This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 0. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 59 - Pages: 4 [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ] - Last Post: 25-Jan-2017 07:44 Last Post By: Laza Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
ChuckT

Base Skin Pimped with a new init.bsh
Posted: 11-Jan-2017 18:38

Click to reply to this thread Reply
I am trying to use the Base Skin Pimped with a custom background color.
In studying jAlbum and these forums I found this message string:
http://jalbum.net/forum/thread.jspa?threadID=46865&start=15&tstart=0
The steps discussed seemed like they would allow me to display an image's actual File Name on the Slide Page.

I tried substituting in the init.bsh file, as mentioned, and got an error.

I tried to modify the new init.bsh with string that's mentioned
if ( slideShowTitle ) {
// sb.append("" + title.replaceAll("_", " ") + "");
sb.append("Image Ref: " + label);
if(fileTitle != void && fileTitle != null) sb.append(" - " + fileTitle.replaceAll("_", " "));
sb.append("
");
}
but I still get an error.
Is there a trick to saving a modified skin that I'm un-aware of?
jGromit

Re: Base Skin Pimped with a new init.bsh
Posted: 11-Jan-2017 19:07   in response to: ChuckT in response to: ChuckT
Helpful
Attachment init.bsh (9,8 KB)
That's because the skin has been updated since that post, and the code in question has been changed. So, the "solution" proposed no longer works.

Try the attached init.bsh, instead. I've commented the altered section of it. This will display Image Ref:, followed by the raw file name (minus its extension), and then the file title, if you've entered one.
ChuckT

Posted: 11-Jan-2017 19:51   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Thank you for that answer.

At the same time I went back, created a new skin with a custom name and commented out lines in the init.bsh with "//" and added in the 5 lines from the discussion (and I guess the base skin was updated?).

Now I am seeing "Image Ref:" <file name> a dash <-> plus the image Title. So that worked.

I am still puzzling over the Background Color in the Settings/Design tab. If I search with "All documents checked I see several lines that define(?) the background color but which is the one I need to change/check to see if my change was retained?

TIA
cvt
jGromit

Posted: 11-Jan-2017 19:56   in response to: ChuckT in response to: ChuckT

Sorry, I don't understand the question. If you want a different background color, just choose the color you want on the Design tab, make the album, and save the album project. If you always want to use Base, and always want to use that background color, choose File, Save as Default.
ChuckT

Posted: 11-Jan-2017 20:05   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Thanks I will do that.

By way of explanation there are several of us creating Web Galleries and they all need to match, to a reasonable extent. If I can get this purchased I need to save the skin as a "boilerplate" for others to use.

jAlbum is quick. We are looking at it as a substitute for the Adobe/Bridge Output module. We wish it did Metadata editing also.
jGromit

Posted: 11-Jan-2017 20:12   in response to: ChuckT in response to: ChuckT

If you want to make a change to the Pimped style, so that anyone using your copy of the skin will get your custom background color, you can open the skin editor, then open the styles/Pimped.jap file (it's just a text file). Change the first line (careful about syntax - no semicolons, no quoted strings) and save it.
jGromit

Posted: 11-Jan-2017 20:22   in response to: ChuckT in response to: ChuckT

ChuckT wrote:
At the same time I went back, created a new skin with a custom name and commented out lines in the init.bsh with "//" and added in the 5 lines from the discussion (and I guess the base skin was updated?).

Be careful about trying to plug custom code from one version of the skin into another version. Things change - there may be different CSS classes, variable names may have been changed, or the HTML structure may have changed. You could easily end up with a page that may look OK, but that doesn't validate, or that misbehaves in odd ways.
ChuckT

Posted: 11-Jan-2017 21:40   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Ok, I'll copy in your last init.bsh and make sure the color is set right and leave well enough alone.

A question on the setting - on the Slide Page tab - why is the test (metadata fields?) greyed out?

I just looked and the jpegs generated by jalbum seem to have all the metadata wiped is this connected?
jGromit

Posted: 11-Jan-2017 22:52   in response to: ChuckT in response to: ChuckT

ChuckT wrote:
A question on the setting - on the Slide Page tab - why is the test (metadata fields?) greyed out?

On the Slide Page tab, if you check the Photo data box, you can then edit the large field below and specify which metadata fields you want to display on the slide pages.

I just looked and the jpegs generated by jalbum seem to have all the metadata wiped is this connected?

See Album > Settings > Advanced > Metadata > Include photographic data in generated images (the second checkbox in the lower section).
ChuckT

Posted: 12-Jan-2017 14:57   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

By: "On the Slide Page tab, if you check the Photo data box, you can then edit the large field below and specify which metadata fields you want to display on the slide pages." I guess you mean delete some and leave others?
jGromit

Posted: 12-Jan-2017 15:07   in response to: ChuckT in response to: ChuckT

That's right. They're comma-separated, with bars separating the "or" choices.

But that applies only to what is shown on the slide page. The other setting - Include photographic data in generated images - applies to what's actually contained within the images. You can't pick and choose there - it's all or nothing.
ChuckT

Posted: 12-Jan-2017 16:08   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

What we are accustom to working with (the Adobe Bridge Metadata panel) and what ideally would be displayed is
"File Properties/Filename" and
"IPTC/Document Title".
"Camera Data (Exif)/Date Time Original" would also be nice to see.

If I copy them in as them in as "File Properties/Filename, IPTC/Document Title, Camera Data (Exif)/Date Time Original" will that work?
ChuckT

Posted: 12-Jan-2017 16:14   in response to: ChuckT in response to: ChuckT

Nope. using the last init.bsh (copy and paste in, save, set as default) I'm getting the background color I like and the file name but not the document title.
Drat
jGromit

Posted: 12-Jan-2017 16:17   in response to: ChuckT in response to: ChuckT

I'm going to have to turn this one over to Laza, since I have never quite understood how he specifies metadata fields in his skins. I'll move this thread to the Base section of the forum, so he'll see it.

One thing I can tell you immediately, however, is that the file name is not metadata, and can't be accessed as if it were, unless a skin goes out of its way to make that possible (mine do, but it's not done by accessing the jAlbum meta variable - I've introduced separate coding to grab that bit of information).
ChuckT

Posted: 12-Jan-2017 16:20   in response to: ChuckT in response to: ChuckT

Am I doing this correctly?
Screen shot attached
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums