This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 31 - Pages: 3 [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ] - Last Post: 09-Nov-2017 15:45 Last Post By: jGromit Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
davidekholm

Re: Jalbum and High Sierra on MAC
Posted: 29-Sep-2017 23:19   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Click to reply to this thread Reply
jGromit wrote:
I don't have High Sierra yet, so I haven't seen the problem (and I might not, as it seems to affect only systems whose language is set to something other than English), but that core update doesn't seem to have made any visible difference. The menu items are still not part of the application window. Or am I simply misunderstanding what should happen?

File info attached.

I only move the menu entries to jAlbum's window if you're running High Sierra.
jGromit

Posted: 29-Sep-2017 23:19   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

RobM wrote:
There can be only one! Menu that is, it would be breaking a fundamental UI rule for Mac app windows to have their own menus.

That's what I thought. But that means that I really don't understand David's post:

I've made a quick fix that moves the menu to the window no matter what look and feel you're using.
hspagnolo

Posted: 29-Sep-2017 23:40   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Hello,

Installing a previous version does not solve, however, the new ".jar" file is more useful with the menus available (in part available, the "preferences" are still not available and the shortcut CMD+, does not work).

Thanks and regards
Henri
davidekholm

Posted: 30-Sep-2017 10:34   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:
RobM wrote:
There can be only one! Menu that is, it would be breaking a fundamental UI rule for Mac app windows to have their own menus.

That's what I thought. But that means that I really don't understand David's post:

I've made a quick fix that moves the menu to the window no matter what look and feel you're using.

With the fix, the menus are moved to jAlbum's window when you're on OS X High Sierra, no matter if you're using the standard Mac or Darcula Look & Feel.
davidekholm

Posted: 30-Sep-2017 10:50   in response to: hspagnolo in response to: hspagnolo

hspagnolo wrote:
Hello,

Installing a previous version does not solve, however, the new ".jar" file is more useful with the menus available (in part available, the "preferences" are still not available and the shortcut CMD+, does not work).

Thanks and regards
Henri

Ah, now fixed. Just do a core update. Now "About" will be under Help, Preferences under Tools and Quit under File just like on Windows.
jGromit

Posted: 30-Sep-2017 13:16   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
I only move the menu entries to jAlbum's window if you're running High Sierra.

OK, understood. I'm holding off on High Sierra because I'm away from home, with no fallback if the update goes wrong. The conversion of the file system is the piece that makes me nervous. My Macbook has SSD, so it would be switched to the new scheme - inherently dangerous!
hspagnolo

Posted: 30-Sep-2017 14:26   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Hello and thanks for that ☺

Have a nice day.

Regards
Henri
RobM

Posted: 30-Sep-2017 14:35   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:
I'm holding off on High Sierra because I'm away from home, with no fallback if the update goes wrong. The conversion of the file system is the piece that makes me nervous. My Macbook has SSD, so it would be switched to the new scheme - inherently dangerous!
IPad updates to APFS seem to have gone fine and Apple has made bigger migrations before - Power PC to x86 - relatively successfully. But there is no substitute for doing a backup just before an OS upgrade.
jGromit

Posted: 30-Sep-2017 14:59   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

RobM wrote:
IPad updates to APFS seem to have gone fine and Apple has made bigger migrations before - Power PC to x86 - relatively successfully. But there is no substitute for doing a backup just before an OS upgrade.

I have nothing to which to back up anything, not that there's much on this machine that couldn't simply be downloaded and reinstalled. But if, by some fluke, the update bricked the laptop, the nearest Apple store is a solid 90 minutes away. Spending the next three weeks with nothing but a smartphone wouldn't be a disaster, but it would certainly be irritating as hell. ;)
davidekholm

Posted: 01-Oct-2017 19:08   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

This menu problem is caused by a bug Apple introduced in High Sierra. It affects a multitude of Java apps and was reported to Apple during the beta period, still Apple only fixed it for some English versions of High Sierra. I expect Apple to fix this in the next update. Put some pressure on them by reporting this problem to them too. This is not the first time Apple breaks non-Apple software during OS update. I spot an arrogance from their part...

While waiting for a fix, this workaround has been reported to work:

1) Switch the preferred OS language to English

or

2) Edit the "Info.plist" file of jAlbum according to the steps below:

In Finder Right-click on JAlbum in Applications and select Show Package Contents
Select Contents
Open Info.plist for editing
Find the line that says <key><CFBundleAllowMixedLocalizations></key> and change the line below it from <true/> to <false/>
Save the changes

Now start jAlbum, this should resolve the issue, the negative side effect meaning that things like folder dialogs used by jAlbum will show as English when they should be in the language you've set your OS to.
gcolin

Posted: 01-Oct-2017 19:38   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

thanks David
Hpix

Posted: 04-Oct-2017 19:32   in response to: gcolin in response to: gcolin

thanks 2 from Switzerland!

Peter
davidekholm

Posted: 05-Oct-2017 14:24   in response to: Hpix in response to: Hpix

You're welcome
cessna

Posted: 07-Oct-2017 15:10   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

I had the same problem in Mac Os HighSierra! But i helped with editing the info.plist.

Edited by: cessna on 07-Oct-2017 15:14

Edited by: cessna on 07-Oct-2017 15:15
davidekholm

Posted: 11-Oct-2017 14:26   in response to: cessna in response to: cessna

Apple has reported that they're working on a fix for this issue.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums