Permlink Replies: 10 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 13-Aug-2017 08:06 Last Post By: AndreWolff Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
RobM

Slide Show 4 sample album
Posted: 10-Aug-2017 23:08
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
I used the sample portfolio album with default settings. I used the images to video external tool to make videos in each folder, all videos are the last object in each folder.

The album is at http://robm.jalbum.net/Sample%20Portfolio/

Observations:
The album wide slideshow, item 5, is shown on its own above the folder thumbnails.

Click on that thumbnail and it opens the ‘People’ folder.

Go back and click on ‘People’ it opens ‘Nature’.

Go back and click on ‘Travel’ it will open the album_slideshow video.

Try any video, none will play, the paths to the videos are not pointing to the actual location (which is in the slides folder)
AndreWolff

Re: Slide Show 4 sample album
Posted: 11-Aug-2017 17:49   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
Attachment IMG_6454.PNG (122,1 KB)
Is the video in the root directory in front of all folders? See enclosed screenshot of the manual.
RobM

Posted: 11-Aug-2017 18:01   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
AndreWolff wrote:
Is the video in the root directory in front of all folders? See enclosed screenshot of the manual.
Yes.
Who reads manuals, you've said good software does not need a manual.
If making a normal album causes all of the links to point to different items it is a strange design. And not linking to the videos, even in the subfolders is that the users fault too.

If you are happy with the design just leave it as is.
AndreWolff

Posted: 11-Aug-2017 19:54   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM wrote:
Yes.I will leave it as it is.

But about the video in a folder album, that works in my case: Open my Portfolio album. click the People folder and next click the video.
It plays as expected in my album, so how did you add the video?

Edited by: AndreWolff on 11-Aug-2017 22:11

The source of your video in the People folder is:
../../Nature/slideshow.mp4
while my video, with the original video in the image directory, is in the slides folder:
slides/IMG_1043.mp4
and that is the normnal place for a video, so my question is:
How did you add the video?
And please remake the album with the video in the root folder in front of the folders icons, to see whether that has also an effect on the video in a folder.

Edited by: AndreWolff on 12-Aug-2017 02:10:
If the source of your video is ../../Nature/slideshow.mp4, your video URL is http://robm.jalbum.net/Nature/slideshow.mp4 and I see there no mp4 file, so your video is not uploaded to the server.
Not strange, because your video is outside the root album folder.
Maybe the problem is solved if you upload your videos with an FTP program.
RobM

Posted: 12-Aug-2017 14:52   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
Dispite your presumptuous post in that other place, if you read the original post above it provides all of the information needed to reproduce this result.

Load the Sample portfolio album, add a video using this tool, load SS4 skin, use the default settings - what anyone trying a skin is most likely to do, build the album.

Most users simply trying your skin, with the default settings and files/folders arranged how they want them, are likely to get a result like I posted. I think it would put them off SS4, you don't, I brought it to your attention, that is all. Act on it or don't, it is your choice.

I don't intend to reply any further, you are too abrasive.
AndreWolff

Posted: 12-Aug-2017 18:53   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM wrote:
Load the Sample portfolio album, add a video using this tool, load SS4 skin, use the default settings - what anyone trying a skin is most likely to do, build the album.
Well, I did copy file “images to video.bsh” to C:\Program Files\jAlbum\tools
To test it, I opened an album with folders project and executed menu item Tools/External Tools/images to video.
Next I did a Make. No video was made, only a number of slideshow_files.txt files were made.

So because the tool is not working at my place, I can’t check the videos produced by this tool.

BTW I don't understand your statement load SS4 skin, use the default settings because after Load the Sample portfolio album, the SS4 skin is already loaded.
jGromit

Posted: 12-Aug-2017 19:51   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
AndreWolff wrote:
BTW I don't understand your statement load SS4 skin, use the default settings because after Load the Sample portfolio album, the SS4 skin is already loaded.

The Sample Portfolio album, as distributed, uses the current default jAlbum skin - at present, Tiger. If you've changed it to another skin and saved it, then of course it's using whatever skin you saved it with.
AndreWolff

Posted: 12-Aug-2017 19:56   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
The Sample Portfolio album, as distributed, uses the current default jAlbum skin - at present, Tiger. If you've changed it to another skin and saved it, then of course it's using whatever skin you saved it with.
Yes I understand, but that does not explain why no video is produced I think!
AndreWolff

Posted: 12-Aug-2017 20:05   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM wrote:
I leave the design as it is, but in the next version I will give a warning message if after a folder a video or image is detected.
jGromit

Posted: 12-Aug-2017 20:28   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
The jAlbum default settings are for folders (directories) first, followed by name-sorted images/videos, so a skin that can't handle that (and SS4 definitely can't) is more than just a little odd.

Clicking any of these thumbnails is quite an adventure. You never know where you're going to land: http://jgromit.jalbum.net/SS4Test/
AndreWolff

Posted: 12-Aug-2017 20:47   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
The jAlbum default settings are for folders (directories) first
Well nobody told me that and the Slide Show 4 manual states:
If an album contains folder albums, the thumbnail folder icons are displayed in a second table of thumbnail folder icons after the slide picture thumbnails of the top album. However it is the responsibility of the album creator that the folders are located after all normal images in the jAlbum Explore.

And I never got a complaint about that.

But this is not the isue of this thread, I only like to find out why that images to video tool is not working at my place.
If I can't get that tool working I can't check why the video does not start in the folder albums of RobMs example album.
Apparantly this tool does not work on a Windows 10 platform.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums