Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

Permlink Replies: 356 - Pages: 24 [ Previous | 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 | Next ] - Last Post: 18-Nov-2017 16:56 Last Post By: davidekholm Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
AndreWolff

Re: jAlbum 14.2 beta for testing
Posted: 09-Nov-2017 15:42   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD
MarkusD wrote:
Haven't you ever heard of that: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_two_cents
No, I am not an American
AndreWolff

Posted: 09-Nov-2017 16:22   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
I don't think there's any skin whose (javascript) page code actually traverses the slides directory, but....
Yes there is, not a skin, but my program MakeMap, so the theme image should not be saved in the slides folder.
AndreWolff

Posted: 09-Nov-2017 16:29   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
AndreWolff wrote:
davidekholm wrote:
I have difficulties deciding on the placement. Your votes please!
Edit:
Placement in slides and the name ja_theme.jpg is OK for me.
David, my answer was incorrect, the theme image should not be saved in the 'slides' folder because that folder is investigated by my program MakeMap. So please save it in the root output folder under the name ja_theme.jpg
RobM

Posted: 09-Nov-2017 16:33   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
davidekholm wrote:
It's hard to decide on that. Your votes please? In this example I simply used the same name and placement as Turtle and Tiger. Theme images aren't slides after all so I see a point in putting them one level above.

I vote for slides simply because they have been processed by jAlbum.

In fact, I could argue that they should retain their original file names, and be planted in a theme folder - parallel to slide and thumbs.

My vote will probably be considered heresy but here goes.
Theme images could be added to the res folder of the project using the original file name. Then the path to the image is easy to produce and only one image is needed if the theme image is used in more than one folder.
AndreWolff

Posted: 09-Nov-2017 16:43   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM wrote:
Theme images could be added to the res folder of the project using the original file name. Then the path to the image is easy to produce and only one image is needed if the theme image is used in more than one folder.
I strongly disagree with this!

It makes it difficult to use a unique theme image for each folder and I have in my skins the possibility to use one res directory for a number of albums, so the contents of the res directory should not be changed if a new album is added.

The path to the output folder is also easy to produce, so I am in favour to use a theme image ja_theme.jpg in the output folder.
jGromit

Posted: 09-Nov-2017 16:49   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM wrote:

Time for the auto-da-fé!

Problem - there's currently no res directory for each folder, so you're inviting name collisions if you put them all in the res at the root level. And if there is a res directory for a folder, what should resPath point to? Remember, you probably have only one CSS file for the whole project....
RobM

Posted: 09-Nov-2017 17:19   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
RobM wrote:

Time for the auto-da-fé!

Problem - there's currently no res directory for each folder, so you're inviting name collisions if you put them all in the res at the root level. And if there is a res directory for a folder, what should resPath point to? Remember, you probably have only one CSS file for the whole project....

The only chance of a name collision is by having two different files with the sae name in two different folders both being chosen as the theme image - I’d say unlikely and easy to avoid.

The advantage though is for those that want a single theme image, maybe one theme per subfolder at the root level, you select it once and all subfolders having that theme name would automatically show the image with the crop as set. As it stands, a common theme image would have to be adjusted for cropping in every subfolder.

ResPath should always point to the root level resource folder, if you have a folder level res folder it is just currentDirectory + /res.

I did say it would be considered heresy, but I like the advantages ore than the disadvantage.
RobM

Posted: 09-Nov-2017 17:24   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
RobM wrote:
Remember, you probably have only one CSS file for the whole project....
Never! ;) I always use two, common.css for all of the layout and style.css for colours and any overrides needed.
karlmistelberger

Posted: 09-Nov-2017 18:35   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
Microsoft Windows Installer is a magical thing.
More Magic
jGromit

Posted: 09-Nov-2017 19:38   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
Here's a sample "postdir.bsh" that generates theme images for a skin....

Maybe this really is the place to leave things for this release. The important part of my original request was to have jAlbum provide a way for a user to designate an image to be used as the theme image. That's essentially what we've now gotten. Applying an appropriate crop filter to it is the icing on the cake.

If the jAlbum core just stops at that point, the skin can take over. It can choose to plant the processed image wherever it wants it, and name it whatever it likes. As far as having the core do this, instead, I suppose I prefer no decision to a bad decision that will cause heartache down the road.
RobM

Posted: 09-Nov-2017 19:46   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
davidekholm wrote:
Here's a sample "postdir.bsh" that generates theme images for a skin....

Maybe this really is the place to leave things for this release. The important part of my original request was to have jAlbum provide a way for a user to designate an image to be used as the theme image. That's essentially what we've now gotten. Applying an appropriate crop filter to it is the icing on the cake.

If the jAlbum core just stops at that point, the skin can take over. It can choose to plant the processed image wherever it wants it, and name it whatever it likes. As far as having the core do this, instead, I suppose I prefer no decision to a bad decision that will cause heartache down the road.

Sounds like a plan - it gets my vote :)
AndreWolff

Posted: 09-Nov-2017 21:29   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
The theme image selector / crop focus selector has a "remove" context menu that removes any explicit theme image and reverts to using the same theme image as the folder thumbnail. I currently don't have an option to not have theme images for certain folders.
This last point makes the Theme Image box on the folder panel useless: you can’t force a user to have a theme image for each folder!

You use the wrong menu text, you should change 'Remove' into 'Restore default image'.

Edited by: AndreWolff on 10-Nov-2017 04:18
AndreWolff

Posted: 10-Nov-2017 04:56   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
Attachment FolderPanel.PNG (71,7 KB)
Attachment folderimage.jpg (77,6 KB)
davidekholm wrote:
The current jalbum-core.jar HAS that getThemeImageDim() method. Ensure you're compiling against a current version of that jar file and not against an older copy.
I use folderImageSize= 1920x324 with maxImageWidth= 1920 and maxImageHeight= 1080 but the size of the generated folder image is 1000x300 and it looks very different from the image I see in the Theme image box.

edit:

If I add statement
engine.setThemeImageDim(maxImageWidth,maxImageHeight/3);
I get error:
Error in method invocation: Method setThemeImageDim( int, int ) not found in class'se.datadosen.jalbum.AlbumBean' 

Edited by: AndreWolff on 10-Nov-2017 10:45

Edit:
The only way I get a folder image of the dimensions I specified is by inserting two extra lines of code in your example code:
if (themeDim != null && theme != null) {
	themeDim.width=maxImageWidth;
	themeDim.height=maxImageHeight/3;

But the cropping is still not OK, compare the enclosed screenshot FolderPanel.PNG with the generated theme image folderimage.jpg

Edited by: AndreWolff on 10-Nov-2017 13:01
AndreWolff

Posted: 10-Nov-2017 09:50   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
AndreWolff wrote:
Thanks, but your original code is not working at my place, with version 14.2b10 I get error:
Typed variable declaration : Error in method invocation: Method getThemeImageDim() not found in class'se.datadosen.jalbum.AlbumBean' 
But I can't find a description of function setThemeDim() or SkinProperty "themeImageSizeName".

See http://jalbum.net/api

That gives no description of setThemeDim
davidekholm

Posted: 10-Nov-2017 18:06   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:

Not really. Hate to be a pest about something so minor, but these two comboboxes look different from every other one in the application. They're OK in Darcula, but not in the default L&F for Windows or Mac.

Well, almost every one - found another one that looks different, under Advanced > General (screenshot from Windows default L&F).

It's nothing I've ordered explicitly. These comboboxes apparently end up looking a bit different as I'm using a special formatter+validator class that ensures that the user always enter a valid dimension into them.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums