This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 6 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 08-Feb-2017 18:53 Last Post By: sportfile Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
sportfile

Can I add a comment box ?
Posted: 07-Feb-2017 13:52

Click to reply to this thread Reply
I've been using Chameleon for years now but only just noticed the "blog" option. I have a gallery of pictures to each of which I would like to add a comment - anything from a sentence to a paragraph - either to thumbnail or to large image page. Can this be done or does "blog" option mean the gallery can integrate with Wordpress or similar blogging platform ? Out of my depth her and treading water.
jGromit

Re: Can I add a comment box ?
Posted: 07-Feb-2017 14:25   in response to: sportfile in response to: sportfile

Attachment ss002527.png (259,8 KB)
Attachment ss002529.png (95,0 KB)
sportfile wrote:
I've been using Chameleon for years now but only just noticed the "blog" option. I have a gallery of pictures to each of which I would like to add a comment - anything from a sentence to a paragraph - either to thumbnail or to large image page. Can this be done or does "blog" option mean the gallery can integrate with Wordpress or similar blogging platform ? Out of my depth her and treading water.

To add text to the slide page (the large image), just enter a comment for each image. This has nothing to do with the "blog" layout.

To have your added comments (or other text) appear below the thumbnails, just go to Chameleon > Thumbnails > Text to display, and check the boxes for what you want. Again, this has nothing to do with the "blog" layout.

The "blog" layout just changes the appearance of the thumbnail page. See the two screenshots, attached. It's not an actual blog, like something WordPress would do - it's just a different arrangement of the thumbnail page.

Why don't you just create a small test album and experiment with the settings? That would be easier, I think, that relying on verbal descriptions of what each setting does.
sportfile

Posted: 07-Feb-2017 19:10   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Thanks for that. Some progress has now been made . Confusing that the tick boxes for the gallery do not match either Photoshop File info boxes or Photo Mechanic - but with pencil and paper records I'll get round that. More annoying is that when experimenting certain settings seem to "stick". To explain I have added comments in PotoMechanic caption area and these show up correctly when I add them in thumbnail and Image pages. But they stay there even when unticked and the gallery preview renewed. Glitch perhaps. Also while experimenting I note that those thumbnails with comments added are moved down the thumbnail list and are sometimes completely invisible on the opening screen. The notes I wish to add are crammed into a very small space - anyone recommend a skin that allows for equally important text ideally in a frame on the thumbnail page ?? Asking a lot I knowq but if I don't ask...
jGromit

Posted: 07-Feb-2017 19:44   in response to: sportfile in response to: sportfile

If you're entering comments in some other application, jAlbum might not be able to pick them up at all. If they're being written to the image file's metadata somewhere, jAlbum can sometimes access them - see the choices under Album > Settings > Advanced > Metadata > Comment sources.

If you tell Chameleon to display a comment below the thumbnail, for example, that's what it will do. If you then un-tick that box, make the album again, and preview it again, there will be no comment below the thumbnail. Just make sure you're letting jAlbum process all subdirectories - under Album > Settings > Advanced > General, do not check Process only updated subdirectories.

When it comes to displaying large amounts of text on thumbnails, that's misguided, in my opinion. The purpose of a table of thumbnails is to give the site visitor an easy way to access the full-sized image, with all of its other information - title, comment, perhaps photographic info, and so on. I think it's a mistake to try to jam everything into one opening page. A short caption on a thumbnail is fine, but more than that is just overkill.

Because of that design philosophy, skins generally don't provide for large amounts of text on the thumbnails. It defeats the purpose of an index of thumbnails.
sportfile

Posted: 07-Feb-2017 21:54   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Excellent info - many thanks. Correct about too much on thumbnail page - so with the image itself then - only I naturally want a big belt of picture on the screen By closing and e-opening the project it was possible to clear "stick2 options - your check boxes may do that more elegantly and reliably. Thanks again
jGromit

Posted: 07-Feb-2017 22:25   in response to: sportfile in response to: sportfile

Chameleon hasn't been updated in several years, and isn't supported any longer. Even if there is a bug, it won't be fixed.
sportfile

Posted: 08-Feb-2017 18:53   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Haven't been updated myself for a while - but trucking on. Thanks for help everybody. Not quite what I'd dreamed of but mission accomplished in a cut-down way. The dream would be a comments window beside the image which would self-size according to content and if really pushed would enlarge with mouse over - no idea how that would be done but I bet there's someone saying "too easy" right now. Thanks again
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums