Permlink Replies: 31 - Pages: 3 [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ] - Last Post: 06-Sep-2017 22:59 Last Post By: jGromit Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
davidekholm

Re: Improved JDraggableList component for jAlbum 14.1.1
Posted: 15-Aug-2017 21:48   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
jGromit wrote:

And multiple item selection is only partially working. I can select multiple items, but when I then try to drag them, I'm getting only one item. Only a right-click drag works, especially for non-contiguous items. Not terrible, but not immediately obvious, either.

I agree the multiple selection feels odd. It's probably hard to rewrite this default behavior. You have to keep CTRL or SHIFT down as you drag multiple items.
jGromit

Posted: 15-Aug-2017 22:00   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
I agree the multiple selection feels odd. It's probably hard to rewrite this default behavior. You have to keep CTRL or SHIFT down as you drag multiple items.

Keeping SHIFT down works, but keeping CTRL down, at least on a Win10 machine, results in no dragging. What works consistently is right-clicking and dragging after you've made your selection.

I'm more concerned about this behavior, which I can reproduce at will:

jGromit wrote:
I can still beat it to the punch, however. If I choose, say, Title, Comment, and Base name, make the album, save the album, then do a rapid CTRL-W, CTRL-1, I'm seeing the default choices. If I pause a bit after closing the project, then open it again, the saved choices are displayed properly.

I suspect this is a manifestation of a deep project-loading bug we've seen once in a while over the past few years, when fast-fingered users claim that their project settings aren't being saved. What's in the .jap file is actually correct.

This happens if I have Gromit selected as my default skin. When I hit CTRL-W, it's OK if I wait for the default Gromit settings to load, which takes a couple of seconds. If I then hit CTRL-1, all is OK.

Ditto if Tiger is my default - in short, any skin with a large-ish UI. By contrast, if I have MinimalC as my default (like Minimal 7, but with a compiled UI, so it loads lightning fast), I can't hit CTRL-W, CTRL-1 fast enough to beat it.
jGromit

Posted: 05-Sep-2017 18:19   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
I've however set these lists to suggest scrolling if there are more than 8 items present....

I'm not seeing that kind of limitation. If I add 20 items, I get a non-scrolling list that's 20 items tall. I can put it in a JScrollPane, but even then, if I don't set a preferred size for the pane, it sizes itself to show all 20 items without scrolling.
davidekholm

Posted: 06-Sep-2017 15:50   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
davidekholm wrote:
I've however set these lists to suggest scrolling if there are more than 8 items present....

I'm not seeing that kind of limitation. If I add 20 items, I get a non-scrolling list that's 20 items tall. I can put it in a JScrollPane, but even then, if I don't set a preferred size for the pane, it sizes itself to show all 20 items without scrolling.

Weird. What if you add an ordinary JList to a JScrollPane?

RobM

Posted: 06-Sep-2017 16:02   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
jGromit wrote:
davidekholm wrote:

I get the scrollbar after eight items

Edited by: RobM on 06-Sep-2017 15:02
That is with the draggable list, not an ordinary JList
jGromit

Posted: 06-Sep-2017 16:04   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
Attachment ss003211.png (33.3 KB)
davidekholm wrote:

In that case, it actually does max out at 8. But I'm not complaining - in the case I'm tinkering with, I don't want it to max out at 8! See screenshot....
jGromit

Posted: 06-Sep-2017 16:05   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM wrote:

Well, here's a skin. Tell me what you see!
RobM

Posted: 06-Sep-2017 16:55   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
Attachment Polyglot.png (54.2 KB)
Attachment minimalTinker.png (51.7 KB)
jGromit wrote:
RobM wrote:

Well, here's a skin. Tell me what you see!

For that skin I see trouble, attached both Uis
jGromit

Posted: 06-Sep-2017 18:04   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
Yes, with a smaller display/application window size, ugly things start happening. But if you uncomment the preferred size line in onload.bsh and reload the skin, it should be fine.

In any event, I think you'll agree that the 8-item limit does not seem to apply here.
RobM

Posted: 06-Sep-2017 18:28   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
Yes, with a smaller display/application window size, ugly things start happening. But if you uncomment the preferred size line in onload.bsh and reload the skin, it should be fine.

In any event, I think you'll agree that the 8-item limit does not seem to apply here.

Yes, with the preferred size it works fine.

I've managed to update my Polyglot skin to use the JDaraggableList for language selection, much better than having a user type a comma separated 2 digit codes in a text box. The new StateMonitor solved my problem of how to nicely ensure my combobox showed 'Quick pick' after it was used - instead of being left on 'add all' or 'rest'.

I just need to wait for 14.1.12 updates to be formally released :)
jGromit

Posted: 06-Sep-2017 18:37   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM wrote:

You should warn the BBC to be on alert, so they can interrupt their regularly-scheduled programs when it happens.
RobM

Posted: 06-Sep-2017 19:04   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
RobM wrote:

You should warn the BBC to be on alert, so they can interrupt their regularly-scheduled programs when it happens.

Tough call for them to make, the above or North Korea, Global warming, Hurricanes ;)
davidekholm

Posted: 06-Sep-2017 22:03   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
davidekholm wrote:

In that case, it actually does max out at 8. But I'm not complaining - in the case I'm tinkering with, I don't want it to max out at 8! See screenshot....

It's not a max value, it's a suggested value for the layout mechanism. If other components are higher, they might decide the height of the scrollpane too.
davidekholm

Posted: 06-Sep-2017 22:20   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:

I've now fixed that layout issue. The list now doesn't try to suggest more than 8 rows when interacting with the layout manager. If forced to stretch more, that's naturally fine too. (The bug was that the 8 row suggested limit only applied if you had pairs of JDraggableLists)

If you don't like the list to suggest 8 rows, call setVisibleRowCount(preferredNumberOfRowsHere);
jGromit

Posted: 06-Sep-2017 22:37   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
I've now fixed that layout issue.

Yes, it seems much better-behaved now.

If you don't like the list to suggest 8 rows, call setVisibleRowCount(preferredNumberOfRowsHere);

That's much friendlier than guessing at a preferred size in pixels.

It's effective only if you put the JDraggableList into a JScrollPane, in case anyone else is fiddling with this (like RobM).
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums