This question is answered.

Permlink Replies: 12 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 11-Sep-2017 17:42 Last Post By: schnief
schnief

Problem with update 5.6.2
Posted: 04-Sep-2017 15:24

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hi from Berlin,

I've been using jalbum and Turtle with no problem for years on Win 7 Pro x64. However, today I tried to install the latest Turtle update, and it didn't work.

I used both the "standard" method (within jalbum), and then I tried unzipping it into the skins folder in my roaming folder (rather than the skins folder in the jalbum install folder, where others are located).

This is the error message I got:

An unexpected error occurred. Please see detailed description below:

java.lang.RuntimeException: bsh.ParseException: Parse error at line 59, column 93. Encountered: Trebuchet
at se.datadosen.jalbum.AlbumBean.smartLoadClass(AlbumBean.java:4284)
at se.datadosen.jalbum.AlbumBean.setDataTypes(AlbumBean.java:4307)
at se.datadosen.jalbum.AlbumBean.setSkinVariables(AlbumBean.java:4234)
at se.datadosen.jalbum.JAlbumFrame.doLoadProject(JAlbumFrame.java:1539)
at se.datadosen.jalbum.JAlbumFrame.newProject(JAlbumFrame.java:1240)
at se.datadosen.jalbum.JAlbumFrame.<init>(JAlbumFrame.java:221)
at se.datadosen.jalbum.JAlbum.<init>(JAlbum.java:117)
at se.datadosen.jalbum.JAlbum.main(JAlbum.java:304)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
at se.datadosen.jalbum.Main.main(Main.java:38)
Caused by: bsh.ParseException: Parse error at line 59, column 93. Encountered: Trebuchet
at bsh.Parser.generateParseException(Parser.java:5973)
at bsh.Parser.jj_consume_token(Parser.java:5925)
at bsh.Parser.BlockStatement(Parser.java:2810)
at bsh.Parser.Block(Parser.java:2776)
at bsh.Parser.ClassDeclaration(Parser.java:334)
at bsh.Parser.BlockStatement(Parser.java:2803)
at bsh.Parser.Line(Parser.java:200)
at bsh.Interpreter.Line(Interpreter.java:1022)
at bsh.Interpreter.eval(Interpreter.java:659)
at bsh.Interpreter.eval(Interpreter.java:747)
at se.datadosen.jalbum.AlbumBean.smartLoadClass(AlbumBean.java:4277)
... 12 more

Sorry, but I don't know what the "12 more" are.

Using the jalbum Update notification to install, first it looked like the skin was installing OK, but as soon as the installation was done, the error message appeared, and Turtle was completely gone from my list of skins.

Of course I had jalbum closed when I tried the "manual" install, but the same error message appeared when I opened it.

By the way, I've tried it on two Win 7 Pro x64 machines; the result was the same on both.

Any idea what the problem is?

If you need any more info, please let me know.

Thank you very much.

Best regards,
JoeG
jGromit

Re: Problem with update 5.6.2
Posted: 04-Sep-2017 16:22   in response to: schnief in response to: schnief

What version of jAlbum are you running?
schnief

Posted: 04-Sep-2017 16:27   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Thank you for your reply.

I'm running 11.6.17, and I've done the "jAlbum core update".
jGromit

Posted: 04-Sep-2017 16:35   in response to: schnief in response to: schnief

I don't have a good way of testing it, but I suspect that the newest version of Turtle, despite its internal labeling, won't run on a version of jAlbum that old.

Try reinstalling Turtle 5.6.1. On the skin page - https://jalbum.net/skins/skin/Turtle - hit the Show all button on the right, then grab 5.6.1. If that works properly, that would confirm my theory.
schnief

Posted: 04-Sep-2017 17:59   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Yes, 5.6.1 has worked fine since the day it came out.

I always save a backup of my folders before updating anything, so I merely installed my backup.

Version 5.6.2 certainly doesn't work with 11.6.17 on my machines for one reason or another. Laca is an expert in the jAlbum environment, though, and my guess is that he'll find a solution if there is one.

I'd contend that when he says the "Min. jAlbum version" is 11.6.17, he expected it to work. Unless, of course, he merely forgot to change the entry on the website. That's fine, too.

As for my version being old, the reason I've stuck with it is that, frankly, I only use jAlbum once or twice a year. The version I have, and Turtle version 5.6.1, meet all of my "creative" and "technical" needs.

When I see a Turtle update that (in this case "allegedly") works with my version, I basically click the update button out of habit rather than need.

In any case, as always, thank you very much for taking the time to reply to my call for help.
jGromit

Posted: 04-Sep-2017 18:13   in response to: schnief in response to: schnief

schnief wrote:
I'd contend that when he says the "Min. jAlbum version" is 11.6.17, he expected it to work. Unless, of course, he merely forgot to change the entry on the website.

It's also buried in the skin properties file - that's what triggers a warning if you load a skin with a version of jAlbum that doesn't support it.

This wouldn't be the first time that a skin developer has unwittingly used some new feature in jAlbum, forgetting that the skin would blow up in an earlier version. I think we've all done it at one time or another. I sometimes code things to a beta version of jAlbum, and have to remember that I can't release the update until jAlbum catches up. Tough to test, too, especially in Windows, which does not like having multiple versions of an application floating around.

Once Tiger stabilizes a bit, you might find that it's enough of an improvement to warrant a license update (it really does require jAlbum 14). The page responsiveness might be worth the price of admission.
schnief

Posted: 04-Sep-2017 18:31   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Again, thanks for your reply.

I see Laca has written Tiger as a replacement for Turtle, so maybe he won't want to invest the time investigating "my" problem.

Anyway, as I've said, considering my limited requirements, I'd say that at my age (70), about the only thing that would justify an update is if it includes a component to make me 30 or so years younger :-).
Laza

Posted: 11-Sep-2017 12:44   in response to: schnief in response to: schnief

I guess this error happened because Tiger skin has changed some settings, and when you get back to Turtle it triggers this error. However Turtle 5.6.2 alone supposed to work with 11.6.17 (18). You can look for the jalbum-settings.jap in the album's folder and remove the line with "Trebuchet", or the text right to the equation sign in a simple text editor.
jGromit

Posted: 11-Sep-2017 13:00   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

I guess the notion of a "family" of skins still needs work, especially if some members of the "family" require different versions of jAlbum, or leave settings behind that produce serious errors.
Laza

Posted: 11-Sep-2017 17:25   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Yep, I agree, but now I tried, and could not reproduce the error when switching back. Turtle properly fell back to its defaults when something was in conflict. It would be great to see the jalbum-settings.jap of the album in question - perhaps that could help.
schnief

Posted: 11-Sep-2017 17:32   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

Hi and thanks for your (and jgromit's) replies.

The problem occurs when I open the jAlbum program and not when I try to open an album.

I've just discovered something, though, which I'll try to show you with a little video clip. Please give me a few minutes, and I'll make another posting.
Laza

Posted: 11-Sep-2017 17:32   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
Correct
Uh, I see now, it seems I run the SkinModel creator tool which has left a "plugins" folder. And unfortunately this tool has left an error in the java file. All you need is to remove the "plugins" folder from the skin. I will fix this soon.
schnief

Posted: 11-Sep-2017 17:42   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

Thanks very much Laza. Yes, that did it!!!!
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums