This question is answered.

Permlink Replies: 12 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 19-Feb-2017 11:10 Last Post By: jimberry Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
jimberry

Where is the "Create new skin" tool located?
Posted: 18-Feb-2017 03:50

Click to reply to this thread Reply
In Tools/External Tools each tool option has a tooltip which identifies the location of the tool.
In Tools/Skin Developer, there is no tooltip for the individual tools.
I am trying to find the location of the "Create new skin" tool so that I can try to modify it to optionally use the currently loaded skin as the base.
I have searched through all the directories under Program Directory and Config directory, and also looked in the wiki external tools page but so far have been unable to recognise the tool for "Create new skin".
jGromit

Re: Where is the "Create new skin" tool located?
Posted: 18-Feb-2017 04:07   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry
Helpful
It's not a standalone tool. It's compiled into the jAlbum core somewhere.
jimberry

Posted: 18-Feb-2017 04:12   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

I wondered if that might be the case, but thought I could remember it being originally introduced as an "external tool" :(
davidekholm

Posted: 18-Feb-2017 09:29   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry

It is a plugin but it's actually part of the JTextPad plugin, located in jAlbum's "ext" folder.
davidekholm

Posted: 18-Feb-2017 09:36   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
Correct
Attachment JTextPad.jar (1.0 MB)
Good idea to select the currently selected skin as base for new skin. That should really be the default. I attach an updated JTextPad plugin. Put it inside jAlbum's "ext" folder.
RobM

Posted: 18-Feb-2017 10:14   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry

jimberry wrote:
I am trying to find the location of the "Create new skin" tool so that I can try to modify it to optionally use the currently loaded skin as the base.
I have searched through all the directories under Program Directory and Config directory, and also looked in the wiki external tools page but so far have been unable to recognise the tool for "Create new skin".
For anyone else interested in the help pages for this, see this developer page or Help/Menus/Tools
jGromit

Posted: 18-Feb-2017 12:46   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
It is a plugin but it's actually part of the JTextPad plugin, located in jAlbum's "ext" folder.

You've buried all sorts of things in there, haven't you! ;)
jimberry

Posted: 18-Feb-2017 15:35   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
Good idea to select the currently selected skin as base for new skin. ...
Thanks for that quick response, David ;-)
I had decided on a sneaky compromise of using a skin named Aardvark (alphabetically advantageous for a JComboBox ), modified from Base with the additional features I required for my own "template skin", but the currently selected skin as an optional selection is perfect for my requirement
jimberry

Posted: 18-Feb-2017 23:22   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

RobM wrote:
For anyone else interested in the help pages for this, see this developer page or Help/Menus/Tools
Rob, your new tool Change skin name looks like an alternative for this updated "Create new skin" tool ;)
RobM

Posted: 19-Feb-2017 00:47   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry

jimberry wrote:
Rob, your new tool Change skin name looks like an alternative for this updated "Create new skin" tool ;)
Not quite. The change skin name tool is mainly to update any or all project settings that use a given skin. It will make a renamed copy of the skin just to save the user some time.

It lets you use an old version of a skin for old projects and the current version for new ones. In particular someone wanted to be able to keep Turtle version 5 but also use version 6 when it comes out. The tool can duplicate the Turtle 5 skin, call it MyTurtle and update all of the projects that use Turtle so they use MyTurtle whilst keeping all of their other project settings.
jimberry

Posted: 19-Feb-2017 02:20   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

Yes, after posting I digested this thread where you proposed and then announced the new 'Change skin name" tool.

While David's updated "Create new skin" tool serves my purpose better, there are enough similarities and overlaps that make me wonder whether it coud be worthwhile to consider (perhaps in a new thread) the pros and cons of combining the two into one more versatile tool.
I will open a new thread to report on some problems I had with trying out your new tool (these problems might be specific to my nonstandard workfllow, so not "bugs" for the normal jAlbum workflow).
RobM

Posted: 19-Feb-2017 10:00   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry

jimberry wrote:
I will open a new thread to report on some problems I had with trying out your new tool (these problems might be specific to my nonstandard workfllow, so not "bugs" for the normal jAlbum workflow).
For nonstandard work flows my tool might not do anything other than create the renamed copy. It searches the 'My Albums' folder for project settings, I could have added a file chooser but it would over complicate it for most users. It could be modified easily to use a different, fixed location.
jimberry

Posted: 19-Feb-2017 11:10   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

RobM wrote:
... I could have added a file chooser but it would over complicate it for most users.
I agree, best to keep it simple.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums