Permlink Replies: 255 - Pages: 18 [ Previous | 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 | Next ] - Last Post: 01-Jul-2017 23:34 Last Post By: davidekholm Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
jGromit

Re: jAlbum 14 beta for testing
Posted: 22-Jun-2017 00:20   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
There is one problem with the way webLocations have been implemented. I'm not sure there's any way around it, but it's something you should probably think about.

Let's say I'm building an album of albums, and my site is structured like this:

http://example.com/master
http://example.com/album1
http://example.com/album2
... and so on.

I add my webLocations to the master, but I can't specify the URL as, for example, "album1/index.html." I have to give it the absolute URL: http://example.com/album1.

But now say I want to move my entire collection to a different structure:

http://example.com/galleries/master
http://example.com/galleries/album1
http://example.com/galleries/album2
... and so on.

The master album will now be broken, because the links from the thumbnails are absolute, and are wrong!
ctwist

Posted: 22-Jun-2017 03:06   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
There is one problem with the way webLocations have been implemented....
In Mirage, I handle this as follows (this is prior to jAlbum 14):
  • As well as "web shortcuts" (these are similar to web locations), I also handle local shortcuts.
  • A child album is attached to its parent as a local shortcut.
  • Wherever possible, I automatically convert a local shortcut to a relative path.
  • The Mirage documentation stipulates that the album parent/child structure must not change; this ensures that the relative paths will remain accurate.
  • You can move all of your albums to a different area of your local storage, or move your uploaded albums to a different location in the current website or a different website. As long as you don't change the relative structure of the albums' root folders, the links between the albums remain accurate.
jGromit

Posted: 22-Jun-2017 03:11   in response to: ctwist in response to: ctwist
I do pretty much the same thing in the current version of Gromit (and Matrix), but I've decided not to provide two different ways of accomplishing the same goal (an album of albums). Just too confusing. The webLocation approach has some major advantages, for example, not creating slide pages and images when they're really not needed, and the automatic extraction of a representing image.

So, the next release of Gromit will deprecate that approach (without killing the existing links, so users have a chance to convert them). But it would be handy if webLocations could accept relative links.
ctwist

Posted: 22-Jun-2017 04:03   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
So if David were to extend Web Locations to also handle Local Locations, we would be one step closer to Nirvana.
jGromit

Posted: 22-Jun-2017 05:45   in response to: ctwist in response to: ctwist
ctwist wrote:
So if David were to extend Web Locations to also handle Local Locations, we would be one step closer to Nirvana.

That, and the option to identify both an image to use as the folder's thumbnail and another to use as the folder's theme image, and I could die happy.
AndreWolff

Posted: 22-Jun-2017 10:08   in response to: ctwist in response to: ctwist
ctwist wrote:
What is Nirvana????
MarkusD

Posted: 22-Jun-2017 10:13   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
AndreWolff

Posted: 22-Jun-2017 10:40   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD
Not understandable by a Dutch boy, I only know this Nirvana, so I had no idea what that has to do with jAlbum!
jGromit

Posted: 22-Jun-2017 12:20   in response to: ctwist in response to: ctwist
ctwist wrote:
This is still a problem. I added a webloc in 14rc7 and albumfiles.txt contains
Abita Springs.webloc	C:\DOCUME~1\CHRIS\LOCALS~1\Temp\jAlbum\Town of Abita Springs.webloc	1498074054

I still can't reproduce that situation, no matter what I try. But that's a very strange-looking path for a Windows machine. Some dopey Windows-y questions....

Does the C:\DOCUME~1\CHRIS\LOCALS~1\Temp\jAlbum directory actually exist?

Have you altered the standard Windows setup, where your documents would be in C:\Users\chris\Documents?

In the jAlbum preferences, what's showing for the "My Albums" location?
davidekholm

Posted: 22-Jun-2017 13:15   in response to: ctwist in response to: ctwist
ctwist wrote:
ctwist wrote:
The location of webloc files is strange:
  • albumfiles.txt shows that these are saved in the temp folder. These are likely to be deleted by file cleaners. Will this remove them from the album?
This is still a problem. I added a webloc in 14rc7 and albumfiles.txt contains
Abita Springs.webloc	C:\DOCUME~1\CHRIS\LOCALS~1\Temp\jAlbum\Town of Abita Springs.webloc	1498074054

They can be safely deleted. jAlbum has already made a copy of them to the project folder.
davidekholm

Posted: 22-Jun-2017 13:15   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
The Minimal skin.properties file isn't quite up-to-date (last modified date, required Java). Fixed, attached.

Thanks
AndreWolff

Posted: 22-Jun-2017 13:43   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
The Minimal skin.properties file isn't quite up-to-date (last modified date, required Java). Fixed, attached.
Why is there next statement:
requiredJalbumVersion=14b

Is it no longer possible to run Minimal with jAlbum 13 or should all skins which handle Web location should get this statement?
jGromit

Posted: 22-Jun-2017 13:46   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
AndreWolff wrote:

Minimal v. 7 requires jAlbum 14. It contains some code that uses fileIterator attributes that aren't available in jAlbum 13. It will produce an error if used in jAlbum 13, and if a thumbstrip is chosen (that's where the new code is).
jGromit

Posted: 22-Jun-2017 13:50   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
AndreWolff wrote:
...should all skins which handle Web location should get this statement?

If someone is using jAlbum 13, they can't add web locations to the album project - there's no way to do it. So whether the skin can handle web locations or not makes no difference to a jAlbum 13 user.

But if the skin contains references to things that didn't exist in jAlbum 13, like Category.webLocation, then obviously the skin requires jAlbum 14.
AndreWolff

Posted: 22-Jun-2017 13:51   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
AndreWolff wrote:

Minimal v. 7 requires jAlbum 14. It contains some code that uses fileIterator attributes that aren't available in jAlbum 13. It will produce an error if used in jAlbum 13, and if a thumbstrip is chosen (that's where the new code is).

Ok, but if you upload a new version, you have also to enter a minimal version number. Why is that required if that version number can be fetched from the skin properties?
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums