Permlink Replies: 255 - Pages: 18 [ Previous | 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ] - Last Post: 01-Jul-2017 23:34 Last Post By: davidekholm Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
davidekholm

Re: jAlbum 14 beta for testing
Posted: 15-Jun-2017 11:55   in response to: ctwist in response to: ctwist
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
ctwist wrote:
The "Skin family" property will be useful when I am testing different versions of a skin.

Currently, to avoid losing settings when I switch to an old version of the skin, I need to close Eclipse and then rename the new and old skins. When I switch back to the current version, I have to undo the renames.

If I put these into the same skin family, I can just change the project's skin from "Mirage" to "Mirage 7.8". Much simpler.

I'm glad this helps skin development too :-)
RobM

Posted: 15-Jun-2017 12:45   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
Good point. There is now an "exclude" attribute too. I also added an "include" attribute as a synonym for "category" so it's symmetrical. Update the beta jar file
Thanks. The other thing this brings to mind is a way a skin could inhibit the making of slide pages/images for specific categories. I've modified my skins so that only images and videos show up when navigating through slide pages, but I had to make my own previousSlide and nextSlide variables. Being able to just use the normal previous/next variables would be much cleaner.

As I have a solution it is just a 'feature suggestion'.

Edited by: RobM on 15-Jun-2017 11:49
Example at http://robm.jalbum.net/polyglot/photos/index.html?lanCode=en
The third thumbnail is a webLocation for which there is no slide page shown - if you click on any other thumbnail.
AndreWolff

Posted: 15-Jun-2017 12:52   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
For the next version of the Slide Show 4 skin I made an implementation of the weblocation object where the navigation buttons are also visible on the opened web page which replaces the slide image, see my Slide Show 4 test album 1.

As an option, the user may also decide to show no navigation buttons on the opened web location, see my Slide Show 4 test album 2. In this case the web location is opened in a new tab via the i-button above the slide image.
jGromit

Posted: 15-Jun-2017 13:08   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM wrote:
I've modified my skins so that only images and videos show up when navigating through slide pages, but I had to make my own previousSlide and nextSlide variables. Being able to just use the normal previous/next variables would be much cleaner.

David, this is what I've been driving at (in my email, for example). A skin developer shouldn't have to create his own array of objects, simply to avoid creating a slide page for an object that should never have one. We don't have to take special measures to avoid creating slide pages for folders, or for "about" or "contact" pages. Why should we have to stand on our heads to avoid creating a slide page for a webloc object?

A webloc should behave like a folder. The thumbnail for it is just a link to another page. It's not part of the slideshow.
AndreWolff

Posted: 15-Jun-2017 13:32   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
A webloc should behave like a folder. The thumbnail for it is just a link to another page. It's not part of the slideshow.
I don't agree with that, it must be possible to replace an image or add a link to a weblocation from a slide image of a slide show to show the web page on the correct place in a sequence of pictures telling a story.
In my Slide Show 4 skin implementation showed in the message above you see boths methods implemented.
jGromit

Posted: 15-Jun-2017 13:37   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza
Laza wrote:
I don't know what happens, but ideally folderTitle should return FolderAA - this is the way inheritance supposed to work. Anyway, I'm using explicit albumObjects in my code, and don't allow this uncertainty. The problem was that even if the skin was iterating through albumObjects the parentFolder's variables were inaccessible.

I guess it's too early in the morning for me to be trying to think about this.

I suppose I've just never run into this situation. If I'm iterating on the index page, to produce thumbnails, the parent folder's variables aren't relevant. If I'm iterating elsewhere, like to produce a thumbstrip on a slide page, again the parent folder's variables aren't relevant.

If I'm showing an image that needs to have something like the folder name in the title bar, I've grabbed that before ever hitting slide.htt. When entering a directory, I stash all the directory-level variables I'm going to need later.
jGromit

Posted: 15-Jun-2017 14:18   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
Good point. There is now an "exclude" attribute too. I also added an "include" attribute as a synonym for "category" so it's symmetrical.

Will this behave like the existing tag?

• <ja:fileiterator> iterates over only the objects on the current index page.
  • <ja:fileiterator start=0> iterates over all of the objects in the current directory, regardless of index pagination.
  • <ja:fileiterator nodirs> iterates over all of the non-folder objects in the current directory, regardless of index pagination. In fact, if called while processing index2.html, I seem to recall that it doesn't iterate at all.

In short, will using exclude or include cause the iterator to "break out" of the current page? And will it not iterate at all on index2, index3, etc.?
davidekholm

Posted: 15-Jun-2017 14:28   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM wrote:
davidekholm wrote:
I now have Release Candidate 1 for jAlbum 14 out. The plan is to release it sharp within a week if there aren't any major showstoppers reported.
I notice Tiger uses a tag I don't recall seeing before
<ja:enter> </ja:enter>
, is this a new tag?

Yes, sorry I've missed telling about it. Here's the story. I made a design flaw many years ago when designing the way variable scopes are nested. When in a file iterator within "index.htt", the hierarchy of variable scopes looks like this (from outer to inner):

Global variables
Page variables
Current object variables

It should have looked like this:

Global variables
Current folder variables
Page variables
Current object variables

This design flaw makes it impossible to refer to variables of the current folder from within a fileiterator. If I simply fixed it, skins that check for the existence of folders within a fileiterator would break, i.e. statements like:
<ja:if exists="folder">...</ja:if>
would always be true, even when iterating non-folder objects as the "folder" variables of the now added "Current folder variables" scope would "shine through".

To avoid breaking existing skins, skins that need to have access to the "Current folder variables" scope within fileiterators, may nest the ja:fileiterator with a <ja:enter> element.

The safe way to test if the currently iterated object is a folder is to either write:
<ja:if test="${fileCategory}" value="folder">...</ja:if>
or use a shorter "test for category" that has been added to jAlbum 14 rc3:
<ja:if category="folder">...</ja:if>
jGromit

Posted: 15-Jun-2017 14:29   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
AndreWolff wrote:
I noticed that the output folder contains in all implementaions a file Beerze (Ommen) - Wikipedia.webloc:
What is the purpose of this file? What can I do with it in a skin?

Same question from me. This looks like something from the input side that's "leaking" into the output.
davidekholm

Posted: 15-Jun-2017 14:34   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM wrote:

Is there going to be a way a user can see what skins belong to a family? The browse skins page could have a search for skins belonging to a family, the skin developers page could show theirs skins organised by family and the skin information window could display related skins.

Currently not
davidekholm

Posted: 15-Jun-2017 14:35   in response to: karlmistelberger in response to: karlmistelberger
karlmistelberger wrote:

Moving from Turtle to the new Tiger skin results in the following error message:

Please bring that info straight to Laza by posting in the Tiger skin forum.
davidekholm

Posted: 15-Jun-2017 14:39   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:

Consider this fairly typical situation. You have FolderA. It contains 10 JPG's and two folders, FolderAA and FolderAB. Now you're going through the objects in FolderA within a fileiterator. If this is within a <ja:enter> tag, and you ask for folderTitle, do you get the folderTitle for FolderA, or do you get the folderTitle for FolderAA or FolderAB (when the iterator is dealing with those folders)?

No problem there. You will get the folder title for the inner folders (AA and AB) as they hide the corresponding "folderTitle" from the outer context. The problem only occurs if you have a variable that's missing in the currently iterated object but picked up from a parent scope and you're not aware of that. That's why ja:if exists is error prone.
jGromit

Posted: 15-Jun-2017 14:43   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
No problem there. You will get the folder title for the inner folders (AA and AB) as they hide the corresponding "folderTitle" from the outer context. The problem only occurs if you have a variable that's missing in the currently iterated object but picked up from a parent scope and you're not aware of that. That's why ja:if exists is error prone.

Ah, OK, I get it (coffee is kicking in). Just looked through my skins, and I'm using <ja:if exists="folder"> in only one place, and it's already safe (in a typical row/col iterator, with no need to access parent variables).
davidekholm

Posted: 15-Jun-2017 14:49   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
davidekholm wrote:
Good point. There is now an "exclude" attribute too. I also added an "include" attribute as a synonym for "category" so it's symmetrical.

Will this behave like the existing tag?

• <ja:fileiterator> iterates over only the objects on the current index page.
  • <ja:fileiterator start=0> iterates over all of the objects in the current directory, regardless of index pagination.
  • <ja:fileiterator nodirs> iterates over all of the non-folder objects in the current directory, regardless of index pagination. In fact, if called while processing index2.html, I seem to recall that it doesn't iterate at all.

In short, will using exclude or include cause the iterator to "break out" of the current page? And will it not iterate at all on index2, index3, etc.?

Paging should always be respected unless the "start" attribute is specified

jGromit

Posted: 15-Jun-2017 15:22   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
Paging should always be respected unless the "start" attribute is specified

That's certainly a surprise. It never used to! Using any attribute like nodirs used to cause paging to be ignored. I don't recall a bug fix, but it does seem to be behaving now.

I guess it's time to cross one old item off my hit list.

https://jalbum.net/forum/thread.jspa?threadID=37567
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums