10   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

I'm feeling like I'm missing something very elemental here but if I don't give them a working email address, how can I be notified I'm registered? And it told me to use the same email address as my account there, but I don't have an account.

Sorry!

PS: in my OP PS it should read "parent folder" not "parent forum".
jGromit

Posted: 05-Feb-2018 23:14   in response to: PaulWhiting in response to: PaulWhiting

PaulWhiting wrote:
... if I don't give them a working email address, how can I be notified I'm registered?

Exactly. That's why I said to make sure you give them a working email address. They need to email you to validate your registration. If you give them a bad email address, you can't get registered.
PaulWhiting

Posted: 05-Feb-2018 23:25   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Sorry! I misread this: Be very careful about giving it a working email address.

Can't believe it... ah, the English language!

I'll take you up on your offer to contact the people over at the Filezilla Forum and ask them to PM me. Thanks very much!
jGromit

Posted: 05-Feb-2018 23:41   in response to: PaulWhiting in response to: PaulWhiting

I would be curious to see your FileZilla screenshots. But before you capture them, go to the FileZilla toolbar, choose View, and make sure at least the following options are checked:

• Filelist status bars
  • Local directory tree
  • Remote directory tree

If other things are also checked, that's fine, but those three are critical.

Now connect to your web host. On the left, navigate to where your finished album is on your PC. On the right, navigate to the target directory on your web host. Now take the screenshot, and don't crop it - we need to see all of it.
PaulWhiting

Posted: 05-Feb-2018 23:43   in response to: PaulWhiting in response to: PaulWhiting

And to RobM: thank you, I tried that, too!
PaulWhiting

Posted: 06-Feb-2018 00:07   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Attachment Capture.JPG (166.4 KB)
Here's my screen shot... I hope that's what you need. The problem is, for example, if you click on Illinois in the upper right pane, you'll get two subfolders Mexico and MT-WY, which are parent folders elsewhere. Likewise... if you click on any folder, you'll usually get 2,3, 4 or 5 other main folders. It's all random, some folders contain none of the subfolders.

If you wish, I can post smaller screenshots to Illustrate this.
PaulWhiting

Posted: 06-Feb-2018 00:43   in response to: PaulWhiting in response to: PaulWhiting

Attachment MexicoFolder.JPG (60.5 KB)
Here's a small shot of the subfolders contained in a folder.
jGromit

Posted: 06-Feb-2018 00:52   in response to: PaulWhiting in response to: PaulWhiting

Attachment Capture.JPG (194.9 KB)
What all that tells me is that it's time for some serious housecleaning. This is going to seem extreme, but you need to clear out the results of prior misadventures.

First, in jAlbum, go to Tools, Preferences, Album. Make sure that both Clean old "res" files on "make album" and "Synchronize output directory* are checked. I'm betting that the second one isn't, and that's why you've ended up with a bunch of unnecessary stuff in the output.

Open the album project in jAlbum, click the little down-arrow to the right of the project name, and choose Delete, Delete local album.

Now, do you see a folder called utility in the jAlbum Explore view? I'm not clear about what that is, but it's certainly not part of the finished album, so you can probably delete it if it's there. I'm guessing it's empty, anyway.

Now, in FileZilla, do some major deletions. See the screenshot. Just delete everything on the server, so you can start off fresh. That's going to take a bit of time, since it has to get rid of things one file at a time. Go make a cup of tea. The logs and PaulWhitingPhotography folders will probably reappear later - these are being created by your web host, not by jAlbum.

Finally, back to jAlbum, and click Make Album. When it's done, upload the album again.
jGromit

Posted: 06-Feb-2018 00:59   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

BTW, you can forget about looking for help on the FileZilla forum. FileZilla is just a simple copying tool. If you tell it to upload a bunch of files and folders, that's what it does. It doesn't know or care about what those files are, and it certainly doesn't "freelance," and start putting things in multiple places. It puts the files where you tell it to, even if you've told it to put the stuff in the wrong place.

From your second screenshot, I can reconstruct exactly what you did, sometime in the past. You uploaded your entire album to the Mexico directory on the server, instead of uploading it to the top level of your domain. So, you've ended up with your entire album nested within the Mexico folder of the album. When you did the upload correctly, the extraneous stuff wasn't removed. FileZilla doesn't synchronize the directories - it just adds to what's already there.
PaulWhiting

Posted: 06-Feb-2018 01:20   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

This looks terrific, jGromit, thanks so much. I won't be able to do much with this for now. Getting late in the day, even later for you in the wilds of NW Connecticut. I may have to pick up on this in the am.

I want to explain why I tried to start my questions in the FileZilla Forum... you gave me tremendous help over in the Turtle forum, but as my questions tended toward FileZilla I thought it made sense to go over to their Forum. Had trouble joining that group so I came back here... I hadn't noticed this "Supporting Applications" group - so - I'm back!

Didn't want you to think I was not grateful for that Turtle skin thread. I think you're on to something here.
PaulWhiting

Posted: 06-Feb-2018 18:30   in response to: PaulWhiting in response to: PaulWhiting

Attachment Capture.JPG (46.4 KB)
Well, things were going smoothly, except for a red flag that came up while deleting the folders... I couldn't delete the logs folder, even tried changing its attributes. The change attributes window was different from what I'm used to, maybe I didn't do that properly.

I decided to proceed anyway, but the upload process got stuck - see attached screen capture. I think it's that logs folder that's at fault. Net result is that I was not able to create a fresh web page.

(BTW, that utility page is my addition. I used to use this when I was in a situation that wouldn't allow attachments, I would put the jpg there and provide a link to my correspondent. I don't need it much any more.)
jGromit

Posted: 06-Feb-2018 18:53   in response to: PaulWhiting in response to: PaulWhiting

Attachment Capture.JPG (162.6 KB)
PaulWhiting wrote:
Well, things were going smoothly, except for a red flag that came up while deleting the folders... I couldn't delete the logs folder, even tried changing its attributes.

Then just leave it alone. As I suspected, that's something your web host placed there, and they need it.

I decided to proceed anyway, but the upload process got stuck....

For now, let's skip the jAlbum uploader. Just use FileZilla to do the uploading. You want to open the album folder and upload everything that's inside that folder - there will be additional folders, plus files like index.html. Don't upload the folder itself - you want to upload the contents of the folder.

See screenshot.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums