Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

Permlink Replies: 81 - Pages: 6 [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] - Last Post: 28-Oct-2017 14:37 Last Post By: jGromit Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
jGromit

Re: Photo Spheres for jAlbum 14.2
Posted: 23-Oct-2017 17:28   in response to: AnCa in response to: AnCa
AnCa wrote:
I recently bought a cheap 360-camera and this is why we got the idea to implement support for it.

The awful truth comes out! We're not saying it's your fault, but we're blaming you. ;)
RobM

Posted: 23-Oct-2017 17:37   in response to: AnCa in response to: AnCa
AnCa wrote:
Yes, I haven't managed to download Googles iOS app for this, (it's possibly withdrawn as someone else thought
It has been renamed, I believe to StreetView

Edited by: RobM on 23-Oct-2017 16:37
AnCa

Posted: 23-Oct-2017 17:37   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
AnCa wrote:
I recently bought a cheap 360-camera and this is why we got the idea to implement support for it.

The awful truth comes out! We're not saying it's your fault, but we're blaming you. ;)

When all the real estate agencies starts using jAlbum to create their albums of 360° images, I'd gladly take the blame. :)
davidekholm

Posted: 23-Oct-2017 17:39   in response to: AnCa in response to: AnCa
Sorry to hear you so frustrated guys :-(. As you figured we can't just polish existing stuff. We also need to bring in something new to attract new users, but I've listened and made two changes now:

• Hi-res images deleted from album settings (one can still make hi-res images if one has existing albums projects with this setting. Support for this to be removed completely later)
  • jAlbum now creates the lifeboat.zip file upon the end of each successful album build if that preferences is set (now moved from Preferences->Publishing to Preferences->Album)

(To test, get the updated beta from http://jalbum.net/download/beta/jalbum-core.jar)

Support for 360 images was rather straight forward to implement. Not at all like adding support for hi-res images, which imposes on all skins to support it. Furthermore, we only display the "PhotoSphere / 360 image" panel for images having a 2:1 aspect ratio, thereby not cluttering the user interface for those who don't have such images.

Last year we visited PhotoKina in Köln, one of the world's largest photo fairs. It was obvious that basically every camera manufacturer offered and pushed for a 360 camera. This technology was probably mostly a gimmick in its early days, but now as prices has dropped, quality increased and handling is super easy, we're likely to see more of these cameras. It would be a pity to not be able to present such images in jAlbum albums. In reality, these cameras may only be used in certain niches, but how great isn't it to view the interior of a flat you're evaluating purchasing in such viewer for instance?
RobM

Posted: 23-Oct-2017 17:40   in response to: AnCa in response to: AnCa
AnCa wrote:
jGromit wrote:
AnCa wrote:

When all the real estate agencies starts using jAlbum to create their albums of 360° images, I'd gladly take the blame. :)
Somewhat short sighted ;) What about snowboarding and wind surfing, parachuting, snorkelling etc. :)
jGromit

Posted: 23-Oct-2017 17:51   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM wrote:
Somewhat short sighted ;) What about snowboarding and wind surfing, parachuting, snorkelling etc. :)

A 360° video camera - now there's a challenge! The viewer would need to come with dramamine.
jGromit

Posted: 23-Oct-2017 17:55   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
jAlbum now creates the lifeboat.zip file upon the end of each successful album build if that preferences is set (now moved from Preferences->Publishing to Preferences->Album)

Excellent. I always figured that one was "low-hanging fruit," i.e., something easy to implement, since the method already existed. I had added that to my skins, and will now happily strip it out of them. :)
jGromit

Posted: 23-Oct-2017 18:05   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
Hi-res images deleted from album settings (one can still make hi-res images if one has existing albums projects with this setting. Support for this to be removed completely later.

Good! I'll have to play with this a bit, just to see if anything breaks. You'll probably never be able to remove support completely. As I posted in another thread:

To avoid breaking skins, hiResPath should always be void, and engine.getImageLinking() should never equal LinkHiResViaScaled.

In short, some traces will have to remain, just to avoid blowups. For example, the constant field value LINK_HI_RES_VIA_SCALED should stay in there. And calling engine.hiResDim shouldn't produce a big, nasty console dump. ;)

I'll happily strip some things out of my skins (I let the user change the hi-res bounds, for example).

Edit: It may also be necessary to preserve the hiResWidth and hiResHeight variables, in case a skin is asking for them. A skin should be checking for hiResPath or checking the image linking before calling those variables, but....
RobM

Posted: 23-Oct-2017 18:47   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
davidekholm wrote:
Hi-res images deleted from album settings (one can still make hi-res images if one has existing albums projects with this setting. Support for this to be removed completely later.

Good! I'll have to play with this a bit, just to see if anything breaks. You'll probably never be able to remove support completely.

Mrag, you have been warned, Showlite and sectional magnifying function on the slide pages will need reworking.
jGromit

Posted: 23-Oct-2017 18:59   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM wrote:
Mrag, you have been warned, Showlite and sectional magnifying function on the slide pages will need reworking.

But who's going to tell the user?
AnCa

Posted: 23-Oct-2017 19:20   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
RobM wrote:

A 360° video camera - now there's a challenge! The viewer would need to come with dramamine.

Some cameras (like mine) have gyros and accelerometers built in and since it captures the full sphere the video can be stabilized so the viewer keeps looking in one direction no matter how the camera was held or rotated. :)

Then you can do a video like this.

I want to put my camera on Davids head while he's wind surfing, but haven't got the opportunity yet. :)
AnCa

Posted: 23-Oct-2017 19:23   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM wrote:
It has been renamed, I believe to StreetView
Oh! And I already got that app installed! Played with it now, and it might work ok if the nearest object is like 5 meters away. Anything closer will have stitch lines... And taking moving objects is of course impossible.
AndreWolff

Posted: 23-Oct-2017 19:55   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
It would be a pity to not be able to present such images in jAlbum albums. In reality, these cameras may only be used in certain niches, but how great isn't it to view the interior of a flat you're evaluating purchasing in such viewer for instance?
That is now already possible without special jAlbum software: click on the first thumbnail in this album!
RobM

Posted: 23-Oct-2017 20:53   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
AndreWolff wrote:
davidekholm wrote:
It would be a pity to not be able to present such images in jAlbum albums. In reality, these cameras may only be used in certain niches, but how great isn't it to view the interior of a flat you're evaluating purchasing in such viewer for instance?
That is now already possible without special jAlbum software: click on the first thumbnail in this album!
I loaded the practice image posted here and added it to a project using Slide Show 4, In edit mode I set the image to Panoramic image and 360 degree panorama. When I make the album I do not get the same result as in Tiger, in SS4 all I get is the full sized static jpeg image. So how does a user get the same effect as in Tiger when using SS4 and a simple jpeg image?
AndreWolff

Posted: 23-Oct-2017 21:36   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM wrote:
So how does a user get the same effect as in Tiger when using SS4 and a simple jpeg image?
Click the 2nd thumbnail in this album.

Edit
If you give a link to your Tiger album, I can compare the 2 results.

Edited by: AndreWolff on 23-Oct-2017 21:42
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums