This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 17 - Pages: 2 [ 1 2 | Next ] - Last Post: 23-Nov-2017 12:32 Last Post By: davidekholm Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
mrag

Downloading jA15 issue
Posted: 20-Nov-2017 20:48

Click to reply to this thread Reply
So I see v15 is released. I download from
https://jalbum.net/en/software/download
and assume it knows I have Win10, 64 and includes Java. It was a 116 MB download.

I install over the previous version and after "install" I get the following pop-up!

I then went and downloaded Java, uninstalled jAlbum, downloaded the zip version and now things are "fine." But I'm thinking it shouldn't have gone that way.
AndreWolff

Re: Downloading jA15 issue
Posted: 20-Nov-2017 20:59   in response to: mrag in response to: mrag

I did report this already during the beta test, see here, but apparently David was eager to release version 15 thinking that jGromit’s reply was correct!
jGromit

Posted: 20-Nov-2017 21:07   in response to: mrag in response to: mrag

mrag wrote:
I install over the previous version and after "install" I get the following pop-up!

Um.... https://jalbum.net/forum/thread.jspa?threadID=53316
davidekholm

Posted: 20-Nov-2017 22:11   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

I suspect that a bug as sneaked into the recently updated software we us to build installers. I'm waiting for comments from the makers on this.
mrag

Posted: 20-Nov-2017 23:07   in response to: mrag in response to: mrag

I should have checked to see if the issue was already reported. My bad.

FWIW, I did follow the pop-up and downloaded and installed Java. I then used the pop-up's BROWSE... button to point to the JRE path. That did not work.

At that point I resorted to the zip version.
davidekholm

Posted: 21-Nov-2017 15:38   in response to: mrag in response to: mrag

I've repackaged jAlbum 15 with an older version of the installer maker (v14.2.1 instead of v14.4.2). See if it helps. Uninstall earlier versions first just to be on the safe side:

jAlbum for Windows 64 bit, packaged with AdvancedInstaller 14.2.1:
http://jalbum.net/download/jAlbum-install.exe
mrag

Posted: 21-Nov-2017 16:19   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

I got lazy and just downloaded from your link above. I assumed I could go back if necessary. I had only installed Java and jAlbum was running from the zip version, not really "installed."

Install went smoothly and seemingly working fine. Seemed to go faster too, maybe my imagination.
MarkusD

Posted: 21-Nov-2017 19:29   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
I've repackaged jAlbum 15 with an older version of the installer maker (v14.2.1 instead of v14.4.2). See if it helps. Uninstall earlier versions first just to be on the safe side:

I de installed the v15 version which I loaded on Sunday. I then installed the above version. Then the v15 version started without any error.
davidekholm

Posted: 22-Nov-2017 11:29   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD

Thanks for confirming Marcus. I've now received confirmations that jAlbum 15 now runs, coming from basically all users that reported this problem earlier.
AndreWolff

Posted: 22-Nov-2017 11:32   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:

Which JAVA version is used in this version?
davidekholm

Posted: 22-Nov-2017 11:35   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

AndreWolff wrote:
davidekholm wrote:

Which JAVA version is used in this version?

See Help->About jAlbum->System->"java.runtime.version". It's the latest Java 8_u152, i.e. the last version supported by AdvancedInstaller 14.2.1.
AndreWolff

Posted: 22-Nov-2017 11:39   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
See Help->About jAlbum->System->"java.runtime.version". It's the latest Java 8_u152, i.e. the last version supported by AdvancedInstaller 14.2.1.
To see that I have to install it first!

I can't use that version, because I have a HDPI screen, so I hope you will keep the version with JAVA 9 available on your site!
davidekholm

Posted: 22-Nov-2017 11:53   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

AndreWolff wrote:
davidekholm wrote:
To see that I have to install it first!

I can't use that version, because I have a HDPI screen, so I hope you will keep the version with JAVA 9 available on your site!

I plan to await a bit an let the Java9 version stay on site as the default installer. I hope we can repackage jAlbum with a fixed AdvancedInstaller within a couple of days.
davidekholm

Posted: 22-Nov-2017 17:37   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Consulting with the makers of the installer builder we use I've rebuilt the jAlbum 15 package again using the latest version of the installer builder. Now it hopefully works better. Can you please try installing and running this version: https://jalbum.net/download/15/Windows/jAlbum-install.exe (64 bit Windows)

(first try installing on top of your existing installation. If it fails, uninstall and then run this installer)
jGromit

Posted: 22-Nov-2017 17:58   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Works for me, but then again, the "faulty" installer also worked for me, so who knows?

jAlbum definitely launches faster now, however.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums