Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

Permlink Replies: 81 - Pages: 6 [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] - Last Post: 28-Oct-2017 14:37 Last Post By: jGromit Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
wolf-skate

Re: Photo Spheres for jAlbum 14.2
Posted: 23-Oct-2017 21:55   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
David Ekholm wrote:
Sorry to hear you so frustrated guys :-(. As you figured we can't just polish existing stuff. We also need to bring in something new to attract new users..............

well from a more plain user perspective .. Yes your introduction of Video support was/is a + .. integrated browser well nice, but not real needed .. what I could use and suggested previously = support fro sound clips on still images.. so here 're-suggested'!

/wolf_skate
jGromit

Posted: 23-Oct-2017 22:05   in response to: AnCa in response to: AnCa
Anders, for testing purposes, how about posting a nice, clean equirectangular image. I've got a few, but I don't own the copyright to them, so I'm reluctant to put them up here for the unwashed masses. ;)
jGromit

Posted: 23-Oct-2017 22:36   in response to: wolf-skate in response to: wolf-skate
wolf-skate wrote:
... what I could use and suggested previously = support fro sound clips on still images...

Already possible, though it requires a little fiddling around:

http://jgromit.jalbum.net/soundClips/
RobM

Posted: 23-Oct-2017 23:15   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
AndreWolff wrote:
RobM wrote:
So how does a user get the same effect as in Tiger when using SS4 and a simple jpeg image?
Click the 2nd thumbnail in this album.
If you give a link to your Tiger album, I can compare the 2 results.
You have missed my point. Your skin does not take an image like the Photosphere Indonesia example - a single image - and present it as a 360 degree navigable image. Your skin relies on first using a third party software to process the image and create a 360 degree experience. With jAlbum's new feature you just need to stitch images together, no other processing is required. So your skin does 'not already do this'.
jimberry

Posted: 24-Oct-2017 01:31   in response to: AnCa in response to: AnCa
AnCa wrote:
With a 360-camera it's just as easy to create a 360 image as a plain flat image with another camera. It's way easier than producing a nice looking video.

From the examples I have seen, I would rephrase that to "It's way easier to create an ordinary 360 image than producing a nice looking video" ;-)
jimberry

Posted: 24-Oct-2017 01:34   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
... ... but I've listened and made two changes now:

• Hi-res images deleted from album settings (one can still make hi-res images if one has existing albums projects with this setting. Support for this to be removed completely later)
  • jAlbum now creates the lifeboat.zip file upon the end of each successful album build if that preferences is set (now moved from Preferences->Publishing to Preferences->Album)

Thanks for that, David - that was quick!!!!!
Two down, twenty-one to go ;-)
AnCa

Posted: 24-Oct-2017 01:39   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry
jimberry wrote:
AnCa wrote:
With a 360-camera it's just as easy to create a 360 image as a plain flat image with another camera. It's way easier than producing a nice looking video.

From the examples I have seen, I would rephrase that to "It's way easier to create an ordinary 360 image than producing a nice looking video" ;-)

True. Good lighting can be quite tricky for a 360 image. Especially if you want the lights to be hidden.
AndreWolff

Posted: 24-Oct-2017 09:52   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM wrote:
Your skin relies on first using a third party software to process the image and create a 360 degree experience. With jAlbum's new feature you just need to stitch images together, no other processing is required. So your skin does 'not already do this'.
Well even with jAlbum, you still need third party software to stitch the images. Most stitching programs and in particular Panorama Studio 3 offer also a viewer which you can use in your album to display the image.

You did not give the link to your Tiger album, so I assume the Tiger result is poor with respect to my result.
AndreWolff

Posted: 24-Oct-2017 10:32   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
Sorry to hear you so frustrated guys :-(. As you figured we can't just polish existing stuff. We also need to bring in something new to attract new users, but I've listened and made two changes now:

• Hi-res images deleted from album settings (one can still make hi-res images if one has existing albums projects with this setting. Support for this to be removed completely later)
This is the wrong approach, it gives only extra work for skin developers because they have to remove the Downloads Hi Res images function.

Instead of removing it you should make it more flexable, see my feature request. You said I'll consider it., but there it stops.

Jalbum desperately requires two sets of slides, one for high resolution devices and one for mobile low resolution devices, see my related feature request. By making it possible to defined the resolution and quality of Hi Res images, you could use that as a second set of slides or to downlaod images of high resolution.
* jAlbum now creates the lifeboat.zip file upon the end of each successful album build if that preferences is set (now moved from Preferences->Publishing to Preferences->Album)
Personally I don’t know what the benefit is of the lifeboat file (I make regular back-ups with normal backup programs) and I think 90% of your users will not understand what that is used for. With your new proposal it eats only capacity on your server. So can I switch this off?

Why don’t you implement the first point of jGromits list? My skins desperately need an easy way to define the theme image of folder albums, like in this album. My users do need know to make an inc file to indicate which slide should be used as theme image. If your create next to the current red hearth icon used for the folder thumbnail, a 2nd icon to point to the theme image and offer in the interface a way to copy the selected image name, I can use that instead of the inc file.

It is a pity that you implement only requests of your paid employees, Anca because he needs software for his new toy and Laza because he is your top skin developer. The last point is of course logical and I understand that, but developers working free of charge for you, do have to ask new features via the Features requests thread and I don’t think you take that thread seriously if you plan new versions.
AndreWolff

Posted: 24-Oct-2017 10:58   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
wolf-skate wrote:
... what I could use and suggested previously = support fro sound clips on still images...

Already possible, though it requires a little fiddling around:

http://jgromit.jalbum.net/soundClips/

Nice, but it does not work on an iPad.
davidekholm

Posted: 24-Oct-2017 12:20   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
AndreWolff wrote:
davidekholm wrote:
It would be a pity to not be able to present such images in jAlbum albums. In reality, these cameras may only be used in certain niches, but how great isn't it to view the interior of a flat you're evaluating purchasing in such viewer for instance?
That is now already possible without special jAlbum software: click on the first thumbnail in this album!

Sure, but now it's even easier :-)
jGromit

Posted: 24-Oct-2017 13:49   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
AndreWolff wrote:
Nice, but it does not work on an iPad.

Of course not, since it's using an <audio> tag without a controls attribute, and autoplay doesn't work on most mobile devices (the odd exception is Firefox on Android, which will autoplay video and audio - I don't know how they're getting around the OS block on it, and in my opinion, they shouldn't be). Safari 11 on High Sierra also installs with autoplay disabled. So, just add controls.

But since there's certainly nothing jAlbum could do to change that, your comment adds nothing to the feature request.
jGromit

Posted: 24-Oct-2017 14:03   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
AndreWolff wrote:
Jalbum desperately requires two sets of slides, one for high resolution devices and one for mobile low resolution devices...

Just check HiDPI images, and move on. Ironically, low-resolution devices (standard desktop PC's, for example) typically have access to greater bandwidth, so the large images aren't a penalty, while the high-resolution devices (phones, iPad's) are often constrained by cell system bandwidth limitations.

Personally I don’t know what the benefit is of the lifeboat file (I make regular back-ups with normal backup programs) and I think 90% of your users will not understand what that is used for.

Most users don't back up their stuff, and we routinely get questions in here like, "My hard drive crashed. How can I recover the project settings and comments from a published album?" And I've routinely managed to help people by simply grabbing the lifeboat file from their site and unzipping the sucker, instead of pestering them with "attach this file" and "attach that file." It's a cheap insurance policy.

With your new proposal it eats only capacity on your server.

The file doesn't zip up the image files, so it's usually less than the size of a typical slide image. If that causes capacity issues, you need to find a new web host. My home page is a 600MB album with 6000 files, and the lifeboat file is less than 350KB. That's a K.

So can I switch this off?

So you didn't even read David's post? The choice has always been there - it's just been moved to Tools/jAlbum (PC/Mac), Preferences, Album
jGromit

Posted: 24-Oct-2017 14:08   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
AndreWolff wrote:
Jalbum desperately requires two sets of slides, one for high resolution devices and one for mobile low resolution devices

With your new proposal it eats only capacity on your server.

Exactly. It would chew up capacity without providing any benefit. More and more mobiles have high-resolution displays. In a couple of years, they probably all will.
davidekholm

Posted: 24-Oct-2017 14:22   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
AndreWolff wrote:

* jAlbum now creates the lifeboat.zip file upon the end of each successful album build if that preferences is set (now moved from Preferences->Publishing to Preferences->Album)
Personally I don’t know what the benefit is of the lifeboat file (I make regular back-ups with normal backup programs) and I think 90% of your users will not understand what that is used for. With your new proposal it eats only capacity on your server. So can I switch this off?

Yes, it's a preference, and has always been. It basically enables users to retrieve a backup of an album project from an already published album.

Why don’t you implement the first point of...
My skins desperately need an easy way to define the theme image of folder albums, like in this album. My users do need now to make an inc file to indicate which slide should be used as theme image. If your create next to the current red hearth icon used for the folder thumbnail, a 2nd icon to point to the theme image and offer in the interface a way to copy the selected image name, I can use that instead of the inc file.

I'm working on a new representing folder thumbnail and theme image selector now.

It is a pity that you implement mainly requests of your paid employees, Anca because he needs software for his new toy and Laza because he is your top skin developer. The last point is of course logical and I understand that, but developers working free of charge for you, do have to ask new features via the Features requests thread and I don’t think you take that thread seriously if you plan new versions.

What can I say? I wish I could clone myself.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums