Permlink Replies: 255 - Pages: 18 [ Previous | 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 | Next ] - Last Post: 01-Jul-2017 23:34 Last Post By: davidekholm Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
RobM

Re: jAlbum 14 beta for testing
Posted: 17-Jun-2017 12:23   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
AndreWolff wrote:
jGromit wrote:
Incorrect. The inputs were saved, in the comments.properties file. They just weren't used as a comment source for the album.
They are indeed saved in the comment.properties file, but that is not clear for the user:
just before he closes the project he sees the comments in the Explorer, but if he reopens the project again, they are not showed in the Explorer, so the logical conclusion is: they are not saved.
So jAlbum should always show the entered comments, even if the comment check mark is not set. How else is is it clear that comment is available?
This contradicts a post you made in July 2015 in which you said
In my Mirage test album I did use several comment sources,
see enclosed screenshot.12. After I unchecked check-boxes 
JPEG and EXIF User and clicked the OK button,
 I did expect to see less comments in the Explore, 
but nothing was changed.

Next I did generate the album and that did show less comments as 
expected, but after the generation of the album, the Explorere still did show the wrong comments.

To get the correct display of comments, I had to save the project, close 
jAlbum and start jAlbum again. Then finally the Explore did display what I 
expected after the very first click of the OK button,

In which you were told you just needed to refresh the display (F5).

The manuals, show what happens with the Settings/Advanced/Metadata
jAlbum (Text file)

Use text entered in jAlbum's comment field. If unchecked any comments 
entered in explore or edit mode will not be used in the output album.

Note. If unchecked any comments entered will be saved but will not be 
shown when jAlbum is next launched, to use them again check the box 
and refresh the display (F5), the comments you've entered will reappear.

Warning! If unchecked and the comments are hidden then any additional
 comment entered will overwrite any existing comment.
AndreWolff

Posted: 17-Jun-2017 12:42   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM wrote:
The manuals, show what happens with the Settings/Advanced/Metadata codejAlbum (Text file)
Most users do not read a manual. User friendly applications do not require a manual.
Warning! If unchecked and the comments are hidden then any additional
comment entered will overwrite any existing comment.
Another example of of a wrongly designed user interface! jAlbum should give a warning!

I reported this misbehavior already earlier, see this thread.

Edited by: AndreWolff on 17-Jun-2017 12:46
jGromit

Posted: 17-Jun-2017 13:24   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
If a user changes a default setting, it's assumed that the user did so for a reason. If the software kept reestablishing the default settings, users would find that very annoying.

The only way that setting could have gotten changed would have been by you changing it. Or does someone sneak in at night and louse things up for you?
AndreWolff

Posted: 17-Jun-2017 14:13   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
In fact, it might be nice if jAlbum could provide an "album of albums" checkbox, which would automatically select these options, and turn off the "you sure you want to do this, bunky?" message. Hint, hint.
This trick is not working for all skins, so such a checkbox should not be added!
jGromit

Posted: 17-Jun-2017 14:25   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
AndreWolff wrote:
This trick is not working for all skins, so such a checkbox should not be added!

Not all skins know what to do with a webloc object. So should it not be possible to create weblocs?

Not all skins actually provide a link to the original when you choose Link to originals via scaled images. So should that option not exist?

Not all skins will display the Album description. So should there not be a field to enter it?

Not all skins can create an album with folders. So should it not be possible to create folders?
AndreWolff

Posted: 18-Jun-2017 10:50   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
With the next version of the Slide Show 4 skin and jAlbum 14, it will be possible make two types of Album of Albums:

1. An album where the weblocation is opened by clicking a thumbnail on the index page, see this VechtdalAA example album.

2. An album where the weblocation is opened by clicking an info button on the slide page, see this Vechtdal example album.
MarkusD

Posted: 18-Jun-2017 14:25   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
There were discussions about the Preview button in the "Making album" dialog in the past. To me the Preview button in version 14 still has little if not no use at all.
  • If you make an album the first time the button is not available. Why?
  • If the Preview button is available and you press the button, in the background of JA the main page of your album is shown, that's it, you can do nothing more, because the "Making album" dialog is modal. Preview to me means, during the build process I can preview the already made pages to preview how my album will look like;
  • There is a hidden function by pressing the <Alt> key the preview will be shown in your browser, that is a great function, but why is it still hidden? It should be the default;
  • You have to know that pressing the <Alt> key you'll have to wait quit a time (sometimes) until the preview shows up in your browser and that your browser window is loaded behind jAlbum, so you have to switch to your browser window with <Alt><Tab>;

Please, do make this Preview button more useful. Thanks, Markus.
RobM

Posted: 18-Jun-2017 21:03   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
News (well some of them):
  • Now reads metadata from several popular file formats, not just JPEG images
  • New importer to import metadata from various database backed photo management systems (see Add->From database file)

I have tried importing metadata from a CSV file using manual field mapping but nothing is being processed. I have mapped the CSV
Name,Title,Comment
to File name, Title, Description. Then I added a few rows of data with the Name field matching the filename, as shown in the current folder, followed by a title and comment field. Each line is terminated with a newline character.

See attached for how it looks in the import window.

What are the two presets, PhotoSheetPano and Sellerdeck?

Edited by: RobM on 19-Jun-2017 10:09
AndreWolff

Posted: 19-Jun-2017 10:52   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
Jalbum 14 contains another problem with the processing of EXIF data, a copyright statement like
'© 2016 André Wolff'' (see enclosed screenshot Propertioes.PNG) is fetched with the the Slide Show 4 skin in version 13 correctly as '© 2016 André Wolff'', but the same code returns under version 14 '© 2016 André Wolff'

It is also strange that the description panel in the Explorer shows no Copyright or description at all, see enclosed screenshot DescriptionPanel.PNG. But also in version 13 is this panel empty.

Edited by: AndreWolff on 19-Jun-2017 10:57
jGromit

Posted: 19-Jun-2017 13:07   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
Attach an image that has an EXIF copyright notice that contains diacriticals.

No one can debug a screenshot.
AndreWolff

Posted: 19-Jun-2017 13:35   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
Attached is an image with in the Exif data ' © 2016 André Wolff' and author 'André Wolff'. The origineel file was too large, so i downgraded the resolution.

In jAlbum 14 the Slide Show 4 skin Exif data array shows:
var strExif = [
  'Exp. date: 2014:03:28 10:05:16, Camera: SONY NEX-6, 1/200s f/8.0 ISO-100, Focal length: 44mm/66mm(35mm), Metering mode: Multi-segment, Exposure Program: Aperture priority, Flash: no, WB: Daylight, Resolution: 4912x3264, File size: 6.85  MB, ©  2016 André Wolff, Author: André Wolff',
In version 13:
var strExif = [
  'Exp. date: 2014:03:28 10:05:16, Camera: SONY NEX-6, 1/200s f/8.0 ISO-100, Focal length: 44mm/66mm(35mm), Metering mode: Multi-segment, Exposure Program: Aperture priority, Flash: no, WB: Daylight, Resolution: 4912x3264, File size: 6.85  MB, ©  2016 André Wolff', Author: André Wolff', 
RobM

Posted: 19-Jun-2017 13:49   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
See attached, which seems just fine.
jGromit

Posted: 19-Jun-2017 13:49   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
Attachment ss003043.png (28.1 KB)
The jAlbum List metadata extension shows the diacriticals incorrectly in both jAlbum 14rc3 and jAlbum 13.10.3.
jGromit

Posted: 19-Jun-2017 13:51   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
Attachment ss003044.png (79.2 KB)
RobM wrote:

That's certainly bizarre. My own quick Gromit test shows it incorrectly!

(Please, RobM, no more 3.7MB attachments!)
karlmistelberger

Posted: 19-Jun-2017 14:00   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
RobM wrote:

That's certainly bizarre. My own quick Gromit test shows it incorrectly!

jAlbum 14rc1 displays: © 2016 André Wolff
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums