Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

Permlink Replies: 81 - Pages: 6 [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] - Last Post: 28-Oct-2017 14:37 Last Post By: jGromit Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
AnCa

Re: Photo Spheres for jAlbum 14.2
Posted: 24-Oct-2017 14:45   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
Anders, for testing purposes, how about posting a nice, clean equirectangular image. I've got a few, but I don't own the copyright to them, so I'm reluctant to put them up here for the unwashed masses. ;)

Here I now got some 360° images taken by me that you can use for test purposes:

The images are part of this album if you want to see the end result in Tiger.
jGromit

Posted: 24-Oct-2017 14:56   in response to: AnCa in response to: AnCa
AnCa wrote:
...guys.jpg....

More of the awful truth revealed. You guys are spending all your time lounging around in sunny waterside cafes. ;)
AnCa

Posted: 24-Oct-2017 14:57   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
AndreWolff wrote:
RobM wrote:
Your skin relies on first using a third party software to process the image and create a 360 degree experience. With jAlbum's new feature you just need to stitch images together, no other processing is required. So your skin does 'not already do this'.
Well even with jAlbum, you still need third party software to stitch the images.
Usually no. A 360° camera stitches the image in the camera, or in the app controlling the camera, so now you just copy the image from the camera to jAlbum.
AndreWolff

Posted: 24-Oct-2017 14:57   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
I'm working on a new representing folder thumbnail and theme image selector now.
Great! When can we test it?
It is a pity that you implement mainly requests of your paid employees, Anca because he needs software for his new toy and Laza because he is your top skin developer. The last point is of course logical and I understand that, but developers working free of charge for you, do have to ask new features via the Features requests thread and I don’t think you take that thread seriously if you plan new versions.

What can I say? I wish I could clone myself.

Sorry I don’t understand this reply!
AnCa

Posted: 24-Oct-2017 14:58   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
AnCa wrote:
...guys.jpg....

More of the awful truth revealed. You guys are spending all your time lounging around in sunny waterside cafes. ;)

Then you should see the photos I didn't submit. :)
AndreWolff

Posted: 24-Oct-2017 15:06   in response to: AnCa in response to: AnCa
AnCa wrote:
AndreWolff wrote:
Usually no. A 360° camera stitches the image in the camera, or in the app controlling the camera, so now you just copy the image from the camera to jAlbum.
Yes I do believe you, but most people use normal camera’s to make panorama pictures.
AnCa

Posted: 24-Oct-2017 15:08   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
AndreWolff wrote:
AnCa wrote:
AndreWolff wrote:
Yes I do believe you, but most people use normal camera’s to make panorama pictures.
These aren't panorama pictures. These are full 360° spheres, which is very difficult to take using a normal camera.
RobM

Posted: 24-Oct-2017 15:27   in response to: AnCa in response to: AnCa
AnCa wrote:
Here I now got some 360° images taken by me that you can use for test purposes:
Interesting experience on iOS, you can pan left/right but for up/down you have to tilt the iPad/phone.
AndreWolff

Posted: 24-Oct-2017 16:20   in response to: AnCa in response to: AnCa
AnCa wrote:
These aren't panorama pictures. These are full 360° spheres, which is very difficult to take using a normal camera.
Wel that is not so difficult: I just made a quick test panorama of 50 images with my normal camera, just by hand without tripod.
Next I did the stiching in Panorama Studio 3, made the Viewer in Panorama Studio 3 and finally made a Slide Show 4 album. You can see the result in this test album.

Click on the third thumbnail to see the result. On an iPad it is intersting to click the giro icon.
RobM

Posted: 24-Oct-2017 16:31   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
AndreWolff wrote:
AnCa wrote:
Wel that is not so difficult: I just made a quick test panorama of 50 images with my normal camera, just by hand without tripod.
Next I did the stiching in Panorama Studio 3, made the Viewer in Panorama Studio 3 and finally made a Slide Show 4 album. You can see the result in this test album.

Click on the third thumbnail to see the result. On an iPad it is intersting to click the giro icon.

There are several obvious stitching problems in the result, even with 50 images which seems overkill.
AndreWolff

Posted: 24-Oct-2017 16:39   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM wrote:
There are several obvious stitching problems in the result, even with 50 images which seems overkill.
I know, but most programs create only single row panoramas, but this is a multi row stitching programma required for fulltime 360 degrees spherical panoramas.
jGromit

Posted: 24-Oct-2017 16:39   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM wrote:
There are several obvious stitching problems in the result....

Stitching problems always remind me of some Google street view images, that often make buildings look like earthquake victims. (And I'm still pissed off that they've never come down my street. Yeah, it's the boondocks, but still....)
RobM

Posted: 24-Oct-2017 16:48   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
RobM wrote:
There are several obvious stitching problems in the result....

Stitching problems always remind me of some Google street view images, that often make buildings look like earthquake victims. (And I'm still pissed off that they've never come down my street. Yeah, it's the boondocks, but still....)

Yes, stitching problems abound, especially if there are moving objects within the field of view - even fast moving clouds can become an issue if using a standard camera and lens.

With this being aimed directly at 360 degree cameras though all of the stitching issues are gone. For anyone not using such a camera the only reasonable chance of getting good images is a fisheye lens, or maybe a 10mm to 20mm lens.

As for Google Street view, I was peeved they came round the back of my house - up a single lane access track - and took pictures of my back garden without my permission. How can I get a royalty payment? ;)
jGromit

Posted: 24-Oct-2017 17:00   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM wrote:
With this being aimed directly at 360 degree cameras....

Yes, this fact is getting lost in some of the previous discussion. It's wildly difficult to produce "photo spheres," better known as equirectangular panoramas, with a DSLR, even with a 180° fisheye lens (lots of tricky stitching required).

This new capability is not intended to do anything with more common horizontal panos. It's intended solely for 2:1 equirectangulars.
jGromit

Posted: 24-Oct-2017 17:06   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM wrote:
As for Google Street view, I was peeved they came round the back of my house - up a single lane access track - and took pictures of my back garden without my permission. How can I get a royalty payment? ;)

You can request that they blur the image of your house and garden, though I haven't found an easy URL to make such a request. I'm sure they'd rather not deal with it. ;)
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums