This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 16 - Pages: 2 [ 1 2 | Next ] - Last Post: 15 Sep 16, 10:46 Last Post By: davidekholm Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
tdhcsc

Is there any way to automatically make a sub-folder under public_html?
Posted: 13 Sep 16, 17:25

Click to reply to this thread Reply
I have my own website domain and server. Haven't purchased Jalbum yet but am still trying it out. I've found that when I select 'publish' I get a message box telling me I need to make a sub-folder under the public_html folder. In order to do that I need to make a folder when the upload/manage box opens up. I think there should be a way to have that happen automatically.

So,,

Is there any way for Jalbum to automatically make a sub-folder with the albums name under the public_html folder on my server? Not making a new folder overwrites the last album. I'm afraid to allow my wife to upload as she may forget that step.
RobM

Re: Is there any way to automatically make a sub-folder under public_html?
Posted: 13 Sep 16, 22:48   in response to: tdhcsc in response to: tdhcsc

See if this page helps: http://jalbum.net/help/en/Publish_to_your_own_site
or this page http://jalbum.net/help/en/jAlbum/Upload

jAlbum tries to avoid overwriting existing web pages as many users are not used to FTPing and managing websites.
jimberry

Posted: 14 Sep 16, 02:06   in response to: tdhcsc in response to: tdhcsc

tdhcsc wrote:
... I think there should be a way to have that happen automatically.
I agree :).
For me it does happen automatically, but that is largely because I don't use jAlbum's defaults.
For each separate album project, I specify a unique folder as the output destination (e.g. c://webalbums/project01, not just "album" relative to the image directory).
Then when I upload the finished album (using FileZilla instead of jAlbum's uploader) I upload that directory (not just the contents) so there is no need to specifically create a destination directory on the server.
Is it not possible for jAlbum to use a similar procedure?
davidekholm

Posted: 14 Sep 16, 12:00   in response to: tdhcsc in response to: tdhcsc

tdhcsc wrote:
Is there any way for Jalbum to automatically make a sub-folder with the albums name under the public_html folder on my server? Not making a new folder overwrites the last album. I'm afraid to allow my wife to upload as she may forget that step.

It should be. Select Tools->Upload/Manage, then connect to your account. Now right click the "public_html" folder and select "Mark as web root". Once this is done, closing the upload window and hitting the Upload button should make jAlbum propose to create a sub folder under the public_html folder and to upload the album contents to it.
karlmistelberger

Posted: 14 Sep 16, 12:43   in response to: tdhcsc in response to: tdhcsc

tdhcsc wrote:
Is there any way for Jalbum to automatically make a sub-folder with the albums name under the public_html folder on my server?

When adding a new connection you need to:

• specify webroot (only when adding the connection); different servers have different names, your server has public_html, mine has html as webroot

• create new directory (when uploading a new album), name defaults to local album path's leaf directory, which is what most users want to have
Not making a new folder overwrites the last album

There is a pretty clear warning, see screen shot. Only ignoring this warning will overwrite the last album. But obviously the overwrite occurs when the wrong album is selected. jAlbum could print a warning in this case too.

davidekholm wrote:
Once this is done, closing the upload window and hitting the Upload button should make jAlbum propose to create a sub folder under the public_html folder and to upload the album contents to it.

That worked differently with v13.5b3 just an hour ago. This is also not described in the documentation with detail required for novice users.

Edited by: karlmistelberger on 14-Sep-2016 13:04
davidekholm

Posted: 14 Sep 16, 13:58   in response to: karlmistelberger in response to: karlmistelberger

karlmistelberger wrote:

That worked differently with v13.5b3 just an hour ago.

In what regard?
karlmistelberger

Posted: 14 Sep 16, 14:08   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
karlmistelberger wrote:

In what regard?

jAlbum did not propose to create a new directory. You need click "create new directory" first. Then it proposes a useful default.

What is really annoying: When a wrong directory happens to be selected it overwrites e.g. some 14 GB of data on the server without further asking for confirmation. Then it takes several days of upload to recover from this mishap.
davidekholm

Posted: 14 Sep 16, 15:27   in response to: karlmistelberger in response to: karlmistelberger

karlmistelberger wrote:
davidekholm wrote:
karlmistelberger wrote:

In what regard?

jAlbum did not propose to create a new directory. You need click "create new directory" first. Then it proposes a useful default.

You're right. If one uploads to one's own ftp server one has to first click the "New folder" button in order to have jAlbum suggest a sub folder.

What is really annoying: When a wrong directory happens to be selected it overwrites e.g. some 14 GB of data on the server without further asking for confirmation. Then it takes several days of upload to recover from this mishap.

It could only happen if you selected another album folder, not just any folder, but I see the potential problem. The challenge is to know whether this is the same album or not.
karlmistelberger

Posted: 14 Sep 16, 19:37   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
It could only happen if you selected another album folder, not just any folder, but I see the potential problem. The challenge is to know whether this is the same album or not.

My proposal is straight forward (see screen shots):

• show the simple form when local and server folder names match

• show the "expert" form if they don't match
jimberry

Posted: 15 Sep 16, 02:25   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

This is a problem which keeps cropping up and seems to always require a lengthy discussion.

This seems to indicate that there is something about the process that some people find hard to understand.

If jAlbum, when first setting up the project, required the user to set the name of the output directory to the name required as the target for the upload, and then uploaded that sub-directory instead of uploading the contents of a folder always named "album", wouldn't this persistent problem just disappear?
JeffTucker

Posted: 15 Sep 16, 03:22   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry

Then it would be replaced by a new confusion, with the image/project directory and the output directory usually having the same name, wouldn't it?
jimberry

Posted: 15 Sep 16, 05:01   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

I doubt it would be as confusing as the present situation appears to be for some.
And it would be no more confusing than having the local folder and the online folder with different names.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I am sure the bright minds of Stockholm could come up with a better solution.

Edited by: jimberry on 15-Sep-2016 11:34
karlmistelberger

Posted: 15 Sep 16, 07:10   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry

jimberry wrote:
If jAlbum, when first setting up the project, required the user to set the name of the output directory to the name required as the target for the upload, and then uploaded that sub-directory instead of uploading the contents of a folder always named "album", wouldn't this persistent problem just disappear?

The current default behavior is fine. But clicking "Change Location" on the upload window opens a far too complex window with many icons. Most users would want to change one of the following:
  • webroot
  • directory name of album on the server
Only very few would actually use the complex window opening in the current version.
jimberry

Posted: 15 Sep 16, 07:22   in response to: karlmistelberger in response to: karlmistelberger

karlmistelberger wrote:
The current default behavior is fine.
If it is fine, why are there so many users who have trouble uploading their albums to the root?
karlmistelberger

Posted: 15 Sep 16, 07:49   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry

jimberry wrote:
karlmistelberger wrote:
The current default behavior is fine.
If it is fine, why are there so many users who have trouble uploading their albums to the root?

This is because the behavior is fine only with jalbum.net. Uploading to your own server is not fine at all.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums