Permlink Replies: 22 - Pages: 2 [ 1 2 | Next ] - Last Post: 10-Nov-2017 16:43 Last Post By: jGromit Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
RobM

Built in server
Posted: 06-Nov-2017 22:18
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
Attachment server error.png (75,5 KB)
AnCa wrote:
karlmistelberger wrote:
Installing a web server on your machine circumvents these problems:
It's probably worth mentioning that jAlbum got a built in web server too. Start it by selecting Tools->Share...->Start.
I still have problems getting this to work on my Mac, how do I get round the firewall - see attached? I have added jAlbum under firewall options but it makes no difference.

The only way I can get it working is turning the firewall off - not something I would do when online.
karlmistelberger

Re: Local Preview
Posted: 07-Nov-2017 06:37   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
Attachment jalbum123.png (34,5 KB)
RobM wrote:
AnCa wrote:
karlmistelberger wrote:
It's probably worth mentioning that jAlbum got a built in web server too. Start it by selecting Tools->Share...->Start.
I still have problems getting this to work on my Mac, how do I get round the firewall - see attached? I have added jAlbum under firewall options but it makes no difference.
Got the same message with jAlbum using a bogus ip address. Added the hostname and got a working connection, see screenshot.
RobM

Posted: 07-Nov-2017 09:51   in response to: karlmistelberger in response to: karlmistelberger
Attachment ServerError2.png (328,2 KB)
karlmistelberger wrote:
RobM wrote:
AnCa wrote:
karlmistelberger wrote:
Got the same message with jAlbum using a bogus ip address. Added the hostname and got a working connection, see screenshot.
That still gives the same error on a Mac, see attached.
karlmistelberger

Posted: 07-Nov-2017 10:51   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM wrote:
That still gives the same error on a Mac, see attached.

I am not an expert in networking, but I am trying to give the relevant details of my LAN

• Gateway (10.0.0.138) THOMSON TG585 v7 with firewall and UPnP

• hofkirchen (10.0.0.14) runs openSUSE Tumbleweed with default network settings and firewall disabled. It uses the TG585 as nameserver.

With the above Apache2 works out of the box. jAlbum needs some tinkering (adding the hostname).
AnCa

Posted: 07-Nov-2017 12:41   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM wrote:
The only way I can get it working is turning the firewall off - not something I would do when online.
I never have the Firewall enabled on my Mac. I'm always behind a router so I don't see the point of having a firewall on the computer too.
RobM

Posted: 07-Nov-2017 13:10   in response to: AnCa in response to: AnCa
AnCa wrote:
RobM wrote:
I never have the Firewall enabled on my Mac. I'm always behind a router so I don't see the point of having a firewall on the computer too.
I'm paranoid ;) I don't really know how ISP router's firewalls compare to OS ones, I use stealth mode - is that not of use?
RobM

Posted: 07-Nov-2017 13:39   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM wrote:
AnCa wrote:
RobM wrote:
I'm paranoid ;) I don't really know how ISP router's firewalls compare to OS ones, I use stealth mode - is that not of use?
Branched to General discussion as it is a bit off topic.
I think I’ll stick to keeping my OS firewall active after reading this article
AnCa

Posted: 07-Nov-2017 13:55   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM wrote:
I'm paranoid ;) I don't really know how ISP router's firewalls compare to OS ones,
Well, I always use my own WiFi-router. :) If I have to have an (ADSL) modem from an ISP I've always use its bridge mode, so it's "transparent" and I can use my own equipment.

I use stealth mode - is that not of use?
I assume it also blocks outgoing connections so you have full control over them. I guess it could be good.
jGromit

Posted: 07-Nov-2017 15:14   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM wrote:
I think I’ll stick to keeping my OS firewall active....

Without getting into a technical debate, a quick thought experiment:

• The macOS comes with the firewall disabled.
  • How many Mac users are even aware that the firewall exists?
  • How many Mac users ever turn the firewall on?
  • How many Mac users know what "stealth mode" is?
  • How many Mac users enable "stealth mode?"
  • How many horror stories have you heard about Macs being compromised because the firewall is off?
  • What would a reasonable person conclude from this?
RobM

Posted: 07-Nov-2017 15:23   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
RobM wrote:
I think I’ll stick to keeping my OS firewall active....

Without getting into a technical debate, a quick thought experiment:

• The macOS comes with the firewall disabled.
  • How many Mac users are even aware that the firewall exists?
  • How many Mac users ever turn the firewall on?
  • How many Mac users know what "stealth mode" is?
  • How many Mac users enable "stealth mode?"
  • How many horror stories have you heard about Macs being compromised because the firewall is off?
  • What would a reasonable person conclude from this?
Are you accusing me of being reasonable? ;)
I have no idea on how to get such stats, all I know is I’ve never had a problem, apart from jAlbum’s server, with the firewall on. I’m happy for the server part to not work if it is purely because of the OS firewall.

From the wiki for Tools/Shring:
Starts the built in web server which allows you to share your albums with others. The address for the shared album is presented once sharing is turned on. Contribute to this topic if you use Sharing!
jGromit

Posted: 07-Nov-2017 15:29   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM wrote:
I have no idea on how to get such stats, all I know is I’ve never had a problem, apart from jAlbum’s server, with the firewall on.

And millions upon millions of Mac users have never had a problem with the firewall off. If this were not true, Macs would ship with the firewall enabled by default (as Windows does).

Conclusion: it's not needed.

Cf: I wear a tinfoil hat every day, and my mind has never been taken over by aliens. Therefore, everyone should wear a tinfoil hat. ;)
RobM

Posted: 07-Nov-2017 22:08   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
Having taken off the tin foil hat I got the thing to run but…

The URL given is always encoded even if 'use web safe names' is selected, so the album fails to open if it has spaces in the path.
drmikey

Re: Built in server
Posted: 08-Nov-2017 00:20   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
This may not be what you're lookng for, but I have been running an Apache Web server on my Mac since OS X first came out (~ 2000) and test my skins and web pages on it with no thoughts of any firewall. You can even add PHP if you need it.
I just use OS X's built in Webserver folder, Mac HD ---> Library --> Webserver --> Documents . I make a new folder for my Jalbum output within this folder and then point my browser to
 your.macs.ip.address/Your-Jalbum-output-folder 
. For me it is
10.0.0.1/jalbum/ 
The small issue, is that Apple removed the easy way to start your own Apache Webserver in the Sharing Control Panel about 4 versions back so you either have to use the Terminal or you could use this handy little script I wrote to start up your server automatically by making it a startup item. If you want to see what the code is before running it (to make sure I am not taking over your Mac), open it with Script Editor and look at the Code.
karlmistelberger

Posted: 08-Nov-2017 08:31   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM wrote:
I think I’ll stick to keeping my OS firewall active after reading this article

The article points out that roaming devices may easily and inadvertently short circuit the firewall of your gateway, which is an important point. Wearing a tin foil hat won't help much. Always having in mind the topology of your LAN is a good idea, see this example. When it comes to content filtering there are more versatile solutions.
RobM

Re: Built in server
Posted: 08-Nov-2017 13:30   in response to: drmikey in response to: drmikey
drmikey wrote:
This may not be what you're lookng for, but I have been running an Apache Web server on my Mac since OS X first came out (~ 2000) and test my skins and web pages on it with no thoughts of any firewall. You can even add PHP if you need it.
I just use OS X's built in Webserver folder, Mac HD ---> Library --> Webserver --> Documents . I make a new folder for my Jalbum output within this folder and then point my browser to
 your.macs.ip.address/Your-Jalbum-output-folder 
. For me it is
10.0.0.1/jalbum/ 
The small issue, is that Apple removed the easy way to start your own Apache Webserver in the Sharing Control Panel about 4 versions back so you either have to use the Terminal or you could use this handy little script I wrote to start up your server automatically by making it a startup item. If you want to see what the code is before running it (to make sure I am not taking over your Mac), open it with Script Editor and look at the Code.
Thanks for sharing your AppleScript, I will have a play with it later.

There were two reasons for this post. First Karl posted in the Tips forum about installing a server on Windows and Linux to allow local preview of JSON based albums. Second, AndreWolff posted in the Feature requests forum asking for a preference setting to specify an external browser for jAlbum to use.

After AnCa replied to Karl about the jAlbum built in web server I decided to have another go at getting it working. Having turned the firewall off, the built in server works, making it easy to open a JSON based skin in your default browser.

For anyone wanting to use jAlbum’s built in web server see here
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums