This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 9 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 06-May-2017 21:16 Last Post By: RobM Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
wolf-skate

external upload assistance tools
Posted: 01-Apr-2016 11:46

Click to reply to this thread Reply
partly prompted by the problems I had last evening/night
http://jalbum.net/forum/thread.jspa?threadID=51141&tstart=0

would it be possible to supply external tools to support
1) generation/refreshing of manifest file -> upload it (to avoid having huge albums re-uploaded just for this purpose)
2) video file cleaning (removing from folder roots in local albums..and moving from folder roots to slides folder on server side)
3) lifeboat generation (independent of JA upload procedure, as also jGromit has asked several times)

thanks

/wolf-skate
davidekholm

Re: external upload assistance tools
Posted: 01-Apr-2016 16:00   in response to: wolf-skate in response to: wolf-skate

Here's an external tool to create a lifeboat file. I'm sorry but I doubt it's worthwhile for me to create an external tool to move video files around. It takes a signinificant effort and risk is (as with any automation) that something bugs out and you get data loss. I figure that manually moving your video files using FileZilla or jAlbum doesn't really take that long if you want to avoid re-uploading
jGromit

Posted: 01-Apr-2016 16:04   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

I've always thought the lifeboat file inclusion should be moved from Preferences > Publishing to somewhere like Settings > Advanced > General. The lifeboat file would be created whenever you make the album, not when you upload it. That way, it's available no matter how you do your uploading.
davidekholm

Posted: 01-Apr-2016 16:09   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:
I've always thought the lifeboat file inclusion should be moved from Preferences > Publishing to somewhere like Settings > Advanced > General. The lifeboat file would be created whenever you make the album, not when you upload it. That way, it's available no matter how you do your uploading.

It's likely to happen. My main concern with that is to avoid lenghty background lifeboat generation for huge albums every time the album is re-generated that eats CPU cycles from refreshing and browsing the newly made album or foreground processing that blocks user intervention.
jGromit

Posted: 01-Apr-2016 16:13   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Yes, I was just thinking about that. For most albums, not a big deal, but we get users who are plowing through albums that contain tens of thousands of images. And unlike restricting album building to only updated subdirectories, I guess there's no way to regenerate only part of the lifeboat file.

Perhaps you could use the magicWand() method. ;)

Edit: Just tried the new tool on an existing 20-folder, 2000-object album, and it creates the lifeboat file in a heartbeat. Maybe this isn't really a problem, after all. If it were including the images (or even the cached thumbnail images), it would be a killer, but since it's just the text files, it will probably go very quickly on all but the most massive of albums.

Edited by: jGromit on 01-Apr-2016 10:22
jGromit

Posted: 01-Apr-2016 16:19   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
...risk is (as with any automation) that something bugs out and you get data loss.

Agree. Trying to figure out, reliably, what files should be present on the server, and where they should be, is sort of a high-wire act, with the possibility of a bad fall. On a server, there's no "recycle bin" that you can turn to if things go horribly wrong.

Even most mature FTP client programs like FileZilla don't offer an option to force synchronization of the local and server files - it's just too risky.
wolf-skate

Posted: 01-Apr-2016 17:19   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

thanx for the lifeboat tool, I simply dump it in folder w other tools I guess

yes I can use FileZilla for server side moving files, but manual procedure is not fool proof either = I might accidentally drag and drop the files in wrong place being 'blind eyed' from all the folder traversal

wrt local album I still don't see 'moving' but 'copying' of files by JA (all my videos marked as 'do not re-encode') = the 'old' videos still reside in original folder root as well. This one should be easier for JA to handle automatically (i.e. a true moving) as you know where you used to 'stash' them and where you want them to be now
jGromit

Posted: 01-Apr-2016 17:32   in response to: wolf-skate in response to: wolf-skate

wolf-skate wrote:
wrt local album I still don't see 'moving' but 'copying' of files by JA (all my videos marked as 'do not re-encode') = the 'old' videos still reside in original folder root as well. This one should be easier for JA to handle automatically (i.e. a true moving) as you know where you used to 'stash' them and where you want them to be now

Yes, if videos are marked "Do not re-encode," jAlbum doesn't move them to slides, and you end up with two copies when you make the album again. Flagged as the first item on my bug list: http://jalbum.net/forum/thread.jspa?threadID=44354
RobM

Posted: 07-Aug-2016 00:31   in response to: wolf-skate in response to: wolf-skate

Users that modify a skin might like to have a back of the skin as well as the lifeboat file.
There is a modified version of David's tool that creates the lifeboat file and adds a zipped version of the skin to the album's root directory.

It is left as a zip file to be manually installed, rather than as a jaskin, as double-clicking a jaskin file might overwrite a newer version the modified skin.
RobM

Posted: 06-May-2017 21:16   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

The tool requires that the album has been built, as it requires the output directory to exist.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums