This question is answered.

Permlink Replies: 32 - Pages: 3 [ 1 2 3 | Next ] - Last Post: 29-Aug-2017 23:10 Last Post By: andomare
andomare

Tiger: very slow scrolling with many images
Posted: 25-Aug-2017 11:01

Click to reply to this thread Reply
In the past I used Turtle for photo-albums of events with 200-600 pictures.
Now I gave Tiger a try.
When I uploaded it to my server I first thought that my provider has a speed-problem but then iI recognized that the local version from my ssd is nearly equal slow. :-(
Can you confirm that this is currently a problem of the skin?

Example: http://andomar.de/x/maike-thorsten/

At this point I must get rid of a big praise: the Tiger skin is really great work (which takes its time... ;-) ! And the fast, continual troubleshooting in new versions also!
Laza

Re: Tiger: very slow scrolling with many images
Posted: 25-Aug-2017 13:45   in response to: andomare in response to: andomare

Do you see the same slowness on my page too?
http://www.lazaworx.com/albums/Travel/2005/Thailand%2C%20Laos%2C%20Cambodia/index.html
(It's plain shared hosting, so not supposed to be too quick.)
Laza

Posted: 25-Aug-2017 13:49   in response to: andomare in response to: andomare

Anyway, the thumbnail loading speed is determined by the connection speed and the server speed in 95%. The code runs much quicker than any communication between a PC and the server.
jGromit

Posted: 25-Aug-2017 13:58   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza
Correct
I'm seeing very slow thumbnail image loading, both on the poster's site and on yours. I've got a solid 66mpbs connection. If I scroll down, I'm often staring at a dozen gray boxes for a few seconds.

I think that "lazy loading" is one of those things that sounds better than it ever works. I've seen it used on more and more sites, and it's usually less usable than a simple "start at the top of the page and load all the images" site.
andomare

Posted: 25-Aug-2017 14:19   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

Your page is not as slow as mine (but also not very quick). Yours is (feeling) much faster because there are much less images on the same space because they are taller.
Yours: 5 rows with 5 images = 25
Mine: 8 rows with 5 images = 40
(Fullscreen on 2560x1440)
jGromit

Posted: 25-Aug-2017 14:37   in response to: andomare in response to: andomare

Some of it, of course, has to do with where we are in relation to the server (I'm on the East Coast of the U.S.). But on Laza's demo album, for example, if I scroll down beyond the thumbnails that are already showing, I don't get all of the thumbnails for a full 4 seconds.

Oddly, it doesn't get any faster even if the images are already in the browser cache, which I really don't understand.
Laza

Posted: 25-Aug-2017 15:01   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
Helpful
Okay, I'll investigate this, and try to optimize. Loading all the thumbnails is bit of overkill in my opinion, but sure there must not be lags as you scroll.
Laza

Posted: 25-Aug-2017 15:39   in response to: andomare in response to: andomare

Check out now e.g. http://www.lazaworx.com/albums/Travel/2016/Thailand/index.html (you might need to refresh with Ctrl-F5)

Now I made the skin to load not only the visible page but also up and down one screen. Also I've removed the lag (of 100ms) which was introduced to avoid calling the lazy load function multiple times in short time. Now the skin is using a different technique to avoid this.
karlmistelberger

Posted: 25-Aug-2017 15:57   in response to: andomare in response to: andomare

andomare wrote:
In the past I used Turtle for photo-albums of events with 200-600 pictures. Now I gave Tiger a try. When I uploaded it to my server I first thought that my provider has a speed-problem but then iI recognized that the local version from my ssd is nearly equal slow. :-( Can you confirm that this is currently a problem of the skin?

Tripled the number of images to 300 and noticed some sensitivity to album size: http://www.mistelberger.net/Tiger/2017-05-19/index.html
jGromit

Posted: 25-Aug-2017 16:16   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

Attached is the kind of thing I'm seeing in Firefox. It's noticeably better in Chrome.
jGromit

Posted: 25-Aug-2017 16:18   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

And for comparison's sake, my own site (Matrix, no lazy loading), with a forced browser refresh.

Granted, the thumbnails are smaller, but I literally can't scroll fast enough to beat the image loading.

Edit: Thumbnail file size certainly has something to do with it. My thumbnails average about 6KB each, but the Thailand thumbnails appear to be in the 24KB range.
Laza

Posted: 25-Aug-2017 17:16   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Yes, the thumbnails were this big for the sake of folder thumbnails, but I've changed now the logic and made the higher resolution thumbs used for the folders (they're generated anyway). The default thumbnail size is set now to 240x180px which results in half the size of the current 360x270.
karlmistelberger

Tiger 1.3.8 vs. Turtle 5.6.1
Posted: 27-Aug-2017 07:37   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

Tiger 1.3.8 is still very sluggish: http://www.mistelberger.net/Tiger/2017-05-19/index.html

Close Tiger tab, then try Turtle.

Turtle 5.6.1 is much faster: http://www.mistelberger.net/Turtle/2017-05-19/index.html
karlmistelberger

Posted: 27-Aug-2017 08:38   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:
And for comparison's sake, my own site (Matrix, no lazy loading), with a forced browser refresh.

Engadine vs. Val Bondasca
Laza

Re: Tiger 1.3.8 vs. Turtle 5.6.1
Posted: 27-Aug-2017 09:01   in response to: karlmistelberger in response to: karlmistelberger

Yes, I should have stopped and rethink the lazyload/mathcheight routines from ground, because now they overload the CPU. I tried to fix it recently, but it's still sluggish. Monday I will fix it hopefully.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums