This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 0. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 15 - Pages: 2 [ 1 2 | Next ] - Last Post: 20 Jan 18, 23:35 Last Post By: RobM Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
MarkusD

GUI - Features missing - #1
Posted: 20 Jan 18, 15:21

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hi,

I'm in the process of preparing a journey and working a lot with JA. And I found out that I do miss some features. Because I'm lazy to make screen shots, I recorded a video with some comments. Hopefully I missed what I'm looking for any you can help me out. Otherwise maybe team Sweden considers to think of improvements on this topic. TIA, Markus
RobM

Re: GUI - Features missing - #1
Posted: 20 Jan 18, 15:26   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD

JAlbum has a nice feature for converting WMV files to MP4, you seem to have missed that feature ;)
(WMV is not a universally playable format.)
JeffTucker

Posted: 20 Jan 18, 15:36   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD
Helpful
Attachment ss003699.png (224.6 KB)
There's something wrong with either your jAlbum install, or with the images you're providing it. I have no difficulty putting "color" flags on any jAlbum object - JPG, GIF, TIFF, PNG, MP4, etc. See screenshot. I do agree that there's currently no way to batch-mark them, however - it's one at a time.

The yellow warning triangles on your thumbnails might provide a clue - mouse-hover on one of them to determine why they're there.
MarkusD

Posted: 20 Jan 18, 15:40   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

Upps, I forgot that the W in WMV stands for Windows. Sorry. That's the standard file format my screen recorder FastStone produces.
JeffTucker

Posted: 20 Jan 18, 15:42   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

RobM wrote:
JAlbum has a nice feature for converting WMV files to MP4....

Done. https://jefftucker.jalbum.net/Features-Missing-01.mp4
MarkusD

Posted: 20 Jan 18, 15:51   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

jGromit wrote:
The yellow warning triangles on your thumbnails might provide a clue - mouse-hover on one of them to determine why they're there.
The yellow warning triangles is because I use HidDPI thumbnails and HiDPI images and the pictures are screen shots with 2560x1600, which seems to be to small.

I do agree that there's currently no way to batch-mark them, however - it's one at a time.
Thanks for confirming that, so this is not because I missed some thing.

I just uploaded that picture in question. I'll try to reinstall from scratch.

Btw. What I also miss is how can I unrate a picture? You can give one or two or up to five stars, but there is no obvious icon to reset to no star.
MarkusD

Posted: 20 Jan 18, 16:06   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

jGromit wrote:
There's something wrong with either your jAlbum install, or with the images you're providing it.
Did a uninstall and new install and indeed, setting colors now works. Thanks for the hint.

Still, it would be a cool feature to rate or give a color for a couple of objects at once.
JeffTucker

Posted: 20 Jan 18, 16:07   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD
Helpful
MarkusD wrote:
The yellow warning triangles is because I use HidDPI thumbnails and HiDPI images and the pictures are screen shots with 2560x1600, which seems to be to small.

Ah, yes, OK. That's not a problem (I just tested it, and the ratings still work).

I just uploaded that picture in question.

Hmmm... No problem assigning a flag or star to that one.

I have a weak theory that it might be a permission problem. Open the image directory - Tools, Open directories, Image directory - and open the .jalbum subdirectory. For an image like mydog.jpg, there should be a mydog.jpg.info file. It's just a text file, and the contents should look something like this (which has a title and a flag - in this case, a blue "Review" flag):
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<java version="9.0.1" class="java.beans.XMLDecoder">
 <object class="java.util.HashMap">
  <void method="put">
   <string>flag</string>
   <object class="java.lang.Enum" method="valueOf">
    <class>se.datadosen.jalbum.Flag</class>
    <string>Review</string>
   </object>
  </void>
  <void method="put">
   <string>title</string>
   <string>This is the Title</string>
  </void>
 </object>
</java>

Btw. What I also miss is how can I unrate a picture? You can give one or two or up to five stars, but there is no obvious icon to reset to no star.

That one puzzled me the first time I ran into it. The "star" rating is actually a slider. Just click and drag to the left, and you'll be back to "no stars."
JeffTucker

Posted: 20 Jan 18, 16:08   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD

MarkusD wrote:
Did a uninstall and new install and indeed, setting colors now works. Thanks for the hint.

Good. :)

There was almost no way that could have been failing!

See my comment about the star ratings, however. ;)
MarkusD

Posted: 20 Jan 18, 16:32   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

jGromit wrote:
That one puzzled me the first time I ran into it. The "star" rating is actually a slider. Just click and drag to the left, and you'll be back to "no stars."
I can confirm that, that works to unrate a picture, thanks. I would go for another, more user friendly GUI. Just look at the screen shot, which is from ACDSee, there is just another icon to reset the color and the rating.
RobM

Posted: 20 Jan 18, 19:31   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD

A hint form the tips page of the wiki - quickly rate and flag images in slide show mode. The other way is to enter edit mode and rate/flag an image and then move to the next image.
RobM

Posted: 20 Jan 18, 21:02   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

To mark multiple thumbnails with the same star rating just select them and then press keys 0 to 5 for none to 5 stars.
RobM

Posted: 20 Jan 18, 21:11   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

For adding flags in slide show mode you can also use the 'F' key to toggle the flag through all of the available colours, none, red, yellow, blue and green.
MarkusD

Posted: 20 Jan 18, 23:18   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

RobM wrote:
For adding flags in slide show mode you can also use the 'F' key to toggle the flag through all of the available colours, none, red, yellow, blue and green.
Thanks for that hint. I confirm that all these keys are working in the Review mode. It would still be a good idea to make all these keys work in *Explore" mode too. Right now only "0" to "5" do work.
MarkusD

Posted: 20 Jan 18, 23:22   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

RobM wrote:
To mark multiple thumbnails with the same star rating just select them and then press keys 0 to 5 for none to 5 stars.
Brilliant! That what's I expected from the beginning, after the reinstall it works. Glad to see that still more keyboard-shortcut fans are out there. ;-)
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums