This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 4 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 28-May-2017 16:18 Last Post By: markok Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
markok

Manual Update of an existing album
Posted: 27-May-2017 12:33

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hello,

one question...

I would like to manually update an existing -multiple folders- album...

which files do I need to upload if I only added a new folder (with images) to an existing album?

Is it "new folder" + "index.html" file enough?

Please advise.

Thank you.
Marko
JeffTucker

Re: Manual Update of an existing album
Posted: 27-May-2017 13:54   in response to: markok in response to: markok

markok wrote:
I would like to manually update an existing -multiple folders- album...

which files do I need to upload if I only added a new folder (with images) to an existing album?

Is it "new folder" + "index.html" file enough?

You need to upload all new and changed files. That will include the new folder, but it may also include new files at the top level, changed files in the sibling folders, and new resource files (the "res" directory). Depending upon the skin, it may include new JSON files.

In short, it's not easy to tell which files need to be uploaded. That's why the jAlbum upload routine is "smart" - it figures out which files need to be uploaded. You don't need to pick and choose files.

If you're using an FTP client program like FileZilla, you can tell it to upload only new or changed files, then just mark the entire output, and tell it to upload. It will hop, skip, and jump over the unchanged files.

So, no matter how you do the uploading, it's easier and safer to let the software do the work for you.

Finally, if you have updated the skin you're using, you must make the entire album using the new version (not just the new folder), and again let the software figure out which files to upload.
markok

Posted: 28-May-2017 08:32   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Thank you for the answer, appreciate it!

Unfortunately after years of flawlessly uploading- jAlbum is not able to do all this work for me anymore...?

As of few days ago I have been getting Timout errors while trying to upload album...

I did not change anything on my side, same jAlbum version, skin version, tried several different FTP connection methods, different networks and computers...
FileZila manual upload works...

Could it be that something changed at my ISP on the server side??

If yes, what would you recommend me to ask them to check?

Would appreciate your advise.
Thank you.
Marko
JeffTucker

Posted: 28-May-2017 15:07   in response to: markok in response to: markok

Those symptoms suggest only one thing to me, and that's a damaged manifest file. When you're using something like FileZilla, it's not using the manifest file - only the jAlbum uploader uses it. It speeds things up a bit, but can also cause problems.

Connect to your hosting server, navigate to the directory that contains the album, and delete manifest.jmf. Then try the jAlbum uploader again.

(For my own stuff, I often stick to FileZilla. Go to File, Edit, Settings, Transfer, File exists action, Uploads, and choose Overwrite if source file newer. Then, you can just mark the entire contents of the output directory and tell FileZilla to upload it. It will blow past the unchanged stuff pretty quickly.)
markok

Posted: 28-May-2017 16:18   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Thank you, will do as suggested!

regards
Marko
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums