This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 7 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 24-Oct-2017 17:27 Last Post By: hspagnolo Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
hspagnolo

uploading only changes
Posted: 23-Oct-2017 18:31

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hello,

I am using the last version of JAlbum and the last version of Turtle, I have added 2 pictures into an existing folder (twice, 2 pictures into 2 different folders) and added a new folder with more than 200 pictures, however when uploading changes, the upload is uploading everything again (more than 500 Mb)? Why?

Thanks and regards
Henri
hanso

Re: uploading only changes
Posted: 24-Oct-2017 07:52   in response to: hspagnolo in response to: hspagnolo

I use Filezilla to upload albums. This allows to upload only modified/different date files.
jGromit

Posted: 24-Oct-2017 08:27   in response to: hspagnolo in response to: hspagnolo

First, are you sure it's actually uploading everything again? When the upload starts, jAlbum doesn't know whether it needs to upload the whole album, or just parts of it. All it knows is that the album is 500MB, so it will say that it's going to upload 500MB. But once it connects to the server and starts doing the upload, it then figures out that it doesn't actually need to upload everything. It may end up uploading only a small portion of that.

It might need to upload the entire album if you've done anything that causes the images to be regenerated. Clicking Make All, for example, does exactly that - it produces new versions of every image file. Since those are "new" files, even if they're the same as the existing versions, everything will be uploaded again. Changing image bounds will do the same thing.

A major change in the underlying version of Java can also cause this - if I remember correctly, the move from Java 6 to Java 7 resulted in all new image files being created. Thankfully, it happens only once.
jGromit

Posted: 24-Oct-2017 08:30   in response to: hanso in response to: hanso

hanso wrote:
I use Filezilla to upload albums. This allows to upload only modified/different date files.

I often use FileZilla as well. But the jAlbum uploading module does the same thing - it uploads only new or modified files. And because it uses a manifest file, it can be faster than FileZilla. If you're uploading to jalbum.net, the jAlbum uploader uses zipstreaming, which will be faster than FileZilla, which knows nothing about that ability.
hspagnolo

Posted: 24-Oct-2017 10:03   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Hello,

I have done nothing special except adding 4 pictures into 2 existing folders and adding a new folder with 200 pictures. The upload takes 2 hours.

I have then changed a text and upload again (and this twice) and upload was only 7 minutes.

I will see next time i add a new folder if it does the same or not.

Thanks and regards
davidekholm

Posted: 24-Oct-2017 15:33   in response to: hspagnolo in response to: hspagnolo

Make sure you've saved your project settings when making the album. A common mistake is to save the settings, then make a change to the image bounds and make and upload that album. When you later reopen that album project, it reverts to the last saved image sizes so the subsequent album build re-generates the images.
RobM

Posted: 24-Oct-2017 15:58   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
Make sure you've saved your project settings when making the album. A common mistake is to save the settings, then make a change to the image bounds and make and upload that album. When you later reopen that album project, it reverts to the last saved image sizes so the subsequent album build re-generates the images.
Further to the above, you can set jAlbum to always save the settings after doing a ‘Make’ operation, see Preferences>Save project on Make Album
hspagnolo

Posted: 24-Oct-2017 17:27   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Hello,

Thanks.

I have done as usual, this mean after loading new pictures, adding some keywords and comments, then save the project, then adding again some keywords and labels and save, etc...

As already mentioned, next new folder added I will see if it happened again.

Thanks and regards
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums