This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 6 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 10-Nov-2017 18:01 Last Post By: davidekholm Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
ctwist

Stylus support
Posted: 16-Sep-2017 05:14

Click to reply to this thread Reply
When I am travelling, I use a tablet that has no mouse or keyboard, so I use a stylus. In the jAlbum explore window, I would like to drag the stylus to scroll vertically, but this does not work. The scrollbar does not work very well because the fat stylus keeps missing the skinny scrollbar.

Can dragging be enabled?

There may be other places where stylus support would be useful; I haven't thought any further than the explore window.
davidekholm

Re: Stylus support
Posted: 16-Sep-2017 12:36   in response to: ctwist in response to: ctwist

ctwist wrote:
When I am travelling, I use a tablet that has no mouse or keyboard, so I use a stylus. In the jAlbum explore window, I would like to drag the stylus to scroll vertically, but this does not work. The scrollbar does not work very well because the fat stylus keeps missing the skinny scrollbar.

Can dragging be enabled?

There may be other places where stylus support would be useful; I haven't thought any further than the explore window.

Don't think so, see if it's implemented in JavaFX by opening the "File->Import->"from Database file" window, then drop a .csv or .xml file onto that window to populate the table there. Now see if you can scroll using the stylus.
ctwist

Posted: 16-Sep-2017 19:58   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

I imported a csv file. In the "Map fields to XMP properties" panel, I was able to scroll by dragging the stylus.
davidekholm

Posted: 18-Sep-2017 16:46   in response to: ctwist in response to: ctwist

Good to hear when/if we make the move to rewrite jAlbum's UI in JavaFX. That's a pretty huge task though so I can't promise a date. I'd like to go the JavaFX route, but I'm worried that Oracle doesn't put enough commitment behind it. Will JavaFX become abandonware soon like Swing?
ctwist

Posted: 18-Sep-2017 16:56   in response to: ctwist in response to: ctwist

1)
I have done some more experimenting with this, and I have realized that dragging in the explore window does cause scrolling, but this is only effective in a very small part of the window. I think it takes effect in the very thin gaps between thumbnails (not including the thumbnail padding). It is impossible to trigger this consistently.

These are the touch events that currently work for thumbnails:
  • Tap and release: Highlight the thumbnail and show the "More" menu item
  • Tap and hold: Highlight the thumbnail and mark it with a rectangular overlay
  • Tap hold and release: Highlight the thumbnail and open the "More" menu
  • Tap hold and drag: Move the thumbnail to a different location
  • Drag: Move the thumbnail to a different location
  • Double tap: Same as tap, but it locks jAlbum. To free it up, minimise jAlbum and then maximise it.
  • Swipe: Nothing

What I would like to change for thumbnails:
  • Ignore "Drag". This event would then bubble up to the parent. This would enable vertical scrolling on the entire window.
  • Double tap should not lock the screen. Ideally it should trigger "open".

2)
After these problems are fixed, we could add swiping to simplify navigation, but let's leave that for a future discussion.
ctwist

Posted: 18-Sep-2017 17:28   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

I have done a bit of reading about this. Touch events automatically emulate mouse events, so we only need to fix the instances where the emulation makes the wrong decision. Maybe it is not a huge task.

Edited by: ctwist on 18-Sep-2017 11:29
I mean customising touch events may not be a big task. Obviously switching to JavaFX is a huge task.
davidekholm

Posted: 10-Nov-2017 18:01   in response to: ctwist in response to: ctwist

I can only receive touch events if I use JavaFX :-(
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums