This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 1. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 3 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 20-Oct-2017 17:17 Last Post By: davidekholm Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
Yukusoona

Special characters / web-unsafe characters
Posted: 20-Oct-2017 11:34

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Dear all,

my webhost does not accept filenames with special characters like German "Umlaute" (ä, ö, ü und ß). I have tried all options in Jalbum (13.0.8, skin Turtle 5.6.3) like ISO-8859-1, UTF-8, code links for URL etc., but once uploaded my homepage does not show any imges with special characters.
Renaming all files to "websafe" characters is no option for me because it takes a lot of time and the good thing about Jalbum for me is the possibility to quickly build albums from my big database of photos, which all contain special characters as this is quite common in Germany to use them in filenames.

So why not make an option that would - while building an album - convert all unsafe characters to safe characters within the album? This would solve all problems.

Thank you very much!
davidekholm

Re: Special characters / web-unsafe characters
Posted: 20-Oct-2017 11:43   in response to: Yukusoona in response to: Yukusoona
Helpful
I haven't heard of any web host that fails to support these characters using any setting ( see this guide ), but if you want ä, ö, ü and ß to be avoided fully in the generated album files, open jAlbum Preferences, then add ä, ö, ü and ß to the "Illegal characters" list. Finally ensure that Settings->Advanced->Naming has "Generate Web safe file names" is checked. Now make the album again. All "illegal" characters should now be replaced with dashes ("-")
Yukusoona

Posted: 20-Oct-2017 12:40   in response to: Yukusoona in response to: Yukusoona

Unbelievable, but I have just found the same solution myself and wanted to happily post it here but you were faster than me... Thank you!

It's true: so far I have never experienced any problems with ä, ö, ü und ß. There must have been an update (I refer to my webhost bplaced.net) or so becuase jalbum omits all photos (irrelevant of the computer or browser I use) which contain the mentioned characters in their filenames.

I have added ä, ö, ü and ß to forbidden characters (for German users: Tools > Optionen > Album > Nicht erlaubte Zeichen > #$%&*"\/:;?=|~äüöß). And now everything works fine...

Bye!
davidekholm

Posted: 20-Oct-2017 17:17   in response to: Yukusoona in response to: Yukusoona

Good. We can dig a bit further into this if you want, but read that tutorial on character encoding issues first. It could be the case that you need to switch off "Force UTF-8" under advanced publishing settings in order for the server to correctly interpret file names containing "foreign" characters. If servers don't accept Unicode/UTF-8, they usually accept some 8 bit encoding. In most cases, these 8-bit encodings support å ä ö and ß
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums