This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 1. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 8 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 31 Jul 17, 14:40 Last Post By: AnCa Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
thomher

Does jAlbum-hosting support .htaccess?
Posted: 28 Jul 17, 16:46

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hi,
i tried to protect an album with .htaccess & .htpasswd files, which i uploaded on the jAlbum-hosting space with FileZilla, but it doesn't work out, i'm able to open the url without beeing asked for the password.

Is the path i used for AuthUserFile correct?: /users/thomher/albumname/.htpasswd
Or does the hosting service of jAlbum not support .htaccess ?

Thanks, Thomas!
JeffTucker

Re: Does jAlbum-hosting support .htaccess?
Posted: 28 Jul 17, 16:54   in response to: thomher in response to: thomher
Helpful
jAlbum hosting uses a different mechanism for password protection. Go to your profile page, hover on the down-arrow at the upper right of the thumbnail for the album, and choose "Edit album." On the page that comes up, you'll find a place to provide a password for the album.
thomher

Posted: 28 Jul 17, 17:07   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Ah ok, which mechanism is this - is it as secure as .htacces ?

Thanks!
JeffTucker

Posted: 28 Jul 17, 17:18   in response to: thomher in response to: thomher

thomher wrote:
...which mechanism is this....

I have to leave it to Anders to answer that.

...is it as secure as .htacces ?

Even more secure. After three attempts to crack the password of an album, a team of Swedish ninja assassins is sent out to terminate the offender.

No one can access the album without the password. Is that not secure enough?
AnCa

Posted: 28 Jul 17, 23:26   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

jGromit wrote:
thomher wrote:
...which mechanism is this....
I have to leave it to Anders to answer that.
I don't think there is a name for the mechanism we use. It's a password form and the credentials are stored in the session.

...is it as secure as .htacces ?
It should be just as secure as the sign in mechanism on the jalbum.net site. You can use https for the album and the password form if you like.
I sometimes wish I knew a way of circumvent the password form, but I don't... And I wrote the code for our password protection...
JeffTucker

Posted: 29 Jul 17, 06:21   in response to: AnCa in response to: AnCa

You're suspiciously silent on the subject of the ninja assassins. I guess being tight-lipped is part of the warrior code.
thomher

Posted: 29 Jul 17, 16:07   in response to: AnCa in response to: AnCa

AnCa wrote:
It should be just as secure as the sign in mechanism on the jalbum.net site. You can use https for the album and the password form if you like.

Thanks, also for the https-hint!

I noticed if i set an album password on jalbum.net and then upload changes with the jalbum-software and havn't declared a password in the software-upload-form, the protection i set on jalbum.net before gets overwritten (without any notification).
AnCa

Posted: 31 Jul 17, 14:37   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

jGromit wrote:
You're suspiciously silent on the subject of the ninja assassins. I guess being tight-lipped is part of the warrior code.
Yes, we can't reveal security related details. Our ninjas could be everywhere. And nowhere. You never know.
AnCa

Posted: 31 Jul 17, 14:40   in response to: thomher in response to: thomher

thomher wrote:
I noticed if i set an album password on jalbum.net and then upload changes with the jalbum-software and havn't declared a password in the software-upload-form, the protection i set on jalbum.net before gets overwritten (without any notification).
Yes, the privacy settings in the upload-form is use when updating the album, and the client unfortunately doesn't know that a password has been set using the website. Sorry...
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums