Permlink Replies: 255 - Pages: 18 [ Previous | 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 | Next ] - Last Post: 01-Jul-2017 23:34 Last Post By: davidekholm Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
RobM

Re: jAlbum 14 beta for testing
Posted: 21-Jun-2017 10:11   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
AndreWolff wrote:
2. By moving the Set crop focus .. menu item one level up as you promised here.
I have read that thread and can't see that David did more than say it would be considered, not promised.
jGromit

Posted: 21-Jun-2017 12:31   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
AndreWolff wrote:
2. By moving the Set crop focus .. menu item one level up....

Every user wants the settings he uses most often to be moved to the most convenient spot. I never use the Set crop focus tool, so I don't want it moved up. Lately I've been using List metadata most often, so I want that one moved up.
davidekholm

Posted: 21-Jun-2017 14:37   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jAlbum 14 rc7 is now available at http://jalbum.net/download/beta/jalbum-core.jar

This version allows the key makeWebLocationSlides to be specified in the skin.properties file. It defaults to true. If you don't want slide pages and closeup images created for web locations in your skin, set it to false.

Documentation:
http://jalbum.net/api/se/datadosen/jalbum/SkinProperties.html#MAKE_WEB_LOCATION_SLIDES
jGromit

Posted: 21-Jun-2017 16:20   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
This version allows the key makeWebLocationSlides to be specified in the skin.properties file. It defaults to true. If you don't want slide pages and closeup images created for web locations in your skin, set it to false.

Seems to be working as advertised!
davidekholm

Posted: 21-Jun-2017 17:17   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
We've now updated skins, the skin property editor and translations and packaged it all in updated archives for Windows, Mac and zip file. Please test using the links in the head of this thread and report any dealbreakers. I hope we can release jAlbum 14 tomorrow.
RobM

Posted: 21-Jun-2017 17:24   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
We've now updated skins, the skin property editor and translations and packaged it all in updated archives for Windows, Mac and zip file. Please test using the links in the head of this thread and report any dealbreakers. I hope we can release jAlbum 14 tomorrow.
I was about to post an observation on the previous release, so here goes anyway. If the settings window is left open warning dialogs pop up below the settings window. For example if there is no internet connection and web locations are used.
jGromit

Posted: 21-Jun-2017 17:55   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
Attachment skin.properties (451 bytes)
The Minimal skin.properties file isn't quite up-to-date (last modified date, required Java). Fixed, attached.
AndreWolff

Posted: 21-Jun-2017 19:54   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
AndreWolff wrote:
2. By moving the Set crop focus .. menu item one level up....

Every user wants the settings he uses most often to be moved to the most convenient spot. I never use the Set crop focus tool, so I don't want it moved up. Lately I've been using List metadata most often, so I want that one moved up.

Well I understand that you never use the Set crop focus tool, because you hardly makes new albums. You are more a jAlbum tester, developer and support person, so of course List metadata is more important for you.

But most jAlbum customers do make new albums and if they use fixed size thumbnails they have to use the Set crop focus tool many times. A lot of these customers don't even know that such a tool exists, because in the latest released version it is hidden in the extensions pop-up menu.

I make about 70 new albums a year with an average of 32 pictures per album. About 30% of these pictures requires the use of the Set crop focus tool. Because the Set crop focus tool is now buried in the extensions menu, it cost me 700x3= 2100 clicks per year to do my corrections. By moving the Set crop focus tool, one level up it saves me 700 clicks, but may be even more important: new users see that such a tool exists.

I have never in the Rotate right of left menu item, why is that so important that it is set in the first page of the pop-up menu? I think they will better be replaced by he *Set crop focus tool.

If I had to say something in the jAlbum requirements, I would even make a special tool button on the thumbnail picture in the Explorer, because I think the Set crop focus tool, is the most used tool for a thumbnail in the Explorer. In that case I can do my corrections with 700 clicks a year.
jGromit

Posted: 21-Jun-2017 20:03   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
Your psychic abilities about what other users do, or do not use, are noted.

David, on the other hand, has actually conducted tests with groups of users, where he can observe what they do, what they have problems with, and so on.
AndreWolff

Posted: 21-Jun-2017 20:10   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
I see at least still two problems:

The Set crop focus tool does not work for webloc thumbnails in the Explorer (I can imagin that you forget to test this command, because it is hadden in the Extensions menu!).
The é and © charcters are still wrongly reported in EXIF data.

Edited by: AndreWolff on 22-Jun-2017 13:18
AndreWolff

Posted: 21-Jun-2017 20:30   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
David, on the other hand, has actually conducted tests with groups of users, where he can observe what they do, what they have problems with, and so on.
Well if this group of users did advise to move the Set crop focus tool to the extensions menu, I do not think this was a good representation of most jAlbum users!
jGromit

Posted: 21-Jun-2017 20:41   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
AndreWolff wrote:
...I do not think this was a good representation of most jAlbum users!

Not to belabor the obvious, but how, exactly, do you know this?
AndreWolff

Posted: 21-Jun-2017 20:44   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
Not to belabor the obvious, but how, exactly, do you know this?
91,8%
ctwist

Posted: 21-Jun-2017 21:48   in response to: ctwist in response to: ctwist
ctwist wrote:
The location of webloc files is strange:
  • albumfiles.txt shows that these are saved in the temp folder. These are likely to be deleted by file cleaners. Will this remove them from the album?
This is still a problem. I added a webloc in 14rc7 and albumfiles.txt contains
Abita Springs.webloc	C:\DOCUME~1\CHRIS\LOCALS~1\Temp\jAlbum\Town of Abita Springs.webloc	1498074054
RobM

Posted: 21-Jun-2017 23:51   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM wrote:
davidekholm wrote:
You need to put the images to be imported in the same folder as the .csv file you refer to or in a sub folder thereof.
I still can't get this to work with the CSV and images in the same folder or the images in a subfolder (called images). I only tried importing three fields file, title and comment.

I don't have access to the preset database types, maybe someone else can test this feature?
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums