This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 3 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 18-Jul-2016 14:39 Last Post By: RobM Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
jemostrom

Stupid questions: collaborative albums, uploading from mobile, etc
Posted: 17-Jul-2016 17:32

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Here are a few, what I assume, stupid questions. I have only used self-hosted albums, except for trying the online version many years ago (so I can't really test things myself).

Collaborative Albums: I assume they are a jalbum.net feature only (I don't really know how you can get it to work otherwise)?

Creating albums from mobile: It looks like I can create online albums and upload photos from the iOS client? (when I try the program it doesn't list any photos to select - despite some 3000+ images available - so I can't complete the process and check myself. I assume this is because I don't have online storage available)

For photos that have been uploaded to any of those, do they become available to my local client when I sync? That is, if I create a collaborative album, upload it to jalbum.net and some person add a couple of photos, do the originals of these photos download to my local computer when I sync the next time?
jGromit

Re: Stupid questions: collaborative albums, uploading from mobile, etc
Posted: 17-Jul-2016 18:50   in response to: jemostrom in response to: jemostrom

jemostrom wrote:
Collaborative Albums: I assume they are a jalbum.net feature only....

No, the album can be hosted anywhere. Other people can't automatically add images to a collaborative album. When you make an album project "collaborative," you are simply creating a way for other people (those you invite) to upload candidate images (via email) to be used in the album. When you open the project in the desktop application on your PC, those images are downloaded, and you can then decide whether to include them or not. Once you've made your choices, you make the album and upload it to wherever you're hosting it, just like you normally would. You don't need a storage account, since the album is not necessarily being hosted on jalbum.net. The space used for candidate images is free, and they are deleted from the server as soon as you sync them to the album project on your PC.

Collaborative albums really have nothing to do with "online jAlbum" - they're not created with the online jAlbum webpage, but are created with the desktop application.

It looks like I can create online albums and upload photos from the iOS client?

Yes, that's correct.

...when I try the program it doesn't list any photos to select - despite some 3000+ images available - so I can't complete the process and check myself. I assume this is because I don't have online storage available....

I believe that's correct, but I can't swear to it - someone else should test.

For photos that have been uploaded to any of those, do they become available to my local client when I sync?

No. When you use jAlbum for iOS or Android, you're using online jAlbum. It defaults to using the Turtle skin for the album, but when viewed on a mobile, it's not using any of the regular skins - it's using a special routine to show the images on a mobile.

These are not collaborative albums. No one else can upload images, or add anything to them. They don't exist as album projects on your own PC. They exist only within online jAlbum, for which you must have a storage account.
jemostrom

Posted: 18-Jul-2016 13:16   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Thanks, that clarifies things (I thought that photos submitted to a collaborative album showed up at once - which would open for some serious spam issues).
RobM

Posted: 18-Jul-2016 14:38   in response to: jemostrom in response to: jemostrom

jemostrom wrote:
Creating albums from mobile: It looks like I can create online albums and upload photos from the iOS client? (when I try the program it doesn't list any photos to select - despite some 3000+ images available - so I can't complete the process and check myself. I assume this is because I don't have online storage available)
I can select images from the camera roll, Skitch and Dropbox applications but the full photo library is a problem. It might be the number of images in the library just takes so long for the app to update the thumbnail selection images that we give up before it completes? Or it could be that the number of images is causing a memory or some other application issue.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums