This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 118 - Pages: 8 [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] - Last Post: 28-Oct-2017 19:07 Last Post By: AndreWolff Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
karlmistelberger

Re: Jalbum 14.1.10 for Windows 10 extracts the wrong GPS value from a picture.
Posted: 12-Sep-2017 15:50   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Click to reply to this thread Reply
davidekholm wrote:
Thanks for reporting. It turns out that jAlbum's xmp parser didn't understand the deg,min,sec format used. It expected all xmp GPS coordinates to be in deg,min format. I've now fixed this. Please do a core update and see.

Got some improvement:
  • exif: 53 deg 0' 37.49" N, 4 deg 42' 38.63" E
  • xmp: exif:GPSLatitude="53,0,37N" exif:GPSLongitude="4,42,38E"
jAlbum 14.1.13 still truncates the floating point arc seconds to integer, which amounts to an error of up to some 30 meters.
davidekholm

Posted: 12-Sep-2017 16:01   in response to: karlmistelberger in response to: karlmistelberger

karlmistelberger wrote:
davidekholm wrote:
Thanks for reporting. It turns out that jAlbum's xmp parser didn't understand the deg,min,sec format used. It expected all xmp GPS coordinates to be in deg,min format. I've now fixed this. Please do a core update and see.

Got some improvement:

jAlbum 14.1.13 still truncates the floating point arc seconds to integer, which amounts to an error of up to some 30 meters.

What do you mean? The only truncation I'm doing is to truncate the lat+long coordinates of the gpsLocation variable to 6 decimal points. That's surely within a meter.
jGromit

Posted: 12-Sep-2017 16:02   in response to: karlmistelberger in response to: karlmistelberger

karlmistelberger wrote:

That's not jAlbum. Take a look at the actual xmp GPS coordinates in André's image - the arc seconds are integers. The EXIF GPS coordinates are more precise. So, whatever application wrote out those xmp coordinates did the rounding, before the image ever got to jAlbum. jAlbum doesn't take the EXIF GPS and write xmp GPS to the image file.
jGromit

Posted: 12-Sep-2017 16:05   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
Ah, code in two locations. Never a good idea. Now fixed. Do another core update.

That's better. :)

You should try using the same code in three different skins. You make a fix in one skin, do the same fix in the second skin, get distracted, and think that all three have been repaired. Oy.
karlmistelberger

Posted: 12-Sep-2017 16:21   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
karlmistelberger wrote:
davidekholm wrote:

Got some improvement:

What do you mean? The only truncation I'm doing is to truncate the lat+long coordinates of the gpsLocation variable to 6 decimal points. That's surely within a meter.

I checked the jellyfish:
karl@hofkirchen:~> exiftool -exif:GPSLatitude /home/Albums/testjAlbum/2011\ 09\ 29_0326.jpg 
GPS Latitude                    : 53 deg 0' 37.49"
karl@hofkirchen:~> exiftool -xmp:GPSLatitude /home/Albums/testjAlbum/2011\ 09\ 29_0326.jpg 
GPS Latitude                    : 53 deg 0' 37.00" N
karl@hofkirchen:~> 

Checking one of my own images:
karl@hofkirchen:~> exiftool -xmp:GPSLatitude /home/Albums/NeueBilder/2017-07-21/p1150932.jpg 
GPS Latitude                    : 49 deg 28' 25.70" N
karl@hofkirchen:~> exiftool -exif:GPSLatitude /home/Albums/NeueBilder/2017-07-21/p1150932.jpg 
GPS Latitude                    : 49 deg 28' 25.70"
karl@hofkirchen:~> 

So actually the truncation occurred already with jellyfish However the album slide still shows the wrong position: http://karlmistelberger.jalbum.net/testjAlbum/#img=2011%2009%2029_0326.jpg Click "Straßenkarte" to display the map.
jGromit

Posted: 12-Sep-2017 16:29   in response to: karlmistelberger in response to: karlmistelberger

Attachment ss003239.png (1,4 MB)
karlmistelberger wrote:
However the album slide still shows the wrong position....

Update the core again, and remake the album. Screenshot of map from Gromit skin, with only the xmp GPS coordinates available (as a test I deleted the EXIF ones completely), attached.
karlmistelberger

Posted: 12-Sep-2017 16:36   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:
karlmistelberger wrote:
However the album slide still shows the wrong position....

Update the core again, and remake the album. Screenshot of map from Gromit skin, with only the xmp GPS coordinates available (as a test I deleted the EXIF ones completely), attached.

The position has changed to the shore: http://karlmistelberger.jalbum.net/testjAlbum/#img=2011%2009%2029_0326.jpg

Which data does jAlbum use if exif and xmp differ?
jGromit

Posted: 12-Sep-2017 16:38   in response to: karlmistelberger in response to: karlmistelberger

karlmistelberger wrote:
Which data does jAlbum use if exif and xmp differ?

The xmp always takes priority over EXIF. jAlbum doesn't compare them - it just uses the first GPS coordinates it finds.
AndreWolff

Posted: 12-Sep-2017 17:22   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
Yes that works now correctly, thanks for the update.

What about the other location problems: geotagging that does not work, crash if you click the fullscreen button and user interface problems reported here?
jGromit

Posted: 12-Sep-2017 18:21   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:
The xmp always takes priority over EXIF. jAlbum doesn't compare them - it just uses the first GPS coordinates it finds.

This, BTW, allows for an interesting possibility. You've taken a picture of the Eiffel Tower from a mile away. The EXIF GPS written by your camera records the location where you were standing. But you can then go in and enter your own coordinates, in the Location window, for the tower itself, which gets written to the xmp GPS. Now your map marker will be on the tower, which is probably what you want.
AndreWolff

Re: jAlbum extracts the wrong GPS value and geotagging is not working
Posted: 12-Sep-2017 18:48   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:
This, BTW, allows for an interesting possibility. You've taken a picture of the Eiffel Tower from a mile away. The EXIF GPS written by your camera records the location where you were standing. But you can then go in and enter your own coordinates, in the Location window, for the tower itself, which gets written to the xmp GPS. Now your map marker will be on the tower, which is probably what you want.
It could be even more interesting if you could next find the photographer position by clearing the xmp check-mark and if you check that check-mark again you see the Eifel tower position again!
davidekholm

Posted: 12-Sep-2017 22:12   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

AndreWolff wrote:
jGromit wrote:
It could be even more interesting if you could next find the photographer position by clearing the xmp check-mark and if you check that check-mark again you see the Eifel tower position again!

I agree there is a good point in being able to reset the position to the read-only camera location (exif based). I've now implemented support for this. It requires you to both do a core update and to replace ext/Location.editor.jaext with the attached file, then restart jAlbum.

When editing locations for images that have a read-only camera location (exif based), the button to the right of the location is now a "Reset" button. When editing images lacking a read-only exif based camera location, the button is a "Delete" button as before.

Edited by: davidekholm on 13-Sep-2017 10:01
Fixed reset button so it's disabled if xmp location equals exif location

jGromit

Posted: 12-Sep-2017 22:45   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

For clarity, I think the tooltip for the "reset" icon will need to be very clear. If there is only EXIF, or if the xmp already equals the EXIF, the reset button doesn't seem to do anything at all, as far as the user can tell. It's actually setting the xmp equal to the EXIF, but there's no feedback about that.

Maybe the actual tooltip text will need to read something like, "Set xmp GPS equal to EXIF GPS." That would probably remove any ambiguity.

Let's see what others think.

It certainly gets rid of the suggestion that you can delete the EXIF coordinates - that's a good thing, since that was misleading (and we probably don't want to venture into altering EXIF content - that's a minefield).

It also makes it possible to tinker with some alternate GPS (like choosing the Eiffel Tower), but then change your mind and go back to the "real" GPS.
AndreWolff

Posted: 12-Sep-2017 23:41   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
When editing locations for images that have a read-only camera location (exif based), the button to the right of the location is now a "Reset" button. When editing images lacking a read-only exif based camera location, the button is a "Delete" button as before.
Well David, I see only one improvement: the edit box is not empty if the image contains an Exif data block with gps information.
But if I move the marker, I see that the contents of the text box changes, but the reset icon does not change, so I can’t see whether the marker position comes from the EXIF block or whether it is a modified location, which should be stored in the xmp block. Why don't you use two colors: gray for an EXIF location and black or red for a location in the xmp block?
And after 1 moved the marker and make the album, the new position is not showed in the album.
Look at the attached screenshots:
The first screenshot show the initial state: nothing changed in the location window, make album and you see that the album position corresponds with the position showed in the location window.
Next I moved the marker and made the album again. Now you see in screenshot 2 that the album shows still the old position which is not equal to the position showed in the location window.
Next I closed jAlbum and restarted it again and in screenshot 3 you see that the new position is not saved. So geotagging is not working.

I tested this too with an image without EXIF gps information. Then I see indeed a thrash can instead of a reset button, but if I set the marker somewhere in the location window, the new position is not saved; after a restart the location text-box is again empty.

Edited by: AndreWolff on 12-Sep-2017 23:48
jGromit

Posted: 13-Sep-2017 00:12   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

Are you sure you did both the core update and the replacement of the LocationEditor external script?

Everything works just fine when I try it. I move a marker and make the album again, and the map marker changes.

And make sure you're not using a skin that's hard-coded to use the EXIF coordinates, since none of this changes those coordinates. It affects only the xmp coordinates.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums