This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 0. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 6 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 23-Mar-2017 21:44 Last Post By: timue6 Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
timue6

Playing Video is not very intuitive
Posted: 22-Mar-2017 08:49

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hi,

maybe I'm doing something in the wrong way. With the latest version of Jalbum and Exhibit plus there is a preview picture with a play button in case of videos. If you click on this you will get a larger picture but the video does not play.

I have to press download to play the video. Most people will not use this because nowadays it's normal to press play and the movie should start.

In older versions of jalbum / exhibit plus there was no picture preview. Instead there was a symbol which looks like a film reel.

Clicking to this symbol directly plays the movie which was much more intuitive. Is there anyway to get this old behaviour. Which means clicking to the thumbnail with the play button should play the movie and don't show a big still picture.
jGromit

Re: Playing Video is not very intuitive
Posted: 22-Mar-2017 13:02   in response to: timue6 in response to: timue6

ExhibitPlus does not provide video support - you'll notice that the skin page does not indicate that it willl play videos.

The skin predates good browser support for videos. Its developer was killed in a diving accident nine years ago (see the sticky thread at the top of this forum section), and the skin languished. Eventually, it ceased being usable at all. ctwist kindly spent some time with it and fixed the worst of the problems, so that the skin would work with current jAlbum. But adding video support was not on the list.

If you want to display videos in your albums, you should choose a skin that supports them. On the main skin page, just check the Plays video files checkbox to see which skins support them.
timue6

Posted: 22-Mar-2017 17:44   in response to: timue6 in response to: timue6

Thanks for the answer. I know that there was an accident. This is really sad.

I'm using Exhibit Plus since a long, long time (I think more than 10 Years now) because it has some features which I have found in no other skin (e.g. 35mm equivalent exif Data), detailed exif data which is accessible in an easy way.

E.g.
BRENNWEITE: 220.0mm (35mm Brennweite: 586mm)
Focal lenght: 220.0mm (35mm Focal lenght: 586 mm)

Due to that I'm sticking to an old version of Jalbum (8!) just to use Exhibit Plus. I have to use several workarounds because there are crashes if you have to many pictures. I'm happy that there are several updates to Exhibit Plus in 2016. I noticed that some days ago.

Exhibit Plus is sleek and fast without flash. I don't need special video support. With older version of Jalbum <= 10 and Exhibit Plus videos are working perfect. You are getting no preview but simply click on the symbol and the video is played in browser window. Enough video support at all. :)

I have now tried several Jalbum versions and the problem is the video support of Jalbum in combination with Exhibit Plus. Since videos are supported - videos are not usable in a convenient way in Exhibit Plus anymore (little bit ironic).
In the end I have to use the very old version anymore or I have to change to another skin and lose some features. I also like the Turtle Skin but there are still some features missing and it's not so fast and sleek than Exhibit Plus.

Edited by: timue6 on 22-Mar-2017 17:46
jGromit

Posted: 22-Mar-2017 17:57   in response to: timue6 in response to: timue6
Helpful
timue6 wrote:
I'm using Exhibit Plus since a long, long time (I think more than 10 Years now) because it has some features which I have found in no other skin (e.g. 35mm equivalent exif Data), detailed exif data which is accessible in an easy way.

Most skins that allow for the display of EXIF data also provide for the display of the 35mm equivalent focal length - it's built into the jAlbum core functions. Take a look at the Metadata tab of Gromit or the Captions » Metadata tab of Matrix, for example.

Exhibit Plus is sleek and fast without flash.

There is only one current skin that uses Flash. None of the others does.

I don't need special video support.

But that's the irony - because current browsers all have native support for MP4 videos, you don't need any "special" support for videos. My skins all support videos, and do so without needing any "player" software at all - they just pass the videos (all converted to MP4 by the jAlbum core) to the browser. Even Minimal can display videos.

ExhibitPlus doesn't do that, because when it was written, the browsers couldn't handle videos without various add-ons or plug-ins.
timue6

Posted: 22-Mar-2017 21:51   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Thanks for the hint with the 35mm equivalent. I have gone to details now. Exhibit Plus is calculating the value in my case (all my canon cameras which I owned over the year did not fill the 35mm equivalent field). That means I need a skin which does the same and where I like the look and feel.

Concerning older Exhibit Plus / Jalbum <= 10. The difference seems to be that versions > 10 in combination with exhibit are extracting images out of mp4 files and adding a play "button" (which is only an image) and due to that is useless with Exhibit Plus.

Older versions are placing a direct link to the video files which is enough to play the files in combination with correct mime types on server. The only thing which is missing is the preview before playing the video.in the older versions of Jalbum.
jGromit

Posted: 22-Mar-2017 22:08   in response to: timue6 in response to: timue6
Helpful
jAlbum should compute the 35mm equivalent if the camera doesn't provide it, as long as the camera make/model is listed in the camera.properties file (in the jAlbum program file, system subdirectory).

I believe that if you turn off video support in jAlbum, ExhibitPlus will behave the way it used to. It seems to work with an MP4 or MOV video, but no amount of MIME type trickery will get a browser to play a video that's in a format it doesn't support. See Tools, Preferences, Album. Just remember to turn it on if you want to use a current skin.

But do you really want your visitors to be presented with a video on an otherwise empty page, with no navigation and no captions? Ugh.
timue6

Posted: 23-Mar-2017 21:44   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Hello jGromit, thanks again for your answer.

That was exactly what I'm searching for (both parts of the answer). Now I'm happy with the result of both skins!

And the empty page is not so bad. You are getting full screen video in browser window and with back you are back again in the album.

If you like I can link the results but I'm not sure if this is ok to post it here.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums