This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 12 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 21-Nov-2017 17:35 Last Post By: bcaffarel Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
bcaffarel

Album size not calculating
Posted: 20-Nov-2017 03:05

Click to reply to this thread Reply
When I try to upload the album, the album size timer just keeps spinning. I've left it for an hour and it has not yet calculated the album size, so I'm not able to upload the album. Anybody have any suggestions?
JeffTucker

Re: Album size not calculating
Posted: 20-Nov-2017 05:19   in response to: bcaffarel in response to: bcaffarel

Are you uploading to jalbum.net, or to your own web host? Does a small test album work, something with just a few images in it? Are you able to upload with a standalone FTP client program like FileZilla?
bcaffarel

Posted: 20-Nov-2017 06:48   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

I am uploading to my own web host. I am able to upload with FileZilla. I'll try a small test album.
bcaffarel

Posted: 20-Nov-2017 06:58   in response to: bcaffarel in response to: bcaffarel

I created an album with just six images and it worked just fine. I uploaded it twice to recreate the uploading situation I'm dealing with my "real" album.
JeffTucker

Posted: 20-Nov-2017 07:44   in response to: bcaffarel in response to: bcaffarel

Hmmmm... That suggests that there's a problem with the manifest file that gets planted on the server. On the first upload, it isn't present on the server, so that upload works. But subsequent uploads to the same location are looking at that manifest file, and it's apparently getting mangled in some way.

David may have some ideas about why this is happening. In the meantime, you can just use FileZilla to upload your album. Upload everything in the album's output directory - choose Tools, Open directories, Output directory to see the files that need to be uploaded. To speed things up, tell FileZilla to upload only new or changed files.

Alternatively, before you upload your "real" album, connect to your host, navigate to the directory that contains the album, and delete the manifest.jmf file that's sitting there. Then try the jAlbum uploader again - I'll wager it works this time.
bcaffarel

Posted: 20-Nov-2017 08:45   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Well...neither of the solutions worked. I removed the manifest.jmf and jAlbum still would not calculate the album size, so it wouldn't start the upload. I was able to transfer the files listed in the Open Directory list, but amazingly the website was not updated.

My understanding is when jAlbum is calculating the album size it's looking in the local directory, not the server. Is that correct? If so, my upload problem is a communication problem with the local directory where the album is located.
JeffTucker

Posted: 20-Nov-2017 09:09   in response to: bcaffarel in response to: bcaffarel

bcaffarel wrote:
I removed the manifest.jmf and jAlbum still would not calculate the album size, so it wouldn't start the upload.

Sometimes my hunches don't pay off. :(

I was able to transfer the files listed in the Open Directory list, but amazingly the website was not updated.

Unless you transferred the wrong files (for example, uploading the album directory, rather than the contents of the album directory), or transferred them to the wrong directory on the server, or haven't cleared your browser cache, there's no reason why this would not work. Uploading really is just the process of copying files from one machine to another. There's nothing else going on.

My understanding is when jAlbum is calculating the album size it's looking in the local directory, not the server.

It can be tough to tell because of jAlbum's multi-threading. There may be several things happening at once, and a "hang" in any one of them could produce the endless spinner.
JeffTucker

Posted: 20-Nov-2017 09:13   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

jGromit wrote:
Unless you transferred the wrong files (for example, uploading the album directory, rather than the contents of the album directory)....

Somewhere along the line, you appear to have done exactly this. There are two albums up there, one at this location, which is where it should be:

http://www.beckmarrstudios.com/Galleries/

And one here, which is not correct:

http://www.beckmarrstudios.com/Galleries/album/
bcaffarel

Posted: 20-Nov-2017 19:26   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

I don't see an "album" folder inside of http://www,beckmarrstudios.com/Galleries/album, but I do see these files :
album.rss, embed,html, index.html, lifeboat.zip, and nano.js

Are these the files I should delete out of the http://www,beckmarrstudios.com/Galleries/album folder?
JeffTucker

Posted: 20-Nov-2017 19:30   in response to: bcaffarel in response to: bcaffarel

You've uploaded the album to two different locations, one a subdirectory of the other - try both of the links I posted above.

Edit: If you want the address of your album to be http://www.beckmarrstudios.com/Galleries/ there shouldn't be an album folder at all. It's unnecessary. There should be only index.html, res, slides, thumbs, album.rss, lifeboat.zip, maybe some Javascript files (depending upon how the skin wants to organize things).

As I said, you don't want to upload the album directory. You want to upload the contents of the album directory.
bcaffarel

Posted: 21-Nov-2017 07:03   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Thank you so much for your time and help. I appreciate you hanging in there with me until the problem was solved. I went in and deleted the Album folder and all the extra files. It works like a charm now. Thanks again.
JeffTucker

Posted: 21-Nov-2017 13:27   in response to: bcaffarel in response to: bcaffarel

Glad you've gotten the album uploaded properly. :)

The remaining mystery is the "endless spinner" that started this. Is that still happening? If so, we'll need to draw David's attention to this thread.
bcaffarel

Posted: 21-Nov-2017 17:35   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

The "endless spinner" issue has finally ended. jAlbum correctly calculated the album size and uploaded the files correctly. Thanks again.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums