This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 1. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 16 - Pages: 2 [ 1 2 | Next ] - Last Post: 11-Oct-2017 12:37 Last Post By: jimberry Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
bppowell

Kiosk Mode
Posted: 29-Jun-2017 14:47

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hi,
can I run Jalbum in kiosk mode.
MarkusD

Re: Kiosk Mode
Posted: 29-Jun-2017 21:13   in response to: bppowell in response to: bppowell

bppowell wrote:
Hi,
can I run Jalbum in kiosk mode.
Do you mean by "kiosl mode" this? I couldn't think of how that does make sense. As far as I know a computer itself runs in kiosk mode. But a web page? What is your definition of "kiosk mode"?
jGromit

Posted: 29-Jun-2017 22:02   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD

Yes, it would help if you could explain what it is you're trying to do.

Are you talking about setting up a PC that does nothing but show an album created by jAlbum? If so, then it's no problem - a jAlbum album is simply a web page (or a series of connected web pages), like any other web page.

But if you're talking about running the jAlbum desktop application in kiosk mode, I don't understand what the purpose of that would be.
MarkusD

Posted: 01-Jul-2017 13:43   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:
Yes, it would help if you could explain what it is you're trying to do.

Are you talking about setting up a PC that does nothing but show an album created by jAlbum? If so, then it's no problem - a jAlbum album is simply a web page (or a series of connected web pages), like any other web page.

But if you're talking about running the jAlbum desktop application in kiosk mode, I don't understand what the purpose of that would be.

Maybe the idea of the TO is not running jAlbum in kiosk mode but the generated albums. At least this is a thing I was thinking of several times in the past.

When I show my pictures to friends and family at home in the living room I use ACDsee Ultimate. There are two options available to do that. Running a slide show having a fixed transition time from one object to the next. I use the word object instead of picture because that is the point. ACDsee Ultimate is also able to show videos. The second option to show objects is by manually move to the next object with the keyboard or the mouse. This is similar to a generated JA album.

But JA albums are lacking of two things. 1) Showing videos during a slide show and skipping all other objects which does not make sense to show during a slide show (PDF files for example). 2) The other thing is that showing objects of an folder and then skipping automatically to the next folder on the same level. Example:
Top-Folder 01
  • Sub-Folder 01-01
  • Sub-Folder 01-n
Top-Folder 02
  • Sub-Folder 02-01
  • Sub-Folder 02-n

So starting a slide show of "Top-folder 01" should show all objects until the last object on Folder "Sub-Folder 01-n" without any user interaction. That would be a great feature. The dot of the i is the option to repeat that slide show after the last picture "Sub-Folder 01-n", and tada, that is a kiosk mode. ;-)

I'm aware of that the automatic start of a video is limited in some ways, on smartphone OSs this is not allowed. OK, who watches pictures on a smart phone anyway ;-) It still does not make any sense to me to watch pictures on such small screens, same goes for videos. Are today's browsers running on a PC, Mac or with Linux also limited in starting a video in a JA slide show? It seems so, because if I start a slide show it stops at the first video and you have to start the video manually or skip to the next picture manually. So, a kiosk mode for a JA album could be a possibility to start a slide show which is able to show all objects in all sub folders, skipping objects like PDFs automatically.
RobM

Posted: 01-Jul-2017 14:56   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD

MarkusD wrote:
But JA albums are lacking of two things. 1) Showing videos during a slide show and skipping all other objects which does not make sense to show during a slide show (PDF files for example). 2) The other thing is that showing objects of an folder and then skipping automatically to the next folder on the same level.
Both of the above are possible, though maybe not directly at the moment in anyone skin. My Polyglot & Sprint skins only show images & videos when navigating slide pages. Some skins do have an album wide slide show feature
I'm aware of that the automatic start of a video is limited in some ways, on smartphone OSs this is not allowed. OK, who watches pictures on a smart phone anyway ;-) It still does not make any sense to me to watch pictures on such small screens, same goes for videos.
You are showing your age ;) Tiger skin was made because of the increasing use of small screen devices being used to show images from 30M pixel cameras!
MarkusD

Posted: 01-Jul-2017 15:55   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

RobM wrote:
MarkusD wrote:
But JA albums are lacking of two things. 1) Showing videos during a slide show and skipping all other objects which does not make sense to show during a slide show (PDF files for example). 2) The other thing is that showing objects of an folder and then skipping automatically to the next folder on the same level.
Both of the above are possible, though maybe not directly at the moment in anyone skin. My Polyglot & Sprint skins only show images & videos when navigating slide pages. Some skins do have an album wide slide show feature
I remember that I used such an album wide slide show feature in Turtle once, but it caused trouble, which exactly I don't remember, and quit using that feature. To me it would make sense to implement such a feature for album wide slide show in the core for JA.

I'm aware of that the automatic start of a video is limited in some ways, on smartphone OSs this is not allowed. OK, who watches pictures on a smart phone anyway ;-) It still does not make any sense to me to watch pictures on such small screens, same goes for videos.
You are showing your age ;)
Touché ;-)

Tiger skin was made because of the increasing use of small screen devices being used to show images from 30M pixel cameras!
<LOL> Combined together with low mobile connection speeds <g>. I'll really doubt sometimes if homo sapiens is an intelligent species. ;-)

For the time being I stick with my 40" monitor and wait until we get devices which are able to "throw" (cast) a picture out of box which fits in your pocked and brings up a picture at a size of 100" on any wall, during daylight of course. Small screen devices, pha... ;-))
jimberry

Posted: 01-Jul-2017 18:04   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD

MarkusD wrote:
But JA albums are lacking ... ... Showing videos during a slide show and skipping all other objects which does not make sense to show during a slide show (PDF files for example)
Perhaps you could use RobM's new tool for importing individual slides into a video.
I am not sure if this would allow including existing videos as well as JPEGs, but if not, you could useACDSee, iMovie or OpenShot (or some other video editor) to sequence JPEGS and MPEG4s into a supermovie, then include this movie in a jAlbum presentation.

Small screen devices, pha... ;-))
I agree ;-)
Dschuwi

Posted: 01-Jul-2017 22:04   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD

MarkusD wrote:

So starting a slide show of "Top-folder 01" should show all objects until the last object on Folder "Sub-Folder 01-n" without any user interaction. That would be a great feature. The dot of the i is the option to repeat that slide show after the last picture "Sub-Folder 01-n", and tada, that is a kiosk mode. ;-)

That's exactly what Classic Aligned 2's "cross folder navigation" setting enables.
MarkusD

Posted: 02-Jul-2017 16:07   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry

jimberry wrote:
MarkusD wrote:
But JA albums are lacking ... ... Showing videos during a slide show and skipping all other objects which does not make sense to show during a slide show (PDF files for example)
Perhaps you could use RobM's new tool for importing individual slides into a video.
I just tried that tool, but what ever I do, I don't get a "slideshow.mp4" file. But I also don't get an error message. Where does this "slideshow.mp4" will be generated? I looked in my source folder of the pictures, I also looked in the output folder "slides" and "thumbs", finally I searched my whole C: drive for "slideshow.mp4", but couldn't find one.

I am not sure if this would allow including existing videos as well as JPEGs, but if not, you could useACDSee, iMovie or OpenShot (or some other video editor) to sequence JPEGS and MPEG4s into a supermovie, then include this movie in a jAlbum presentation.
I already experimented with the command line of ffmpeg to generate a movie out of png, which worked ok.

This part of my script:
@ECHO OFF
TITLE Film erstellen
REM ”=ö; =ü; „=ä; ™=Ö; š=Ü; =Ä; á=ß

:: http://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Slideshow
:: ffmpeg -f concat -safe 0 -i input_general.txt -pix_fmt yuv420p general.mp4
:: ffmpeg -f concat -safe 0 -i input_svalbard.txt -pix_fmt yuv420p svalbard.mp4

D:

TITLE Film erstellen - General
ECHO Film erstellen - General
CD "\Eigene Dateien\MDrck\Pictures\2017 01 28 Norge\More\Svalbard\Eiskarten\General"
IF EXIST general.mp4 DEL general.mp4
"C:\Util\ffmpeg\ffmpeg.exe" -f concat -safe 0 -i input_general.txt general.mp4

Part of input_general.txt:
file 'general_20161101.png'
duration 1
file 'general_20161102.png'
duration 1
file 'general_20161103.png'
duration 1

So, to "feed" ffmpeg with the right files a tool would be handy which can convert a "albumfiles.txt" to a input file for ffmpeg, which should be not be too complicated to write.

On the other hand I would vote for some more easy to handle core JA functionality to make the slide show feature more intelligent, knowing that slide show is not part of JA yet and is a feature of some selected skins.
RobM

Posted: 02-Jul-2017 16:59   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD

MarkusD wrote:
jimberry wrote:
MarkusD wrote:
I just tried that tool, but what ever I do, I don't get a "slideshow.mp4" file. But I also don't get an error message. Where does this "slideshow.mp4" will be generated? I looked in my source folder of the pictures, I also looked in the output folder "slides" and "thumbs", finally I searched my whole C: drive for "slideshow.mp4", but couldn't find one.
The tool asks for a name for the slide show movie, the default is slideshow.
A movie of that name should appear in every project (image sources) folder that has images ending with '.jpg'. You seem to have .JPG which won't match the pattern. There are to lines with '*.jpg' that need changing to '*.JPG', they both start with
p = Runtime.getRuntime().exec(new String[]
. I can update the tool to let you specify the image file extension to look for, I'm not sure how to specify case insensitive and/or other file extensions when using glob with ffmpeg
So, to "feed" ffmpeg with the right files a tool would be handy which can convert a "albumfiles.txt" to a input file for ffmpeg, which should be not be too complicated to write.
I tried that and while not difficult to write it stubbornly refused to run :(
karlmistelberger

Posted: 02-Jul-2017 17:23   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

RobM wrote:
A movie of that name should appear in every project (image sources) folder that has images ending with '.jpg'. You seem to have .JPG which won't match the pattern. There are to lines with '*.jpg' that need changing to '*.JPG', they both start with
. I can update the tool to let you specify the image file extension to look for, I'm not sure how to specify case insensitive and/or other file extensions when using glob with ffmpeg

Replace *jpg by *[jJ][pP][gG] .
MarkusD

Posted: 02-Jul-2017 17:56   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

RobM wrote:
MarkusD wrote:
jimberry wrote:
MarkusD wrote:
A movie of that name should appear in every project (image sources) folder that has images ending with '.jpg'. You seem to have .JPG which won't match the pattern.
You are right, the file names of my camera uses "JPG" as file extensions.

There are to lines with '*.jpg' that need changing to '*.JPG', they both start with
I changed the code to '*.JPG' and let the tool run again, but still no slideshow file. Anything else I could have done wrong?
MarkusD

Posted: 02-Jul-2017 18:01   in response to: karlmistelberger in response to: karlmistelberger

karlmistelberger wrote:
RobM wrote:

Replace *jpg by *[jJ][pP][gG] .
That could result in a real disaster (changing the original files names) if you have other tools which rely on case sensitive file names. So always be careful to change any original file name. ;-)
MarkusD

Posted: 02-Jul-2017 18:23   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

RobM wrote:
MarkusD wrote:
jimberry wrote:
MarkusD wrote:
A movie of that name should appear in every project (image sources) folder that has images ending with '.jpg'. You seem to have .JPG which won't match the pattern.
I tried the tool with another album and still no slideshow file (and no yellow triangle in the lower right corner of JA). Could it be a problem if I use "link" for my albums, instead of "copy", when adding files?
RobM

Posted: 02-Jul-2017 18:29   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD

MarkusD wrote:
RobM wrote:
MarkusD wrote:
jimberry wrote:
MarkusD wrote:
I tried the tool with another album and still no slideshow file (and no yellow triangle in the lower right corner of JA). Could it be a problem if I use "link" for my albums, instead of "copy", when adding files?
I think that is probably it, the tool is looking in the project folders for files. I will update the notes in the external tools forum. The solution would be to go through the album objects or parse the albumfiles.txt file, neither of which I could get to work via the external tool method, directly from the command line yes.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums